Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Snapperhead

Because you cant drown a snapper....head

Cool story
http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2832106/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	226403  
"I am a one-hundred-percent, made in Florida, dope-smugglin', spring-breakin', log-flumin', double-occupancy discount vacation. I'm a tall glass of orange juice and a day without sunshine. I'm the wind in your sails, the sun on your burn and the moon over Miami. I am the native."
-Serge Storms
Snapperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
SeaSage

Re: Because you cant drown a snapper....head

That was you?
Tell us more.
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Snapperhead

yeah, I was out of palmetto with some friends. broke protocol and didn't have a bubble watcher. was almost pretty costly.
"I am a one-hundred-percent, made in Florida, dope-smugglin', spring-breakin', log-flumin', double-occupancy discount vacation. I'm a tall glass of orange juice and a day without sunshine. I'm the wind in your sails, the sun on your burn and the moon over Miami. I am the native."
-Serge Storms
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
Snapperhead

i spent 5 hours alone and was recovered by a recreational vessel 14 miles from where i went in at
-Serge Storms
Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
SeaSage

Wow... Scary. good to hear your safe.
Thanks for the reminder to always have a bubble watcher.
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Holy shizit, Batman! 5 hours in the water by yourself?! (Any revelations you'd like to talk about?) You are SO lucky it was this time of the year. I'm in the same area and my biggest fear is something like this during winter. Were you donning a wetsuit?
A bud of mine and I was out during the winter time, fishing. I pulled up anchor and was making my way from the front of the boat to the back on a walk around w/ a soft top. A wave hit just right, I had nothing solid to grab a hold of. I found myself in the drink, in really cold water, as he was speeding away. I was doing the dog paddle while huffing/puffing. I had the sense of mind/ability to loudly whistle w/ my fingers in my mouth as he was speeding away. Luckily, he heard me.
We had to go in as I tried to warm myself in the cuddy cabin. It could've been SO much worse. RESPECT the danger. I'm glad you survived. Had it not been the right time of year, I'm certain you wouldn't be talking to us now. You narrowly escaped death. I'm sure we're all interested in what was going thru your mind. Five hours....wow. How in the hell did they find you?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 05-25-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
CuzzA

What do you mean you broke protocol? Wasn't there someone top side?
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Snapperhead

when I stated that I "broke protocol", I meant that on that day there wasn't one. Bad decision, thankfully I got to live through it. I was wearing a 3mm suit. A recreational boat almost ran me over. Only way I was saved.
-Serge Storms
Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Snapperhead

I prayed out there a lot. I asked god for forgiveness, extensively. Then I decided that I was no choir boy and in the grand scheme of things I decided I deserved to die that way.
-Serge Storms
Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
AndrewK

Saw the rb-m bringing you in when I was on duty at my cutter. Glad to hear a good outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
humpinit

Wow, I'm glad you made it. I day dream about things like this happening and try and play every scenario over and over in my head.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
Snapperhead

Andrew, thank you so much for your service. Even though the Guard didn't find me I knew that when the distress call came in you guys would send the cavalry. I was certain I was gonna get an awesome ride in a helicopter. When the copter flew almost over my head and established a search grid about 5 miles away, I literally knew I was dead. Got any trips planned?
-Serge Storms
Old 05-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
Snapperhead

I decided after 5 hours of breathing through my snorkel and having my tongue turn into a raison, that the shark was very preferable as compared to dehydrating and spending the next three days freezing and shitting in my wetsuit.
-Serge Storms
Old 06-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #14
Mobile Diver

Glad you are OK.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
Capt.Gene

Cinnamon was quite surprised to see someone floating in the middle of no where.