Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
pernicia

Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=17788629

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- One woman has died and another person has been hospitalized after a dive boat carrying 23 people was hit by a massive wave and capsized off Florida's Atlantic coast.
The Sun-Sentinel newspaper of Fort Lauderdale reports (http://sunsent.nl/UVnFfl ) that the boat capsized early Thursday afternoon just outside Hillsboro Inlet.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office confirmed the woman's death.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King said the boat's 21 divers and 2 crew members were heading back to the dock after a day of diving. She said rescue crews found the 45-foot-long catamaran "in pieces, upside down in the water." Lifeguards used wave runners to start rescuing passengers of the dive boat, identified as the Coral Princess and owned by South Florida Diving Headquarters. All aboard had been accounted for.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...#ixzz2Cznkk8kG

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
hammerhead786

Re: Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

Horrible news. I believe that was Captain Dennis. I had friends on that boat. The one on top of the capsized boat helping in the blue & black wetsuit in the photo on the sentinal is a good buddy of mine. Others left thanksgiving dinner to go try and go recover washed up equipment on the beach. What a terrible accident. Thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased and those involved.
hammerhead786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
SC00BAD1V3R

Re: Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

Unbelievable! Ive been on that boat and its definitely all of 45 foot! I can only imagine how this situation developed....
SC00BAD1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
hammerhead786

Coral Princess capsizes and kills diver - YouTube
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

I was kayaking in the intracoastal near the inlet today and saw them tow the Coral Princess back into Hillsboro Bay. Then I followed Seatow to see what they were going to do with the upsidedown 45' Corinthian Catamaran. I saw the captain and mate at the BSO dock but couldn't talk to them. A sad Thanksgiving day on the water.

Chad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220063w.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	181815   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220057w.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	181814   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220018w.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	181813   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220073w.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	181816   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220076w.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	181817  

Name:	PB220083w.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	181818  
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 11-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Unhappy Re: Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

OMG - May her soul rest in eternal peace.

What terrible news. Thanks Chad for your on-scene pics.

Here is a profile of the boat from its website here:

http://www.southfloridadiving.com/bo...-princess.html

Coral Princess Dive & Snorkel Boat

Length: 45 ft

Width: 14.4 ft

Cruise Speed: 20 Knots

Hull: Catamaran

Power: Twin 225 hp outboards

Capacity: 35 divers or 49 passengers

Safety Equipment: First Aide, O2 & A.E.D.

Description: The Coral Princess is the sister ship to the Aqua View, a custom built glassbottom catamaran that you can dive snorkel or watch from above. Being a twin hull design she is very stable and fast. The gas outboard engines eliminate nauseating diesel fumes. The Coral Princess has two tanks racks behind each seat and storage underneath. This vessel is also equipped with side ladders which are easy to use even in the roughest seas. There are five exits, which make it easier to enter the water. Other amenities include a glassbottom viewing window, two freshwater showers, freshwater rinse barrel, clean spacious bathroom and a stereo system. Beverages, fresh fruit and cookies are included on all trips.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coral1.jpg
Views:	1503
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	181819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coral2.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	181820  
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Yikes! Rest in peace. What a terrible occurrence
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
hammerhead786

What they are calling a rouge wave surfers know was a SET wave and they were coming in at intervals @ Hillsboro all day this day...
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
captron

Send a message via ICQ to captron

So Sad RIP.
captron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Telecaster71
BO AND LISA GLOVER

RIP...prayers go out to the families involved
Telecaster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Mind Games

This is tragic...and our thoughts are with all who were involved...and our thanks to all who helped rescue divers, crew, and gear.

I would like to learn something from this...what is a set wave?

I understand rogue waves are much more common than mathematics would predict...they can be created in any sea conditions that can create a deep trough...and on south Atlantic east coast they are often created by opposing and prevailing winds and current. Like conditions we are seeing now...waves driven by a northerly wind opposing a strong southerly current like the Gulf Stream...or in inlets with an outgoing tide hitting up against an incoming ground swell.

While my thoughts are with the divers, crew, and deceased diver and her family, I feel this is an important subject for all skippers and there is something important to be learned from this tragic incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead786 View Post
What they are calling a rouge wave surfers know was a SET wave and they were coming in at intervals @ Hillsboro all day this day...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Mobile Diver

Hillsboro is a nasty inlet. Tight & you have to make a sharp turn. Boat was likely sideways to the surf when the wave hit. But still, it would take a monster wave to capsize a catamaran that size. What a tragedy.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
jadairiii

A real shame, but that is a tricky inlet. Waves will stack up and I have watched boaters (professional and novice) line up wrong all the time entering that inlet. I have been in and out of that inlet for over 40 years in just about every kind of power boat, it is not very forgiving.

I doubt the "rogue wave" theory, it was an incoming tide but with a good NE swell running. IMHO, Capt just timed it wrong, not lined up right and (my guess) stuffed a hull.

jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
anthropisces

Waves which build up over long distances form "sets" consisting of several waves. The biggest wave in the set is called the "set wave". It is the last and biggest wave in the set. Even in Floridaa set wave can be massive. Paddling tothe base of a big set wave and looking up, the wave seems as tall as a house. If you want to see some video of big set waves at a local inlet go to youtube and enter "surfing pumphouse florida".
I take no chances in inlets. On any given trip crossing the mouth of the inlet produces the highest chance of loss of vessel. RIP.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

There are worse inlets in FL. but Hillsboro Inlet slants SE to NW, so swells out of the NE are perpendicular to it.

I was out diving Sat. & Sun. and the conditions were similar, but more chop and less swells, due to more N to NNE winds.

It was a strong incoming near high tide as I paddled out to the Hillsboro Inlet, even a few hours later it was just barely incoming, when I took this last photo of SFDH and the sistership of the Coral Princess. Note the height of the deck above the seawall. You can see the high tide on the sea walls in some of my other pics too. Wind has been consistent NW to NNW.

Hurricane Sandy caused a lot of beach errosion which has changed the surf conditions as of late. Surfers have been loving it.

Chad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB220014-HI1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	181824   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220011-HI2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	181825   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB220078-sfdh.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	181826  
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 11-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote