Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #31
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkey Fish
I have a manual one that I made from a old bc. I can blow up if I get into trouble. Never needed it yet but its good to know its their. How much is TMass going to sell these things for ? I think they should change the yummy yellow color. They proved sharks like yellow. What would be the purpose of wearing a camo suit and a bright yellow vest ?

If you go back and look you will see that the vest is indeed blue. The yellow is the inflation pockets coming out when activated. Blue I think is a perfect color for bluewater hunters. Im sure they will make other colors once it is released on the market to suit all divers needs.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #32
tommy7

Terry, I echo the "WELCOME Aboard"! It will be intersting to see how many people use this great tool. I think that maybe any male under the age of 25 should have to wear it. I personally would not wear 1 but I don't wear a shark pod either
Tommy
Old 02-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #33
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy7
Terry, I echo the "WELCOME Aboard"! It will be intersting to see how many people use this great tool. I think that maybe any male under the age of 25 should have to wear it. I personally would not wear 1 but I don't wear a shark pod either
Tommy

Why "should" any male under 25 have to wear it? And what do you mean by should? As in mandatory? Don't feel bad I do not wear a SS either.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:00 AM   #34
sp9hzx

Send a message via Skype™ to sp9hzx

Such vest would be a great idea
sp9hzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #35
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

I have been using the sailors vest since about 2000. I have deployed the vest about five times, one time from 105, once from 103 and once from 92. Each time I was able to relax my muscles and float to the surface with my head surrounded by the vest.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #36
Cliffsharker
80 foot cliff sharking

Send a message via MSN to Cliffsharker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearo_Fla
I have been using the sailors vest since about 2000. I have deployed the vest about five times, one time from 105, once from 103 and once from 92. Each time I was able to relax my muscles and float to the surface with my head surrounded by the vest.
John can you tell me how quickly do you rise compared to if you were to fin it to the top...just interested in the approximate speed . Is your vest fairly aerodynamic ?? Any more info would be appreciated ...where can I order one, price,etc??

Does any one have any idea when this vest will be on the market ...this year or will the patent take much longer??

Thanks.
Cliffsharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #37
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

I bought it at West marine. It was less then $100 bucks. It has two inflation bellows on each side of your chest that inflate when the CO2 is activated. They fold close with velcro. Its very, then around 40 ft things start to pick up, and by 20 ft your flying. I have used it to assist to surface even when fighting fish. Gives me and extra boost!

In the end the user still must determine to pull the vest. I used it when I saw 80 ft or more of water above me and my legs were burning bad. Speedy is right, it could be mis-used just like anything else. It could give young guns a false sense of security.

Chasin your right. It not newbies -it's novices. Newbies with enough experience to push themselves too far but not enough to recognize the body signals.

John Bettua
Old 02-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #38
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

I used to wear a vest while freediving as a kid. It was a CO2 powered gizmo with an oral inflator. This was before we ever heard of any sort of BC, they were worn by pretty much everyone in the dive club & considered essential gear.

Popping a 16 gram CO2 cartridge doesn't do much below about 30 to 40 FSW, but above that it provided enough gas to inflate it & provide lift. On the surface it would float me face & head up.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #39
Grin

I don't do any serious freediving like many here, but I'm thinking the vest might be more than most are willing to use. Something smaller that does nothing but bring you to the surface in case of SWB, for others to rescue you might be used by more people. Yes face above the water is great and prefered! But smaller and just being floated up to where you can be gotten to by the boat for a 95% chance of survival instead of sinking to zero chance, might be accepted much better. The auto function is a must. All that is needed is to make it to easy and small enough to not be able to avoid using it. The first thing that went through my mind when I saw it was, not many will wear it all the time. Seems to me just a programmable self deploying type lift bag that slips on the weightbelt or something would be much better accepted.
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #40
PatMyGreen
Panama City Diving

This vest is a fantastic idea, even more so if it can be made affordably!
PatMyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #41
Logan

Welcome to the board Mr. Maas! Your book has been an inspiration and great source of info. Keep up the great contributions.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #42
muenchk
Ken Muench

Congratulations. Great idea. And you're right "It's about time."

If the price is decent, I'm in for sure.

I've been free-diving for about 10 years ...have taken the Perfromance Freedive Clinic and still...just last year had a close call. I was in the LJ Kelp at about 60ft watching these WSB just out of range and started getting the urge to breathe...so I went up, but my progress was complicated by thick kelp.

I started seeing stars just a couple feet before the surface and white splotches. Broke the surface and barely held on to consciousness as my head swam. I know a couple seconds more and I would've been shark food.

Plus, I've got a son...so count me in for one.

And correct me if I'm wrong, it's mostly EXPERIENCED freedivers that dive from SWB...not novices.
muenchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #43
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

My partner SWB he had only been diving with us for a year maybe year and a half.

John Bettua
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #44
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

A good spearo I know has a pretty cool safty tecnique. When coming up from a deep dive he will take off his wieght belt and hold it in his hand then at the surface put it back on. I know it seems like alot of work but he does it everytime when making a deep dive that way if he blacks out he will involuntarily let go of the belt and surface. If it would really work i don't know, but if your deep and afraid but don't want to drop your belt because you think you will make its something you could try.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #45
BiggsBubleWachr

Well after getting this in my home e-mail
I guess there will be some changes on the New Spearboard....
Commercials/junk mail?? what do I call this?
BiggsBubleWachr is offline   Reply With Quote