Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Donation Request-VIDA

Hey Tribe,
My daughter is stepping out of her comfort zone, at my encouragement, to request funding for a program she's passionate about. As parents, we've tried to instill the principles of community and outreach when practical, with volunteering and philanthropy high on the priorities. Participation in this program was all her idea, we just facilitate and morally support ... that's what Dad's do

**Any donations, please include your name and/or address so thank-you's and updates can be sent.

Hello Spearos,

My name is Sierra Dong, my father, Michael Dong is a fellow Spearo. I asked Father to post a request for assistance in anticipation of gaining some financial support for a medical aid program.

First, let me tell you a little about myself. I’m a junior at Sonoma State University, majoring in Pre-Med Biology with an emphasis in Physiology. On campus, I participate in a club called Volunteers for Inter-American Development Assistance (VIDA). The VIDA mission is to provide assistance to health institutions and development projects in Latin America that support people in need regardless of race, religion, or politics. VIDA's primary goal is to serve rural communities with little to no access to healthcare who are in great need of attention and medications. We, as an organization, offer public health screenings and education, free medical attention, free medications to patients, and most importantly, we offer compassion, care, comfort and help to those who are less fortunate and who need it the most.

For more information on VIDA the website is: vidavolunteertravel.org

This year the club is preparing a trip to Costa Rica & Nicaragua between (July 17th - July 29th) to help equip the local clinics with antibiotics and much needed medical supplies.

My goal is to partake in this trip as it will not only allow me to contribute to the local community, but also give me an extensive amount of experience for medical school, and provide ample opportunity to network with many medical professionals who share the same diligence in making an impact on those in need.

I am graciously requesting donations to offset the overall cost to finance my portion of this trip. The total cost to participate in this worthwhile endeavor is:
Medical Dental & Veterinary Teams | Trip Cost: $3,000

Any help would be greatly appreciated and bring me one step closer to fulfilling my goals.

I will keep you all updated on my trip!

Thank you so much.

Sierra Young-Dong
Paypal can be sent to: denalipro3@hotmail.com earmarked “VIDA”

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Joshua R.

Re: Donation Request-VIDA

That's awesome Michael. Sierra is a great kid and I love that you're "encouraging" her to volunteer. Her adventurous spirit and above average intilect is definately a benefit to the universe my friend. I'll send some bread in May when I get back from Panama.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
lobzila

Is this the Italian/Ethiopia scam job I have been reading about.

I will gladly send money to the Oil princess in the Medical Supplies for Italian gelato Venice tour guide program.
Hope you guys are well.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Thanks guys, the contributions are much appreciated!

It's a way to teach Sierra that sometimes you need the help of others, and cooperation often manifests to a successful result. Sometimes it doesn't, but you still try.
She still sees me trying to coordinate a program through the government for APM detection/removal in Bosnia...a long, but worthwhile endeavor. You just don't stop trying.

The Grappa and Gelato are waiting for anyone who visits! Ciao, ciao!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
gettin'wet
Glaucus guides my spear

Hey Michael! These are really important lessons. You're raising a good one buddy! I sent over a little help... wish her good fortune and buon viaggio!

gettin'wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
norcalsurfer

As a student who's about to graduate as an RN in 8 weeks, I wholeheartedly support this cause. Wish I could go myself. When I find a job I'll gladly donate toward her trip.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsurfer View Post
As a student who's about to graduate as an RN in 8 weeks, I wholeheartedly support this cause. Wish I could go myself. When I find a job I'll gladly donate toward her trip.
Keep in contact, as The Dong Family funds several scholarships for HS to Univ transition, and I'm working on a "project based" fund for the near future..ie, if you want to continue in hyperbaric, interventional, aviation med...that all entails more studies (expenses). I've met many people who were excellent for these types of positions, but are too busy currently working to go back to academia, even just part-time, and our family finds that a loss to all.

Good Luck and Congrats!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

Money Sent!!!
The Bernazzani Family wishes Sierra our best.
Hope all is well Michael.
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
norcalsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post
Keep in contact, as The Dong Family funds several scholarships for HS to Univ transition, and I'm working on a "project based" fund for the near future..ie, if you want to continue in hyperbaric, interventional, aviation med...that all entails more studies (expenses). I've met many people who were excellent for these types of positions, but are too busy currently working to go back to academia, even just part-time, and our family finds that a loss to all.

Good Luck and Congrats!

Thank you! I will surely keep this in mind.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #10
lobzila

[quote='o Cino;1937997
The Grappa and Gelato are waiting for anyone who visits! Ciao, ciao![/QUOTE]

I forgot about the Grappa! Money sent and once again, Thanks for being such a gracious host when the Wife and I were in Italy. Caio Pisan!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Joshua R.

Done.

Have a great trip Sierra.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

I just dropped off Sierra at the airport to fly back to school, and she asked about if I had sent the "thank you" she wrote to the tribe who donated and thought well wishes for her during the VIDA mission. Sierra didn't have addresses, or reliable contacts...neither do I, other than a few.

It's all my fault! I completely forgot with many events keeping me side-tracked from this duty. My apologies, and it wasn't on purpose, or that I was ducking you guys. Anyhoo, here's Sierra's write-up...

Thank you all so much for the donations and support I received from the spearo community.

Thanks to you, I was able to take advantage of the wonderful opportunity to help remote, impoverished communities in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. In total, the VIDA group rendered over 500 medical appointments and walk-ins!

During the trip I provided medical care on the outskirts of Libya (Costa Rica), Masaya, and Grenada. The care was very diverse and heavily weighted with infectious diseases. Two of the most interesting cases were; an incidence of Dengue Fever in combination with Pharyngitis presented by a small 6 year old boy, and a case of inflamed psoriasis covering approximately 90% of a young 10 year old patients body. Extended treatment is near impossible in these areas, and the care we provided is literally the only medical attention the people will receive until the next mission. Poverty is rampant, and medicines are quickly used up as they are provided free of charge. During the year, we are one of several medical groups that travel to these areas, and I hope the more serious conditioned patients get the long-term care needed.

This medical support experience not only allowed me to hone and develop my medical skills and knowledge base, but also provided me the opportunity to fully embrace a culture through immersion by staying with local families to better understand their daily struggles. I now possess a fresh appreciation for drinkable, running water and A/C. I have gained so much personal and professional insight, direct experience, and friendships from this trip. The memories will last a lifetime, as will the new skills that go in the knowledge "kit". This all happened with your help and support.

Respectfully,

Sierra Dong

* on Sierra's return, I gave her my Combat Medic badge and the corresponding unit patch. She was in the thick of it, down and dirty...while I thought it was a "tour mission". The coolest thing she asked of me after the trip was "Dad, what's a good knife to carry for this type of work? I need a better one." That's My Gal!

Last edited by 'o Cino; 01-21-2015 at 08:55 AM.