Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #31
Quetzal
Allen Hendrick

Re: Spearfishing colombia

Very nice report the place looks beautiful. Prices for trips out of Atlanta are really cheap on Spirit Airlines.
E-mail me at cahendrick@gmail.com
FRA!!!!!
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #32
evoluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluto View Post
I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there whose done Spearfishing in Colombia and wants to share about their experience.

I had a chance to go out to the pacific coast in El Valle, Choco where we met Absalom whose is a native of the area and one of the best free divers there, He knows the area very well and can take you to all the good spots. He took us to his island Playa Blanca where he let us stay free of charge for a week.

We rented a Panga with a 40 Yamaha at El Valle which costs us around $50 per day including the captain and one more person plus about $200 worth of gas and that was good for a week stay at Playa Blanca. you can also find a bigger boat with a couple of 200's if that's more of your thing.

There is a rustic wood cabin there for shelter but no electricity. We slept in mosquito nets with a small yoga type of mat, the water from the streams is drinkable and there are also caves that have filtered drops of water which you can collect in bottles and drink.

The sea there holds tons of big fish specially if you go around Easter when the bait fish come in. you can see whales, dolphins and other kinds of big fish from the shore.

We were doing some trolling and Spearfishing just near the shore and caught some Cubera Snappers, Jurel, Sierras, small tunas, Cudas, Parrots as well as oysters, snails, fresh water shrimp and other good stuff. you can also catch stuff like Wahoos, Meros, Tunas, Dorados and lots of other big fish.

The landscapes are amazing there as there are thick jungles that meet the ocean creating amazing views.

All together the place is a Spearfishing, free diving paradise and the people there are really friendly and make you feel at home.

Probably similar to Panama as they are so close to each other but maybe better since there are less tourist and less fishermen resulting in more fish and a more private getaway.

prices for accommodation at the priciest hotels in El Valle are around $30 dollars a night per person with at least 2 meals included.

You can get there via plane from Medellin or any other major city in Colombia. The planes land in Bahia Solano but from there you can take a car to El Valle and then from there is only about a 2 hour boat ride to Utria (spearguns are not allowed at the Utria national park) or other nice spots for spear fishing like Playa el tigre, playa blanca etc...

The area is safe ( I was there with an Estonian friend and a Bostonian friend and they felt safer than being at home) and like I said people are really friendly there.

If you ever go ask for Absalom and tell him Luis sent you. He'll make sure you get to experience what I'm talking about.
In case some of you are in fact going down there contact Hotel Playa Alegre to let them know you are going so they can arrange pick up for you at the airport.

They have the best accommodations, the place is really clean and you might be able to get a cabin in the middle of the jungle which they have. check it out online...

The owner's name is Elicardo and his number is +57 313-667-4936. Let him know that you are going to meet Absalom to go Spearfishing and they will take really good care of you.

I hope you guys enjoy the place dive safe and post some pics.
evoluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #33
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitespearo View Post
Evoluto Thanks for posting.
Feels good to see good things come ot of Colombia.
Let me know if yo are ever arond in the Jupiter area.
I am from Cartagena by the way.
I'm from Cartagena too.

I'd like to contribute to the post also. I got friends that go Spearfishing in the Northern part of Colombia, La Guajira (Atlantic Ocean) and it's along the same lines. They hire a local with a panga to take them out, stay at The fishing is excellent, big Snapper, monster Hog Fish, big Groupers. They do Scuba and freedive, they bring a compressor with them. The weather is kind of rough up there, but the fishing is worth the adventure. I'm gonna try to snag a couple of pictures from my friend's FB.

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
evoluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitespearo View Post
Evoluto Thanks for posting.
Feels good to see good things come ot of Colombia.
Let me know if yo are ever arond in the Jupiter area.
I am from Cartagena by the way.
I wanted to let everyone know that a Canadian Based company is coming over to the Bahia Solano Choco and will be cutting down 45k+ Hectares of our forests.

This shreds us to pieces.

Us Colombians haven't touched these forests and for some foreign company to come in and make a desert out of our land makes me furious.

They went and Bamboozled the natives, nickle and dime them onto signing a 25 year lease to Cut down "harvested" (these forest are not harvested !!!! they are thousands of years old and untouched by anyone, plus each tree is a home for many different other animals...) forests.

I wanted to let everyone I possible can know about this... Hopefully we'll be able to stop this from happening.

Here is an article about it.
http://www.allaboutcolombia.com/thre...es-of-Colombia...

And here is a Facebook group with over 4500 people protesting about it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RECHAZ...12968378716941
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	206304_10150161673074720_519819719_6424399_6916016_n.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	150308   Click image for larger version

Name:	215905_1948889637220_1091958138_32338067_4649774_n.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	150309   Click image for larger version

Name:	207542_10150161672624720_519819719_6424395_2933939_n.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	150310  
evoluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #35
Marco

It's a shame...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #36
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernicia View Post
I'm from Cartagena too.

I'd like to contribute to the post also. I got friends that go Spearfishing in the Northern part of Colombia, La Guajira (Atlantic Ocean) and it's along the same lines. They hire a local with a panga to take them out, stay at The fishing is excellent, big Snapper, monster Hog Fish, big Groupers. They do Scuba and freedive, they bring a compressor with them. The weather is kind of rough up there, but the fishing is worth the adventure. I'm gonna try to snag a couple of pictures from my friend's FB.
I flew into Cartagena in 2001 on a small chartered flight from Belize. We were looking for broodstock shrimp to enhance our stocks here. Anyway, we went through Colombian customs on a small island offshore there. I don't remember the name but it looked like it had a lot of potential for spearing.
And how could you leave Cartagena? I have never seen so many beautiful women in one place in my life. And I've been to a lot of countries.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
Marco

Hank: You must go to Medellin or Cali (also Colombia)...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #38
frankbell007
Frank007

I was down on the Pacific Coast of Colombia (Bahia Solano) for a few weeks in Novembr and fell in love with the place. The prices are increduibly cheap and the fishing was Awesome! The flights down are cheap on spirit.

IM planning another trip in April and looking for a few spearos to join me . I want to test the bluewater action on the "weedline" for pelagics. And also a trip up to Cabo Marzo.

Ht me up if anyone is interested in joining!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10659112_10205092849980237_8672817724415601375_o.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	214612   Click image for larger version

Name:	10291096_10205092818459449_371681007459556988_n.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	214613   Click image for larger version

Name:	1509642_10205092860180492_3520215780059290216_n.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	214614  
frankbell007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #39
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell007 View Post
I was down on the Pacific Coast of Colombia (Bahia Solano) for a few weeks in Novembr and fell in love with the place. The prices are increduibly cheap and the fishing was Awesome! The flights down are cheap on spirit.

IM planning another trip in April and looking for a few spearos to join me . I want to test the bluewater action on the "weedline" for pelagics. And also a trip up to Cabo Marzo.

Ht me up if anyone is interested in joining!!
Hey Frank, Good to see know that you had a great experience in The Pacific. I am from Colombia but live in the States. In 2009 I took a trip to the pacific, landing in Nuqui and traveling by boat to Utria natural Reserve. Now that I have gotten into spearfishing, I would love to spear in my home country and see what it has to offer in terms of fish. Unfortunately I cant do april since I am in university, but if you were to consider in going any time during the summer (june-august), let me know. I will be up for it.
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #40
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

I may be as well if I can convince my wife to stay here in Ecuador to watch the dogs.

Mike
Old 04-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #41
Otolithco

I just wanted to give an update on El Valle after spearing there the last 2 weeks. Specifically, Absalom. As I understand it, Absalom is the only freediver/spearfisherman in the town. Unfortunately, he has a serious drug problem and I believe he may be losing his mind (I have spoken with several of his friends in town and they seem to be aware he is having problems). Long story short, he ended up taking my money and 2 days of my time and we didn't go diving. In my opinion, he should not be trusted.
There are plenty of other captains that should be able to take you to some good spots.

As I am on a tight budget anyways, I spent the two weeks shore diving which proved very successful. This area has a lot of nice fish that can be accessed from shore.
Otolithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #42
Trautfel

Im based in Bogota, if there is anyone planning a spearfishing trip to Colombia's pacific coast and looking for a dive partner with some local savvy I would be interested in joining. I speak spanish and can help with the planning.
Trautfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #43
HuntFishSD
23.8 lbs on a three prong

Hi Evoluto,

Thank you for your very informative (if not ancient) post!

I plan on visiting Colombia soon and I have a question about water temperature.

It appears that the surface temp of the ocean is consistently around 82F (80 in Feb, 84 in June).

Can you comment on the water temperature at depth? It doesn't seem like you have any wetsuits in your pictures. It would be nice not to have to pack the suit!

Thanks!

Elliott
HuntFishSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #44
HuntFishSD

Yes please!

I am starting to plan now. Are you still available?

Elliott
Old 09-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #45
HuntFishSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trautfel View Post
Im based in Bogota, if there is anyone planning a spearfishing trip to Colombia's pacific coast and looking for a dive partner with some local savvy I would be interested in joining. I speak spanish and can help with the planning.
I should have quoted this in my last post.

I am interested if you are still available.

Elliott