Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 03-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Sureshotshane

Big Island General Questions

On short notice I’ll be in Hawaii next week with my wife, visiting my sister in law. However, I’m basically going to be diving the entire time (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). We will be staying in Hilo but I will have a vehicle and be mobile. I expect it to be long days, waking up every morning and driving to the west/southwest side of the island.

I bought a book on Hawaiian fishes, and have been referring to the Hawaii fish regulations; just trying to learn the species and regulations but had some questions:

Since I’ll be on the Big Island - the Uhu size limit is 12 inches and no bag limit correct?

It seems like Maui has a lot of special regulations. For the the fish that say a size limit but in parentheses “Maui only” does that mean there is no size limit for the Big Island? For example, Monoa kea has size limit 12 inches (Maui only) so on the Big Island there is no size limit?

For all other fish not on the regulations does that mean there is no size or bag limit?

For lobster, can you have a speargun in possession when taking lobster (obviously can’t use the spear for the lobster)? Also, do you need to have a measuring device when taking lobster or crab (that’s the law in CA). What do you use to measure?

How is the lobster diving? I’m probably more interested in Ula than fish but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of talk about them. I’m bringing my dive light and will give it my best.

This trip was short notice, I’ve never gone a guided fishing or hunting trip before but with all the good reviews of the charters in Kona I decided to give them a call to at least go out one day. They are all booked up but I’m on the waitlist if anyone cancels.

I don’t have a thin wetsuit because I primarily dive cold Northern CA waters. Again, short notice, I don’t have time to get a proper wetsuit. I like to dive for a long time, not sure if I should worry about getting cold but I will be bringing the bottom half of my wetsuit (as well as booties, gloves, all the other essentials) and weights, if that ends up being to warm I may just ditch the wetsuit altogether and go in shorts.

Anyone want to go diving? I just want to get out there, with the hope of obtaining some interesting fish for dinner. If you see some dude in a 5 mm camo Cressi bottoms with a red float line, and a clueless look on his face, you know you’ve found me.
Sureshotshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
musubi

Re: Big Island General Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotshane View Post
On short notice I’ll be in Hawaii next week with my wife, visiting my sister in law. However, I’m basically going to be diving the entire time (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). We will be staying in Hilo but I will have a vehicle and be mobile. I expect it to be long days, waking up every morning and driving to the west/southwest side of the island.

I bought a book on Hawaiian fishes, and have been referring to the Hawaii fish regulations; just trying to learn the species and regulations but had some questions:

Since I’ll be on the Big Island - the Uhu size limit is 12 inches and no bag limit correct?

It seems like Maui has a lot of special regulations. For the the fish that say a size limit but in parentheses “Maui only” does that mean there is no size limit for the Big Island? For example, Monoa kea has size limit 12 inches (Maui only) so on the Big Island there is no size limit?

For all other fish not on the regulations does that mean there is no size or bag limit?

For lobster, can you have a speargun in possession when taking lobster (obviously can’t use the spear for the lobster)? Also, do you need to have a measuring device when taking lobster or crab (that’s the law in CA). What do you use to measure?

How is the lobster diving? I’m probably more interested in Ula than fish but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of talk about them. I’m bringing my dive light and will give it my best.

This trip was short notice, I’ve never gone a guided fishing or hunting trip before but with all the good reviews of the charters in Kona I decided to give them a call to at least go out one day. They are all booked up but I’m on the waitlist if anyone cancels.

I don’t have a thin wetsuit because I primarily dive cold Northern CA waters. Again, short notice, I don’t have time to get a proper wetsuit. I like to dive for a long time, not sure if I should worry about getting cold but I will be bringing the bottom half of my wetsuit (as well as booties, gloves, all the other essentials) and weights, if that ends up being to warm I may just ditch the wetsuit altogether and go in shorts.

Anyone want to go diving? I just want to get out there, with the hope of obtaining some interesting fish for dinner. If you see some dude in a 5 mm camo Cressi bottoms with a red float line, and a clueless look on his face, you know you’ve found me.
I've gone through the same regs and it does seems like Maui has more restrictions. Not sure why. While I understand the other islands not to have the same restrictions, I usually follow those size requirements and more. For example, a 12 inch Moano Kea (we call them Moana Kali, or just Kali for short) is on the small side and I'll usually pass them up so they grow bigger. Same for the other fish. Personal choice and preference.
You can have a gun with you while you lobster dive.
5 mil will be quite warm in our waters, but if you're able to get in on the Hilo side, the water's a little colder than West side so you may be more comfortable. Good luck out there!
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
Sureshotshane

Thanks musubi,

I’m just bringing the bottoms to my 5 mil suit. My buddy who is used to the same cold waters I am in is in Maui right now, he said don’t bring a suit and the water would be plenty warm for me. I’d personally rather be cold than to hot, I think.

Thanks for the clarification. I see a lot of the size limits seem kind of small but I also don’t know the waters and the management strategy. It’s like rockfish here in CA, there is no size limit on rockfish but nobody I know spears 12 inch rockfish. I wouldn’t think less of someone if they did though, the meat to bone ratio just seems to go up with the bigger fish.

It looks like there is an opening with one of the charters so I think I’m going to be going out on a blue water trip on Friday. Any advice for that, I’ve never been on a guided anything before.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
musubi

Quote:
Thanks musubi,

I’m just bringing the bottoms to my 5 mil suit. My buddy who is used to the same cold waters I am in is in Maui right now, he said don’t bring a suit and the water would be plenty warm for me. I’d personally rather be cold than to hot, I think.

Thanks for the clarification. I see a lot of the size limits seem kind of small but I also don’t know the waters and the management strategy. It’s like rockfish here in CA, there is no size limit on rockfish but nobody I know spears 12 inch rockfish. I wouldn’t think less of someone if they did though, the meat to bone ratio just seems to go up with the bigger fish.

It looks like there is an opening with one of the charters so I think I’m going to be going out on a blue water trip on Friday. Any advice for that, I’ve never been on a guided anything before.
I'm not too familiar with the charters for spearfishing, but actually wouldn't mind hearing how it goes for you. I haven't been on anything guided either, so I'm no help. They'll probably take you out to a buoy or FAD and chum or flash around there. The waters should be fairly good this week Kona side. Hopefully you get on some fish out there.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Sureshotshane

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I'm not too familiar with the charters for spearfishing, but actually wouldn't mind hearing how it goes for you. I haven't been on anything guided either, so I'm no help. They'll probably take you out to a buoy or FAD and chum or flash around there. The waters should be fairly good this week Kona side. Hopefully you get on some fish out there.
Do you live on the island?

What makes you think it will be good?

Ive been monitoring the marine forecast, it seems like it will be pretty windy, but I don’t know what normal is so I really couldn’t say. What other variables do you look at?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
musubi

Quote:
Do you live on the island?

What makes you think it will be good?

Ive been monitoring the marine forecast, it seems like it will be pretty windy, but I don’t know what normal is so I really couldn’t say. What other variables do you look at?
If you folks are launching out of Honokohau Harbor, the winds and swell for the week look good out there. Low wind and low swell. At least to 40 miles out of Kona.

Yup, I'm on island, Hilo side. Lately I've been using Windy.com to get the general idea of the forecast and supplement it with NOAA info. The rest of the island is not looking the greatest, but that's typical for this time of year.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:31 AM   #7
Behslayer

You'll be loving the Clear Warm Water.

Blue Water Charter with Rob White? All depends on the day. Some friends were out a few days ago and came upon a floating net. Heaps of Wahoo and Mahi. He said "I could have speared more, but didn't want to have to clean any more fish" and these were all nice fish.. Rob knows the area better than anyone for Bluewater Spearing, just depends on the day.

I don't think I can go. Kids school has been canceled.. honestly it's a very strange time every where including here.

Today I was hot in a 3.5mm 2pc. Vis wasn't sooooo great, over 100' but a little fuzzy. 2nd dive this week and 2nd time I had a 100# Yellowfin come through while I was in the shallows.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
Sureshotshane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
You'll be loving the Clear Warm Water.

Blue Water Charter with Rob White? All depends on the day. Some friends were out a few days ago and came upon a floating net. Heaps of Wahoo and Mahi. He said "I could have speared more, but didn't want to have to clean any more fish" and these were all nice fish.. Rob knows the area better than anyone for Bluewater Spearing, just depends on the day.

I don't think I can go. Kids school has been canceled.. honestly it's a very strange time every where including here.

Today I was hot in a 3.5mm 2pc. Vis wasn't sooooo great, over 100' but a little fuzzy. 2nd dive this week and 2nd time I had a 100# Yellowfin come through while I was in the shallows.
Thanks for the report! I'm definitely getting stoked to get in the water. The charter I've been in contact with is Calvin Lai Jr. I haven't booked it yet because I was unsure if flights would get canceled but once we land in going to call him up.

I only brought reef guns, because I figured if I did get out on blue water it would be with a guide, I hope I don't regret it. Maybe I can find somewhere I can rent a speargun from?
Old 03-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
Behslayer

Calvin is a very good diver and knows the Reef better than anyone. I think he was the Captain of the US Spearfishing Team for a while. He's in incredible shape. He's an Airport Firefighter, but his dad owns the local Spearfishing store (Pops Spearfishing). I'm 100% sure Calvin would have access to Gear.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote