Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

Site against free diving training

Anyone ever see this website? I am scheduled for my level one in May with Errol, and I came across this site that has me re thinking what the heck I am doing. They are saying that it is dangerous to even train to hold your breath, a guy died doing it in a pool. I've been so excited by this sport and now I'm really freaked out. Maybe it IS a bad idea to try to hold my breath for more than 90 seconds? Thoughts here, before get sucked into the fear

http://shallowwaterblackoutprevention.org/

Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Site against free diving training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runngo View Post
Anyone ever see this website? I am scheduled for my level one in May with Errol, and I came across this site that has me re thinking what the heck I am doing. They are saying that it is dangerous to even train to hold your breath, a guy died doing it in a pool. I've been so excited by this sport and now I'm really freaked out. Maybe it IS a bad idea to try to hold my breath for more than 90 seconds? Thoughts here, before get sucked into the fear

It is EXTREMELY dangerous to train in the pool! Many people have died in pools. even a world record holder not too long ago.

I think DAN recommends limiting breath holds to one minute maximum.

Errol's class will teach you the tools and techniques to do underwater apnea in a safe manner.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Brandiego
Team Fii

A quote from the site:

"WHY: Shallow Water Blackout occurs because of the LACK OF EDUCATION and understanding of the dangers of breath-holding. It also occurs because of the lack of safety training for swimmers, free divers, snorkelers, and spear fishermen. The breath-holders do not understand how to prevent Shallow Water Blackout or how to survive if it happens to them. Unfortunately, training does not inoculate one against SWB. All too often trained freedivers succumb."

Education and practicing proper safety is all the difference. People die because the choose to practice breath hold diving without proper safety. In Errols course you will learn what proper safety is and how to safely enjoy the sport of freediving. Take the course, you won't regret it.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
LoGiiCz

It's a pretty safe sport if you have the PROPER safety protocols (they will teach you these during the class) . I have had a buddy black out on me several times during pool training w/o me he probably would have drowned. The key is to never train/ dive alone...
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runngo View Post

Hello Runngo,

I saw this site a while ago and while it is true that, without proper training and safety supervision, breath-hold diving can be dangerous, I don't think the site properly represents the sport.

The site was created by a mother that lost her son. I am a parent so I can understand where she is coming from. Unfortunately, the freediving/breath-hold is not what killed her son. No one dies from the act of freediving... they die from the lack of safety, no matter what the situation.

A blackout is a very good thing from a physiological level. It protects the body from any kind of neurological and cardiovascular damage. Where it is deadly is when you don't have a safety buddy to assist you in keeping your airway free and clear for air exchange. That's where the classes come in... to educate you how to do so.

You are doing the right thing.... you're going to educate yourself and you're going to ensure that you have the proper safety protocol in place at all times. FII has taught 1000s of students worldwide and we've saved many lives. You'll see how effective it is and how much you will truly enjoy freediving!

Peace, Errol

P.S. If you'd like to chat, please don't hesitate to contact me! I'm sure you're going to have a great time in the class!!

Last edited by flamencoguru; 05-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

Thanks everyone for the support, I was really starting to doubt myself. I DID learn something right away, I shall NOT practice breath holding in my community pool anymore, as I have been doing. That stops immediately. I shall now wait for the class, and make my mind up from there.
Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
morey_b
10" Member

Take the course and you will not regret it! I did level 1 with Errol and just finished up the level 2 with him yesterday. I have seen the safety practices he taught me and a buddy save another of our friends from a blackout first hand.

Errol is a good dude. Take the class and become a safer and better diver!
morey_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
sacha58

Freediving can be dangerous, potentially lethal, as is crossing a road, or driving a car, or being born....... there are ways to minimize risks through knowledge and appropriate behaviour. A course is the first step towards it and , once you understand your own limits and practice safely with properly trained buddies , it is the beginning of a journey in a wonderful world . I started around 10 years old, 45 years ago, and still love it. BTW Errol is one of the best instructors around, I trusted him with training my son..........

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha58 View Post
Freediving can be dangerous, potentially lethal, as is crossing a road, or driving a car, or being born....... there are ways to minimize risks through knowledge and appropriate behaviour. A course is the first step towards it and , once you understand your own limits and practice safely with properly trained buddies , it is the beginning of a journey in a wonderful world . I started around 10 years old, 45 years ago, and still love it. BTW Errol is one of the best instructors around, I trusted him with training my son..........
Yeah, I have had the pleasure to dive w Errol before his instructor days as a dive buddy and I fully trust him to have my back any day. You are in very capable hands
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Polespearo
Waterman

Their argument sounds to me like: There has been so many deaths on cars that peopple shouldnt take courses how to drive!

Training or taking lessons its not what gets you. Doing it unsafely (i.e. Alone) does.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
anthropisces

If you live in the West Palm area, stay in touch. I am forever looking for guys whose principal focus is safety to dive with
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
AntiHero

I'm new here and defiantly don't want to step on it. This is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, no two ways around it. When I was a fireman, I was on ocean rescue and pulled quite a few apnea divers out of the water. I am an advocate of open water training. In a pool you experience nothing like the ocean at depth. I am not insulting anyone's methods of training or experience; merely providing my own observations. Floating on the surface of a heated pool in board shorts for max time, does nothing to prepare you for depth and exertion.

Respectfully,

Jay

Sir. Winston Churchill

AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
vomer6

Freediving is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it into my 50's now but safe?? No way can you argue that this is a particularly safe sport.
vomer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Keller Aquatics
Official Sponsor

Errol is an outstanding instructor, you will be in good hands, he will teach you safety protocols. Nothing is 100% safe, but risk can be mitigated by training.

KELLER AQUATICS
Big Game Pole Spears/ Custom Knives

BAHAMA PRO SPEARFISHING

DON'T SHOOT A WIMPY SPEAR!!
aquatics@kellerbizz.com

http://kelleraquatics.com

561-927-6400

Keller Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
xquizitdjx

I practice laps under water with my mask n fins 4 days a week in a 3 foot pool alone most times should I really be concerned with 25 - 45 second breath holds while doing laps? I never feel light headed or like Im going to blackout. I understand that anyone can drown in a few inches of water if they pass out but do I seriously need a partner to practice this way?