Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Seaholic
To blend with the blue

Deviated Septum and equalizing

Hey all, I was wondering if having a deviated septum has anything to do with equalizing.

I just had a surgery to get my septum fixed, doctor said I need a couple of weeks till i can get back in the water. I am wondering if there is a chance that I am going to equalize a little better now. If so, I am going to be so excited . I never really had a problem equalizing but I always had to pinch my nose to do so , I would love to be able to equalize with no hands like some of my dive bodies....

Please please please someone tell me it is going to help ....

Richard Balta

Spear America
Seaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Reelfrogman

Re: Deviated Septum and equalizing

Richard,
Let me know how your surgery goes. I have a deviated septum as well. I can clear by swallowing most of the time but once in awhile(cold water with a hood, or at the end of the day) I have trouble clearing (always my left ear) which is the same side nostral that I get less air through.
Wayne
Reelfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Reelfrogman

Richard,
Let me know how your surgery goes. I have a deviated septum as well. I can clear by swallowing most of the time but once in awhile(cold water with a hood, or at the end of the day) I have trouble clearing (always my left ear) which is the same side nostral that I get less air through.
Wayne
Reelfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
bgbill

I have a deviated sptum and had septo-rhinoplasty,
the worst surgery I have ever had in my life (I even had brain surgery 20 years ago and a vasectomy 5 years ago).

I have no problems clearing, BTW the septo-rhinoplasty didn't help..
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
JAW

Richard, call me I want to hear about the surgery...

I don't think the septum will affect the way your ears clear very much. If you remeber I clear w/o hands and the only time I have problems is when my sinuses lock up and then there is nothing I can do about it except bleed everywhere and stop diving.

I am looking into endoscopic sinus surgery so I don't keep getting sinus infections, as well as getting my septum fixed. My sinuses are the only thing holding me back and you guys all bitch when everything smells like vicks boiling on the stove.....

Jason
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #6
alldayreese

Any updates on this old post? I have also have a Deviated Septum the doc says I am 90% block through my nose because of it.

And when diving, I often have issues where I hit a wall around 35' but sometimes I can equalize if I take my time for additional 20 sec, but then again I hit this issues at 40'

Stay Calm.....
alldayreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayreese View Post
Any updates on this old post? I have also have a Deviated Septum the doc says I am 90% block through my nose because of it.

And when diving, I often have issues where I hit a wall around 35' but sometimes I can equalize if I take my time for additional 20 sec, but then again I hit this issues at 40'
Wow, 12 yrs later. I'd recommend Afrin prior and trying to clear the whole way down until you figure out your necessary clear points. Remember, the pressure curve isn't linear.

I've an issue whereby that little check valve to the ear canal is different from the other one...hence, one clears a whole lot easier. I have to compensate. Regulate. Investigate. Delegate. Legislate. Negate. Segregate....must have been something I ate.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
Dbrown

Divers Alert Network (DAN) has plenty of published information on ear clearing and deviated septum.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote