Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #46
extremediver
speedy

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Most Important About Any Vest Is Other Divers Could Pull The Vest Open So Its Easy To Work The Diver Needing Help Rather The Putting Yourself In Danger Triying To Bring Diver Up And Loosing Belt. If Anyone Tried To Bring A Diver Out Of It On Surface Know How Hard It Is.

EXTREMEDIVER FREEDIVING SPEARFISHING CLUB MEMBER
extremediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #47
SoCal Fisher

Send a message via MSN to SoCal Fisher

Bill one of the reasons people say they don't see a SWB coming is 'cuz after you actually lose conciousness, you lose some of your short term memory. It's similar to getting a concussion. (Trust me, I was a pro skateboarder for years and have had more than my share of concussions.) I think that if you saw stars as you surfaced and had actually passed out, you would have forgotten you ever saw the symptoms.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #48
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Fisher
Bill one of the reasons people say they don't see a SWB coming is 'cuz after you actually lose conciousness, you lose some of your short term memory. It's similar to getting a concussion.
Thanks- good point, and it should have occurred to me. Back in 1984 I had a head-on with another bicylist and crushed my helmet as well as bending my top tube. I had a concussion, and after I woke up a few hours later, I had no memory at all of the moments before the collision. The doctors explained that at impact it was still in my short term memory, which dumped, and I would never remember it since it had not been stored in long term memory. I can see how the same would apply to SWB.

Of course I had memory problems after the accident too. The day after, we watched the olympic marathon on TV. I used to run marathons, so it was something of interest to me. About a week later I asked my wife what happened with the men's marathon, and she said "honey, you watched it with me." Oh.

Every since then, if I have trouble remembering something, I wonder if I still have residual damage and am a bit stupider than before. Some of you may wonder that too.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #49
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsBubleWachr
Well after getting this in my home e-mail
I guess there will be some changes on the New Spearboard....
Commercials/junk mail?? what do I call this?
I got that email too, and I didn't mind a bit. If I start getting emails trying to sell me some brand of speargun, then I'll bitch about it. But I consider it a favor if someone sends me email with information that may save my life, even if someone might happen to make a buck off the product.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #50
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Tmaas thanks for the info, I will definitely stay posted on this forum to gauge the development of the vest. I think its a great idea partly because I didn't realize how frequently SBW episodes occur. This reminds me of the safety vest Black Diamond put out a few years back to help save back country skiiers and climbers who are caught beneath the snow after an avalanche. Glad diving will have something similiar.
jackpine savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #51
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

this vest sounds like it will no doubt save lives, also sounds like it will be quite expensive if it has depth sensors.

Socal Fisher: who did u skate for? street? vert?

that tech of surfacing w/ the wieght belt in your hand sounds good i had never heard that before, the question is, will u use up extra energy taking it off and pulling it up in your hand rather than around your waist?
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #52
scwafish

This looks like an outstanding concept, hopefully the product is as good as it sounds. I will definitely have a look at one, and my wife will likely buy one for me to wear!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #53
stickman
Stickman Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaas
Now, after spending over $100,000 and procuring a patent to protect their investment, commercial development of the freediver’s safety vest is well underway...
Terry, Hats off to you for investing in something that can save lives. My buddy, David Biron tried to invent the apparatus that you are describing but found the financial investment to be overwhelming. Anything that will help in the safety and recovery of a diver in trouble is to be appaluded on my part. Even if a SWB occurs, I'd like for my familty to have a body in order to have a decent funeral. My question is when will it be on the market and for how much. I think David estimated something under $500.00.

Oh, I didn't notice but a black vest would be nice too.

Thanks to Tony Grogan for the email bringing this subject to my attention. I guess I really need to monitor this forum more frequently.
"Heart of Dixie"
Support RFA
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #54
yugyug
flag fish

some thoughts

+ what about accidental inflation or inflation in a dangerous location i.e a cave. Not being able to descend again even temporarily could be a problem. I suppose that not many divers are going to be still in a cave at the vests auto-inflate time, but if you were, can you quick release it or something?

+ is three metres enought depth to avoid an oncoming boat? If you surface and have to quickly dive again becuase of a boat, Mass' article states the vest will allow you to dive to 10 feet before triggering (as part of its surface blackout function). So what if its a big boat, or you misjudge your depth, you've misjudged the time to dive slightly because who are bit freaked out by the oncoming boat, and the vest triggers while you are underneath the propellers? I understand this would be a rare situation, but still....?

+ I suppose the internal parts (that inflate) are yellow to aid search &
resuce but I also think a camo exterior would be good.

Mostly I reckon the vest is an awesome idea and I look forward to seeing it in action.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #55
ErikY.

I think any solo freediver (for all intents any freedive spearo and some rec freedivers) of any age who has anyone that loves them should wear one. Years ago I would not have bothered, but as I get older I realise the pain others would go through if I died.
Priority gear in my mind.
Peace,
Erik Y.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #56
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY.
I think any solo freediver (for all intents any freedive spearo and some rec freedivers) of any age who has anyone that loves them should wear one. Years ago I would not have bothered, but as I get older I realise the pain others would go through if I died.
Priority gear in my mind.
Peace,
Erik Y.
That really nails it Eric. Its not me, but others that should make me spring for this thing if it becomes available. That was driven home to me when I saw what I, along with his family, had to endure when my friend died. It was really shitty trying to do CPR in a bouncing open boat while vile tasting foam came out of his mouth with every compression. It was really shitty trying to get up the courage to call his wife to let her know she was a single mother of 5 kids. It was really shitty having to stay in Mexico an extra couple of days to get him cremated and then bring him home in a box as carry-on luggage and deliver the box to his wife. It wasn't long before I went from feeling sorry for him to being mad at him for what he was putting us through. He had no more worries, and we had plenty.

I suspect that it will be hard for me to make myself buy one of these things and then wear it all the time, but what I should keep in mind is my responsibilities to others.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #57
ErikY.

Cheers Bill. Maybe I'm just getting older and facing mortality, but my main concern is others affected. While I've been fortunate enough to be involved in some rescues, I've never dealt with a death from diving, and hope I never have to as you and others have.
I suggest that everyone on Spearboard should be emailed about this when it's for sale.
Mr. Maas, please post over at Deeper Blue as well about this. There is a discussion started, but your presence would be appreciated, especially by the spearos.
Peace,
Erik Y.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #58
SoCal Fisher

Send a message via MSN to SoCal Fisher

SpearoPimp, when I was still competing, I was riding for Hurley, Black label boards, Adio shoes, Pro-tec helmets, and Arnette sunglasses. I retired the last time I got hurt. I got a severe concussion and destroyed my shoulder. I am married now and for my wifes sake I quit skating. Much to her dismay, I traded one dangerous sport for another .
Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #59
Bahiano

This seems well streamlined. BUT when I start hearing about computer chips, programing, etc I get scared.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #60
1shot

What a great concept. I look forward to seeing the production version and owning one.

Great to have you here Terry. Thanks for spreading the word.

RFA, FRA, it doesn't matter. Support your fishing rights organization today.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote