Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Charles dT

How do you equalize when you have a speargun and a light?

Hi everyone,

Had the opportunity to do a night dive (freediving, 30 to 45ft) for the first time of my life this week-end and suddenly realized on my first drop that my hands were full, with a speargun in one and a dive light in the other!

Long story short I was just curious to know from those who are frequently in that situation, what do you guys do? every time I had to equalize I had to let go of the lamp and have it hanging by the lanyard and flashing all over the place.
My dive buddy had his lamp on a wrist holder and was saying it wasn't optimum either as you are basically putting the flashlight straight to your eyes every time you equalize.

Hands free equalization seems to be a rare gift but I will be experimenting with that. As mentioned some light models can be on mounted on a holder an the wrist which frees up your hand, some folks have the light on the speargun, maybe for that reason too...

What do you guys do and why?

Would love the collective wisdom to surface.. thanks guys!
C.
Charles dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Re: How do you equalize when you have a speargun and a light?

First but not foremost, if you learn how to Frenzel you won't need both hands... but as you mentioned it takes some significant practice...

Assuming you're using the Valsalva method for equalization: Get a bungee lanyard for your flashlight and either secure it to your wrist or your elbow (<- my preference). You can then keep that hand free for equalization and/or hold it with the same hand as your speargun Other options are mount the light to your speargun or mask (subject to the type of light you have). Depending on your lanyard, the lanyard may have enough stretch to still comfortably use the light with your hand. I find this keeps it out of the way on the descent until you need it. I use an Octatorch that has a magnetic push button switch at the back. It's pretty easy to activate it once you get it in your hand and need it if you day dive, but if you dive at night use the low setting so it will last the duration of your dive unless you wanna switch batteries mid-session. I've used the wrist-mount and it's not ideal.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Charles dT

Hi,

Thanks!
I already do Frenzel, one handed.... I think. I didn't know that until recently but researching this topic I realized I do since I can equalize with empty lungs, chest doesn't move, adam's apple does etc so must be doing Frenzel. However even with one hand if that hand is holding a lamp I've found it awkward / clunky

I like the idea of having the lamp on a lanyard on the gun, was going to be my next test and since you suggest it too I 'll give a go!

Any other techniques you guys use?

C.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles dT View Post
Hi everyone,

Had the opportunity to do a night dive (freediving, 30 to 45ft) for the first time of my life this week-end and suddenly realized on my first drop that my hands were full, with a speargun in one and a dive light in the other!

Long story short I was just curious to know from those who are frequently in that situation, what do you guys do? every time I had to equalize I had to let go of the lamp and have it hanging by the lanyard and flashing all over the place.
My dive buddy had his lamp on a wrist holder and was saying it wasn't optimum either as you are basically putting the flashlight straight to your eyes every time you equalize.

Hands free equalization seems to be a rare gift but I will be experimenting with that. As mentioned some light models can be on mounted on a holder an the wrist which frees up your hand, some folks have the light on the speargun, maybe for that reason too...

What do you guys do and why?

Would love the collective wisdom to surface.. thanks guys!
C.
We offer a wrist mount (and a really great light).

One trick you might be able to manage is instead of squeezing your nose and presumably having the end of the light pointing up toward your face, you just use your index finger to push the bottom of the mask skirt up and thus sealing your nostrils. That way the light stays at 90 degrees to your face.

Might not work for all people with all masks?

https://www.makospearguns.com/Wrist-...er-p/mwgfh.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!

Last edited by MAKO Spearguns; 05-30-2018 at 09:52 PM.
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
Charles dT

Thanks Dano :-)

I'll try what you say sounds interesting. But the other night I had a huge flashlight from my buddy and that wouldn't have worked.

on the picture, that's exactly the light I have... didn't buy the wrist mount at the time but might have to
Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
Ryang85

I always dive with a flashlight( unless im in baja). Keep your gun in your right hand and the flashlight with a stretchy wrist lanyard in your left, i grab the lanyard in my hand so the light it tight against my hand and my thumb and pointer finger are free. Sometimes i get slapped in the face when clearing with the flashlight but usualy its not an issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ryang85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
SubSub

Hands free EQ. Works for me as deep as I can go ≈ 25m

But I still have my lamp attached ti the wrist with a stretchy lanyard. so I can do other stuff with my free hand.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
Wood Guy

I think you're making it harder than it needs to be. Mako sells mounts that attach the light to the gun, depending on what gun you are using, which is probably the best way to go. We usually tank dive, and use lights to look into the wrecks we dive on, so we have light mounts on all of our guns. For mine, I made a delrin track that the light mount that I made slides forward when I need it, and back by the handle when not needed. However you do it, the light mounted on the gun seems to work best for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03924.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	238234   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03926.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	238235   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03930.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	238236   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03934.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	238237  
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
popgun pete

Always carry two flashlights, you can buy really tiny waterproof USB rechargeable lights that will do for a spare and hang your main light on a belt clip or on the gun if it has a clip on the butt when you need to free your hand. The small flashlight can even go in the back of your non-gun hand glove. That way you can access a light if you drop stuff in the dark. My main light is a Skyray with 3 x 18650 batteries and it is no lightweight, so in case I get the fumble fingers I know another bright light source is in my glove.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote