Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Permit Public Workshops are coming soon to a location near you!

FWC Upcoming Public Workshops

Permit Rule Changes

The purpose of these workshops is to examine possible options for rule changes for the permit fishery (Chapter 68B-35, F.A.C.). Specifically, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will be gathering comments on establishing a commercial trip limit, extending state regulations into federal waters, establishing a tagging program, eliminating commercial harvest and sale, and making permit a catch and release only fishery.

Dates, Times, and Locations

Vero Beach
September 28, 2009 6:00 - 8:00pm
Vero Beach City Hall Council Chambers
1053 20th Place
Vero Beach, Florida 32960

Saint Petersburg
October 5, 2009 6:00 - 8:00pm
FWC Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
3rd Floor Conference Room
100 Eighth Avenue S.E.
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701

Dania Beach
September 29, 2009 6:00 - 8:00pm
IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum
300 Gulf Stream Way
Dania Beach, Florida 33004

Key Colony Beach
September 30, 2009 6:00 - 8:00pm
City of Key Colony Beach-City Hall Building
City Hall Auditorium
Mile Marker 53.5
600 W. Ocean Drive
Key Colony Beach, Florida 33051

Fort Myers
October 6, 2009 6:00 - 8:00pm
Joseph P. D’Alessandro Office Complex
2295 Victoria Ave.
Ft. Myers, Florida 33901

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
diverlen

Re: Permit Public Workshops are coming soon to a location near you!

African Pompano should also be included with any changes for Permit.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Bait Me

I thought permit where good to eat. Why would they need to be limited to catch and release. Would recreational fishermen still be aloud to keep one for the dinner table?
Bait Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
WHY??????????????????? Their is not evidence that spearfisherman have any negative impact on the AP or Permit populations. Far more Permit are taken by sharks and Jew fish AFTER pajama wearing fisherman release them.

Fisheries regulations should be based on SCIENCE NOT AGENDAS.
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Quote:

Please give your basis and credentials.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedhead View Post

Please give your basis and credentials.
Don't hold your breath. Banning Permit is 100% necessary for the good of stock and adding AP to it is simply moronic. I bet you can count the number of AP shot in Florida waters on two hands in a year. They are too difficult to target with any certainty therefore no one does.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Mattedhead
Matt Head

I used to flyfish, but now I am finding that I have such a deep seated hatred for the Orvis clad, Abel toting, holier than thou, catch and release yuppie-ass sportfisherman that push their "ethics" onto everyone else. I could care less if the Holy Grail of your existence is to get this fish to munch on a Merkin crab pattern...it's an eff'n permit not some highly intelligent, mythical creature. If a bonefish or tarpon was any good to eat, well I would want to shoot and eat them as well. Put down your pushpole and get off of your high horse...you've been out in the sun too long.

Disclaimer: This rant was brought on by severe lack of sleep, pain medication, and the frustration of only being able to type with my left hand...oh and I hate uppity morons.

this rant is based upon the assumption that these fancy-pants, wanna be Lefty Kreh, ass clowns are somewhat behind this.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
I used to flyfish, but now I am finding that I have such a deep seated hatred for the Orvis clad, Abel toting, holier than thou, catch and release yuppie-ass sportfisherman that push their "ethics" onto everyone else. I could care less if the Holy Grail of your existence is to get this fish to munch on a Merkin crab pattern...it's an eff'n permit not some highly intelligent, mythical creature. If a bonefish or tarpon was any good to eat, well I would want to shoot and eat them as well. Put down your pushpole and get off of your high horse...you've been out in the sun too long.

Disclaimer: This rant was brought on by severe lack of sleep, pain medication, and the frustration of only being able to type with my left hand...oh and I hate uppity morons.

this rant is based upon the assumption that these fancy-pants, wanna be Lefty Kreh, ass clowns are somewhat behind this.
That's one of the funniest things I have ever read, because it's TRUE!!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Quote:
I bet you can count the number of AP shot in Florida waters on two hands in a year. They are too difficult to target with any certainty therefore no one does.
And I thought nobody targeted them because they are illegal to shoot in FL waters.

Scott
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
sailcrazy
cracker

Quote:

best post on sb
Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Thai View Post
And I thought nobody targeted them because they are illegal to shoot in FL waters.

Scott
Scott, that's what I thought too!!!
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
inletsurf

This just reaks of BiminiBill.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Scott, that's what I thought too!!!
Honestly, people do not target Permit. If they happen across a couple on a deep wreck in FED waters where it IS legal to harvest them then they may get lucky and get one.

Inlet,,, Don't forget Bill Parks, Both of them got on SB a few months back professing they we're on the sides of spearfishermen at a local FWC meeting. Then threw us under the bus and backed up over us.

FROM THE FIRST MEETING DISCUSSING PERMIT:

Don DeMaria expressed concerns about commercial spear fishermen taking permit from spawning aggregations. He asked the Commission to research the spear fishing rules. Mr. Teehan replied to Mr. DeMaria’s comments stating staff has met with Mr. DeMaria regarding his concerns and this issue is included for a review and discussion at the April 2009 Commission meeting.

Bill Parks and Don DaMaria's comments at the same meeting [BiminiBill]

Bill Parks urged the Commission to reconsider the areas of Broward, Palm Beach and southern Martin counties, as they are epicenters of Florida’s east coast spawning areas. He suggested staff could speak with Dr. Chris Koenig and John Jolley regarding spear fishing. The numbers of gag grouper that aggregated there to spawn was unparalleled. The problem is it is a very small area of habitat. He asked the Commission to consider closing this area due to its dynamics. Chairman Barreto asked Mr. Parks to meet with Mr. Teehan regarding his concerns.

Additional issues:

Lee Starling asked the Commission to ban of spearing of permit on spawning aggregations. He also expresses concerns for mutton snapper and the current 10-fish bag limit

Jon Ain reiterated that permit needs to be protected. He described seeing permit on the menu at a restaurant in Key West. He mentions that even Belize has recently banned the commercial harvest of permit.

Scott Robson (Destin Charter Boat Association) discussed the decrease of cobia and asked the Commission to make cobia a gamefish and look into creating a slot limit size to build the stock back up. Chairman Barreto asked Mr. Robson to discuss his ideas with Mr. Teehan and Mr. McRae.

So lets recap,

Bill Parks 'BimminiBill" NOT a friend of spearfishing or science based regulations.... Check

Falicia Coleman FSU Marine science professor and PEW trust agenda supporter.... NOT a friend of spearfishing or legitimate science based regulations... Check.

Chris Koenig FSU Marine science professor and PEW trust agenda supporter.... NOT a friend of spearfishing or legitimate science based regulations.. Check

Last edited by Gamble; 09-30-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
Biminibill

Gamble, Inletsurf,

I'm only posting because I was tipped to this ranting from both of you by another reader. When did you get back from the Tea Bagger's parade in DC where a group of utter morons carried nonsensical and inaccurate signs and made nonsensical inaccurate statements JUST like what you wrote here? You must have been there since that clown show sounds just like your "highly intelligent thoughts".

I looked: The last time I was on the Spearboard was in March so guess what? It wasn't me....

As for the grouper closure, I most certainly support it although I wasn't involved in developing the rule. I DID go to the recent FWC meeting in Howey-in-the-Hills on a different matter (go look it up if you’re curious – I’m not going to hand it to you) but also MOST CERTAINLY stood up and supported the grouper closure. Just maybe those of us with a memory of what once was AND a few brains (unlike both of you short sighted "gentlemen") know that the only way to reestablish the great schools of spawning gags we used to have is to "STOP FISHING THE SPAWNING AGGREGATIONS". Guess what? When those big schools still existed we used to get loads of gag in the summer off season as well as the winter. Let them spawn and we may get good summers again. Keep pounding the disgustingly sick little schools of spawners we see now and you will live to see a total, permanent closure on all grouper brought on by ignorance and stupid short-sighted greed. I suppose you guys want the lobster closed season rescinded, too.

Just like the right wing wackos who've destroyed the Republican Party for the foreseeable future, you guys have done the same for spearfishing. I called around after I was tipped to these “philosophical” posts you two concocted. Guess what I found out? The sportfishing lobby is absolutely up in arms over those wonderful macho (see primitive) speared permit brag pictures some of your members posted on this and other boards. “Oh, we have a RIGHT to post these pictures and we’re PROUD of it”. Yeah, but none of you EVER stopped to consider that rubbing your bigger, more powerful fellow fishermen’s noses in your “Great White Hunter” mentality might backfire. It did. Blame Don and I all you want but you Bozos did this to yourself….congrats!!!!!!!

I'm sure this little piece of reality will bring out ALL kinds of responses. Good! Sit in your little echo chamber fish bowl and tell each other how bad Don and I are while the world moves on without you.

Bill Parks
Biminibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Bill...please go back to your hunt for Nemo. OR you could post some solid, empirical, scientific evidence to support your views if you want anyone to take you seriously. Since very little has been collected, especially in the last 10 years this may be difficult.