Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #3136
dkay

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Dove Sunday with Dkay out of Anclote. Ran about 25 miles NW. 2-3' rollers in am as predicted. First dive in 47 foot of water viz was about 20-25'. 69 degrees. Moved out to 57' and did most of our diving out there. Viz was about 35' vert and horiz. 70 degrees. Few fish here. Few fish there. Gags were skittish. One 6' shark came in. All in all great day. Seas laid down at noon.

Nice ride in. Many thanks to DKay and Alyssa for their kindness inviting my daughter Brook and me out to shoot. Dkay shot 2 nice gags and we ended up with 15 hogs and 4 nice mangos as well.
Glad to have you and your daughter out with us. We’ve got to train the next generation of spearos right! Fun day and as mentioned the water was very clear which made getting in range of the gags tough. Saw some of the biggest ARS of the season in 55’ and they weren’t shy. Got to try my new home built track gun and was very pleased with it. Big thanks to the guys at Neptonics for for sharing their expertise and advise!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #3137
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
You and your Delta airline GPS secret spots! LOL

LOL.

For what it’s worth guys if I’m anchored up you can always approach Ruckus with caution and at least get a good fish vis report. Always remember we are usually WAY offshore out of of VHF range if something goes wrong. Doing what Eric did I’ve helped a crew with a stuck anchor, another boat with dead batteries that was taking on water and another boat that ran out of fuel. Had I just steered 1/4 mile around I’m not sure what those guys would have done.

Thread creep, a good pic of Three (2) Rooker on my ride to work. That grouper hole west of Honeymoon also appears to have filled in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #3138
CuzzA

Nice shot. Three Rooker is unrecognizable today.

Good point, Rich. Last year we were dead on the water at the end of the day and by dumb luck Eric's UPS pilot buddy veered off course just enough to see me waiving at him. Towed Tim's boat in and saved us from what would have been a really long day.

Having been on Eric's boat enough times, I can say he's always been considerate of others on the intended spot and will always go elsewhere.

I wasn't there that day, but 50 yards is really close. Close enough one would surely hear the "What the ****, I got divers below" and you could easily make out a middle finger salute. So I'd assume no harm no foul, but glad to see everyone acting like gentlemen here.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #3139
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post

Good point, Rich. Last year we were dead on the water at the end of the day and by dumb luck Eric's UPS pilot buddy veered off course just enough to see me waiving at him. Towed Tim's boat in and saved us from what would have been a really long day.

LOL, I was the one who talked him into towing you guys. The UPS guy was PO’ed. Fuel starvation, no bonus points amongst pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #3140
Eibwen

Apparently today was the day to get out. Beautiful day and calm seas with an awful forecast thru Wed. I hope some of you guys are making it out
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #3141
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Apparently today was the day to get out. Beautiful day and calm seas with an awful forecast thru Wed. I hope some of you guys are making it out
I know - I was almost tempted to call all your asses this morning and say "Get to my house NOW!" - sigh. I think the moment we had jumped in the water we'd be cussing, teeth chattering, and getting back in the boat.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #3142
Eibwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I know - I was almost tempted to call all your asses this morning and say "Get to my house NOW!" - sigh. I think the moment we had jumped in the water we'd be cussing, teeth chattering, and getting back in the boat.
Pain is weakneas leaving the body. Not gonna get much better until spring is it?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #3143
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Pain is weakneas leaving the body. Not gonna get much better until spring is it?
Nope.

Of course, I could have just captained the boat and let you idiots do all the shooting
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #3144
Dbrown

Similar conversation going on via text with some of the guys I dive with. None of us went either. Some of us are questioning that decision.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #3145
water_man

Went out to about 60' 16 miles out of Desoto early Saturday 12/8/18. It was surprisingly rough early, high messy chop. Got in the water about 9am. 70 degrees top, 69 on the bottom. Decent vis, very fishy. Got some big snapper (big for me that is, 19/20"), hogs, and a red grouper. Came back after one dive as we were really limited on time and expected a slow ride back...luckily it died down a bit and we were on the dock before 11am.
water_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #3146
Basskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by water_man View Post
Went out to about 60' 16 miles out of Desoto early Saturday 12/8/18. It was surprisingly rough early, high messy chop. Got in the water about 9am. 70 degrees top, 69 on the bottom. Decent vis, very fishy. Got some big snapper (big for me that is, 19/20"), hogs, and a red grouper. Came back after one dive as we were really limited on time and expected a slow ride back...luckily it died down a bit and we were on the dock before 11am.
Thanks for the update, especially the water temps! Glad to see you were able to get out and get some groceries
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #3147
heybuddies

Went out of Fort DeSoto on 12/18. Water was calm and chilly at 62 degrees and my buddy and I had colds so we just dove Egmont Reef. Viz was literally about 4’. Likely my last day of spearing for a few months.
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #3148
Russell stalk

Christmas eve,,, 55' due west of Egmont... milk.. all the way in as well.... no more than 5-6 ' of viz. hook and line all day..
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #3149
jbsrq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell stalk View Post
Christmas eve,,, 55' due west of Egmont... milk.. all the way in as well.... no more than 5-6 ' of viz. hook and line all day..
Any action hook and line?
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #3150
Eibwen

We're going to give it a shot on Sun. I get why 5 inches of rain and consecutive days of 15-20ft seas last week would screw things up but it has to be improving. Headed out to buy some frozen bait just in case my optimism doesn't matchup with reality