Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
JTFspearo

Maui to St. Augustine 5/22/12

Howzit, traveling your guy's way may 22nd thru the 29th. Memorial Day weekend. Staying in St. Augustine, was wondering if any body wouldn't mind taking along a freedive spearo to their grounds. Don't know yet if I'll even bring a suit or fins, probably not a speargun, I know nothing about east coast Florida diving, but seems most grounds are way offshore. I do know about Hawaii spearing and can return the favor if you ever make out this way to Maui. Even have access to pelagics out here either from boat or shore.

If nothing else, I'm gonna slay some gator tail and any kind of southern cooking. Aloha, John
JTFspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
BOHICA
SNAFU

Re: Maui to St. Augustine 5/22/12

Hey bro,
Your right about the distance off shore here in St. Augustine. 9 miles is just about the place that " good enough" visibility starts, and the depth around 65-70. Good viz starts around 15 miles out but that's in 75-80 feet. I'm sure it happens but I've not seen a free diver here...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
JTFspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
Hey bro,
Your right about the distance off shore here in St. Augustine. 9 miles is just about the place that " good enough" visibility starts, and the depth around 65-70. Good viz starts around 15 miles out but that's in 75-80 feet. I'm sure it happens but I've not seen a free diver here...
Viz is so good here where I live that you pretty much have to dive below 50 with a breathhold of 2 minutes to shoot something. The fish here all follow you around and stay just out of range, especially if you have scuba. The ones that do come close taste like crap.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Money $hot

We are diving 60'-100' pretty much every week off St. Aug. We would be more than happy to take ya along, get in touch when time is closer. Usually go during week, 3 or 4 stops, round trip 30-80 miles. Grouper season opens up on the 1st, looks like youll be leaving a few days before that.
Money $hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money $hot View Post
We are diving 60'-100' pretty much every week off St. Aug. We would be more than happy to take ya along, get in touch when time is closer. Usually go during week, 3 or 4 stops, round trip 30-80 miles. Grouper season opens up on the 1st, looks like youll be leaving a few days before that.
He'll be here end of May...grouper opens May 1.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
JTFspearo

Right on guys, thanks for the replies. Looking forward to at least diving the Atlantic for the first time ever. I'm available looks like on sunday or monday of my stay for sure. I'll bring my gear, but if things don't work out because of weather or swell, its all good.

I've only met a few Florida spearos and that was out here in Hawaii. Thanks again and like I said, if anyone is coming to Maui, be sure to hit me up. John
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
JTFspearo

Exclamation Re: Maui to St. Augustine 5/22/12

time is getting near. i'll be calling those who responded to see whats up.

just a few more questions??

Are there any spearfishing stores in st. Augustine or daytona beach?

Also, BIG QUESTION????? Does anyone have a hatch cover for a sot Wilderness Systems Tarpon double hatch series kayak. I have an old double hatch kayak I brought to Maui with me and lost a hatch cover in big surf. Anyone can help a braddah out I would be very appreciative. Going to a wedding while I'm there but will also be searching for Wilderness Systems accessories to replace old worn out stuff on mine.

Aloha, John
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
fljgilner

there are dive stores in st augustine
fljgilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
BOHICA
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFspearo View Post
time is getting near. i'll be calling those who responded to see whats up.

just a few more questions??

Are there any spearfishing stores in st. Augustine or daytona beach?

Also, BIG QUESTION????? Does anyone have a hatch cover for a sot Wilderness Systems Tarpon double hatch series kayak. I have an old double hatch kayak I brought to Maui with me and lost a hatch cover in big surf. Anyone can help a braddah out I would be very appreciative. Going to a wedding while I'm there but will also be searching for Wilderness Systems accessories to replace old worn out stuff on mine.

Aloha, John
I would recommend Sea Hunt Scuba on State road 16. The guys there are top shelf!