Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
RedSea

riffe questions

hi all
i have a riffe #3 standard, it came with 55" threaded shaft 5/16" dia. with a large 2 barbs spearhead and 3 bands 24" long and 9/16" dia.
the problem is i'm not satisfied with the speed of the spearshaft and i wanna do some changes to the gun. my questions are: if i changed my spear shaft to a 57" long 9/32" dia. with hawaian flopper, will it make it faster? or do i still have to upgrade the rubbers to 5/8"? and if i have to, what length should i go with?
thanx.
RedSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Lobsterman
Lobsterman

Re: riffe questions

You should get more speed out of a thinner diameter shaft. Sometimes, increasing band diameter means "kick-back" as the shaft leaves the gun. Sometimes. But a thinner shaft, or a "speed shaft" with a flopper should get you the extra speed you are looking for. If it's still not enough, try going to a slightly smaller band. In other words, keep the 5/8ths, but go from a 24" to a 22".

Good luck!
Lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
TriggerFish

I use a 9/32 Hawaiian shaft on that set up with two 24 inch 5/8 bands and find it to be a perfect. Very fast, but accuracy is an issue if not in a firm shooting position. You will be better off even if you only change the shaft and shoot with two 9/16 bands loaded to the last tab. imho.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Killa

Try thr 9/32 spear with two 9/16 bands OR two 5/8 bands.

Don't shorten the bands, you may loose acuracy.
Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Change the shaft to a 9/32 55" is long enough, keep your bands the same -use 2 bands for less then 12 ft shots and three for the larger prey and longer shots. It gives you more flexibility.
If you decide to go with the 5/8 bands two is all your'll need.

I'd change the shooting line to a smaller diameter line, the riffe line is really thick. 300-400 lb test is what I use on my reef gun. On my wreck gun is SS Teflon Coated cable but you don't need that unless you dive the rigs.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote