Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
Apneaddict

Re: Aftermarket roller head muzzle - Power Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
FEW MONTHS AGO I DID ASK to my personnal speargun "bible man" he told me this product is not good ..
and i trust him in all ...
Are you referring to the Power Head model??
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apneaddict View Post
Are you referring to the Power Head model??
i am obviously referring about the ones shown in yr link @ 199 aud

but i did not tried myself so in case you can test yrself and let us know ,

i did ask to some one who knows the product , who is an very experimented speargun builder and this is what he told me ..

For my own concern , i would always prefer to use a longer gun to get more power or to shorten or to doubble the rubbers .

there is a great amount of talkings (Bla bla bla) about roller guns in europe since few years and specially since the Beuchat "revolution" model is out .

some are addicts and act like being members from a sect trying to convince others to go for this technology :

their points are :
it is a new technology ! WRONG
there are no recoil : RIGHT
there is more power : YES and NO
it is very precise : YES and NO

i did test the gun myself and :

it is a pain in z ass to load this sh#T
it is not maneuverable
it is too long to reload
the spear must be a dedicate one with a slide ring ( the replacement spear is expensive and you ll not going to find it in case of need everywhere in the world such as every "normal"euro or US shaft specialy for the ones who travel in exotic destinations .
the original power did not surprise me such as if it was a "new must "to go for , a good doubble rubber band 120 is much better than a 105 roller .
the original setting request you to replace the rubbers for some other ones to get a better efficienty from the gun as most regular users explains after some times .
the gun is very costly .
the maintenance and replacement for rubbers and else dedicate parts request you a frequent amount of work ..(it is way not as easy than replacing rubbers on a Riffe gun )
shoting the gun w a reel is a good challenge not to get the shoting line tangle at the shot .
this is most of the case w roller guns !!

example:
Prove Alemanni Stilo 110.flv - YouTube
conclusion :
to my own opinion :
as today a roller gun does not worth the money invested in unless you wish to own a different gun from yr collegues .

and on the side from the big fishes land by Marc Antoine Berry in Africa
mostly jewfishes , please show me the nice fishes land by the rollers ?

The rollers are good for one fish in MED ..the DENTEX ..

this was just my own opinion i might be wrong but like some one to proove me the contrary !

Marco
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Apneaddict

Well, I certainly respect your opinion and that of your gun-builder friend.

I can see there being complexity with reloading and potential for entanglement.

I'm not really looking to be a pioneer... So tried and true might be better suited to my needs.

I'm back leaning towards a mako 120cm ETR with 2x16mm rubbers and 7.5mm shaft.
It will be primarily used for good vis ocean spearing (Keys, Cuba, etc.) in open water but I should still be able to use them on the weakest sharkfin if near the bottom or 1 rubber for a holed-up grouper, etc.

I'll also de-power it for any lake / freshwater Canadian spearing.

Now I'm deciding if I should go with a 160cm or 170cm spear. I'll me putting rubbers on between the Mako "short" and "medium" lengths for added power (which the ETR can handle).

If I later want a gun with more power / range, I can either try the roller muzzle or up to a 140cm barrel with 8mm shaft.
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
Coatesman

All shot with a 1200 Roller Powerhead conversion 18mm bands and 7mm spear. Biggest fish 26kg .. with 5 fish over 20kg! ... I think it works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_3694.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	190827  

My Blog - Coatesman's Spearfishing

"A hint of blue a touch of green, fish are silver I am keen"
Coatesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
spearq8

There are some good points to be made against roller guns, but really I think people have to just accept that different dynamics are at work. Both Beuchat and Omer have decided that for things to work well, a roller gun must have a slide ring as that keeps the line away from the deploying bands which is a RPIA and a problem I encountered with all roller guns I tried. Maybe with shorter guns it is not a problem, but for the longer powerful guns it sure is. Another thing is with power ... there is no question that incredible power is possible with roller guns ... but it seems that power without a shaft of the correct weight can simply cause the power to dissipate. With higher velocities thin shafts will oscillate more and lose their energy quick. So an ET seems like a great idea, and with heavier shafts the resultant energy downrange is not dissipated so quickly. Omer obviously did a lot of testing before they settled on a 14mm band for their 6.75mm shaft! I would guess that they tried thicker more powerful bands and found it counter productive. I think the last chapter has yet to be written with regards to a final roller design and most likely it will end up using an 8 or 8.5mm slide ring shaft (or maybe even thicker) with a long 16 or 18mm band.

Take a look at the new Omer "dart" shaft which incorporates a slide ring. It actually might not be necessary to use a slide ring if the line guide up front is removed and a Neodium magnet used instead, especially with ET. I already do that on all my guns because I find that completely eliminates line tangles (very common on ALL rubber guns at the last few feet of range with 2 or more raps) and allows the use of spectra or kevlar line with no problems.

http://www.subprof.com/tienda/produc...ER+7X160+DART+
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #21
dxb.night

Hi Coatesman,

That looks like qatar... I have a question on the gun you used... was it by any chance an omer t20 110?

It does look tough to use...

Any more info will be appreciated.

regards,

Ali
dxb.night is offline   Reply With Quote