Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #31
ApneaSpearo
surfunc

Re: Spearfishing in Belize

Quote:
Originally Posted by float 'n stalk
I flew American and Hawaiin airlines last year and the oversize baggage fee applied to any bag that weighed over 50 lbs. I don't remember it being based on actual size.....
I got this info from the american airlines website:

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.

* Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...horEvent=false

They told me over the phone that I will have to pay $100 each way if the size of the baggage is larger than that. A guy just before me in line checked 2 oversized golf bags and didn't have to pay anything though, which makes me think that the rule is not always enforced.

Videos available at https://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaSpearo/videos
ApneaSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
ApneaSpearo
surfunc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEd
Do you remember which Atol you were going to dive? There are 3 out there, Lighthouse in the north, Teneff Islands is the middle one and Glovers Reef is the southern most.

Spent a full season down there on my boat: fishing, exploring, and spearing. I thought the south end of Glovers reef had the best spearing by far. Hope you get a chance to go back.
We were headed to Glover's reef, the north side is protected but the south is open to fishing. I'll definitely try to get back out there soon, especially since you've been to all the reefs and say that spot is the best.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #33
deepdown

Great report Kris. Somehow I didn't see it until just now. That nassau is a slob.
I'd like to head down there one of these days. Maybe after Mexico this fall.

G
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #34
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Thumbs up Re: Spearfishing in Belize

Great report and pictures, sounds like you and your wife had a fun time. Thanks for sharing!
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #35
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Great report.
To clarify the speargun bag issue. Not that I am a 100% right but this is what I have experianced.
I have have traveled from one end of the planet to the other with a speargun bag of 73-74" in length. A Riffe bag to be exact. I have had it over 50lbs and under 50lbs. There has been only one incident were I was charged extra, 25$ to be exact for overweight. Other than that you should not get charged an extra baggage fee. Some airlines will actually let you have your 2 bags plus you are allowed and extra sporting gear bag as well. Not many companies do this though. So if you are being charged tons of money for your gun bag, make sure you are talking with someone who knows what they are talking about. I am sure that a gun bag fits the alotted requirements for travel with no extra charge. The 62" measurement has got to be a crock(it probably is not but it seems like it). That would mean you could not take most bags without being charged.
Generally my bag weighs more then 50lbs but when you lay it across the scale it weighs less beleive it or not. The only way to get a true number is to stand the bag up vertically for them which I have never been asked to do.

Anyway once again awesome pics and great report.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #36
Stealthdiver
Big Bend

Send a message via Yahoo to Stealthdiver

Awesome pictures ! Looks like a trip anyone would love to do...Thanks for sharing !
Stealthdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #37
ApneaSpearo
surfunc

It took me forever to get around to it but I made a little video of the spearing on the trip. It's not terribly exciting but you can see the amazing visibility and some of the grouper I speared down there. You have to really look hard but you can see me on the surface when the camera is taping up from the bottom, that camera angle was completely accidental but turned out pretty cool.

I wish I would have gotten that big nassau on tape...

http://stage6.divx.com/user/ApneaSpe...ng---June-2007

You need to have the divx converter to watch it but the increased quality of the videos make it worth downloading if you don't already have it (it's free and there are instructions for downloading on the site)

Old 07-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #38
Hank49

Surfunc,

Ssssshhhhhhhh........ Just kidding. Glad you had a great trip here. I've been to the resort where you stayed and met the owners. Great people. The weather has been a bit choppy lately. I live just up the coast from Dangriga near Mullins river. I'd like to hook up with some experienced spearos because I'm alone all the time, which makes more than 30 foot dives a bit dangerous.
If I'm not mistaken though, Glovers Atholl is a marine reserve and there is no spearing of any kind allowed there.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #39
SeaWeed
Naturally Aspirated

Awesome!!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #40
PargoAmargo

Very nice the footage where you left the gun and the camera kept filming. I've never seen that before and I'd say it's a classic shot. It really puts you in the situation. I guess you edited out the breath up time
PargoAmargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #41
kill em all

Nice report and hunting. Im headed down to belize in 3 weeks and would appreiciate any contacts to go spearfishing as far as spots, areas, boats. The largest gun i use is a 100cm rabitech and im debating whether or not i should add a 130cm to my collection to bring on this trip. Do you think the 130 would help me in belize or would the 100 be fine?
kill em all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #42
WMELWAY7
MUST GO SPEARFISHING!!!

Awesome pics! Sounds like a great trip. I use a hard case ski bag to carry my spearguns and shafts when I travel on airlines. I can fit my two guns (55" + 63"), extra shafts, and the paddles to my inflatable kayak that I sometimes bring along. I have never had anyone say anything about the size. You do have to keep it under 50lbs, but other than that you really dont have to worry about the size. Walk up like you have done it a million times, and there wont be any questions.
WMELWAY7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #43
Dignan
Ryan Davis

I just saw this, great report!!! I went to turneffe last year for a fishing trip and we did a bit of scuba diving, we dove the "elbow" that was mentioned. Massive schools of black snapper, and saw the biggest black grouper ive ever seen. Id love to get back and spearfish one of these days.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #44
Big Country

I have flown on American several time to Belize with rod and reel. I have taken several rods over 7' in a hard rod tube an never been cahrge the additional baggage charges. I agree walk up like you have done this before and you don't get questioned. I did have to totally unpack the rod tube in Belize City when leaving. I guess they were looking for fruit or something.
Big Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #45
Quetzal
Allen Hendrick

nice
E-mail me at cahendrick@gmail.com
FRA!!!!!
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote