Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
deep_addictions

Venice area question

What's up west coast. I dive the gulf, normally scuba, never from a beach, and need some local knowledge! I'm staying in the Venice area in February, and trying to find out if I should bring my gear. Is there anything accessible from shore in the area? If there is what depth is it? Does the tide rip threw there? What suit should I bring? Really just looking for a run down. Any help would be sweeeet! Thanks guys
deep_addictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Re: Venice area question

Gonna have to head north to palos verdes or south a short drive to crystal cove to see anything worth while. 7mm scuba suit or 5mm open cell suit will be fine, I'm sure others will chime in with more detail shouldn't be spearboarding at work haha

Last edited by Jolinedaniel; 12-18-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
Gonna have to head north to palos verdes or south a short drive to crystal cove to see anything worth while. 7mm scuba suit or 5mm open cell suit will be fine, I'm sure others will chime in with more detail shouldn't be spearboarding at work haha
Venice is actually north of PV, so he'd go south to PV or north to Malibu
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

It may or may not be worth bringing your stuff depending on how much rain we get in the 2 weeks before you get here. Malibu is close-by.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
J_Franchise

Bring your gear. Nice reef/kelp diving out here, so you may as well be prepared to dive, even with the chance or rain messing up your plans.

Average depth is probably between 20ft-60ft. You could go deeper, but why bother. Shore diving Palos Verdes (45minutes South Venice) or Malibu (30-45 minutes North depending on the spot) is your best bet. Or catch a quick ferry ride to Catalina Island to dive. Google "catalina express". Their ferry is always full of tourists and divers so they know how to handle your tanks and stuff.

Probably want 5mm suit. Any gun in the 90cm range is probably fine as well.
J_Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
Venice is actually north of PV, so he'd go south to PV or north to Malibu
Haha ah shit I was thinking of huntington
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
growingupninja
Lance

Where in the gulf? I dive out of Destin when I visit my parents down there. I seem to be the only fool freediving offshore out there... It's really different out here because of the kelp forrest and the steepness of our coast. Shorediving and freediving are much easier and very practical...

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_addictions View Post
What's up west coast. I dive the gulf, normally scuba, never from a beach, and need some local knowledge! I'm staying in the Venice area in February, and trying to find out if I should bring my gear. Is there anything accessible from shore in the area? If there is what depth is it? Does the tide rip threw there? What suit should I bring? Really just looking for a run down. Any help would be sweeeet! Thanks guys
Deep,

Actually just outside the Venice Pier and a little to the south in 55-60' there is an artificial reef that this time of year can be loaded w/ bugs.

But that's about all there is in Venice proper, and as other guys have mentioned there are nice reefs to the north and south of Venice in Malibu and PV respectively.

Scotty