Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #31
Rifreediver
Skitz

Re: Back in the water

congrats daryl... i cant wiat to get in the water... its gonna take to feb. at least..when i get the go ahead im headed back to hawaii

Frankie
Rifreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #32
oceancurls

Daryl, When someone says you shot to many fish just let them know how many seals you needed to kill to end up with that many fish that they just kept trying and trying and you had to keep shooting and shooting but I would tell you the story but am late for the dog fight that is starting at Michael vicks house. ha ha

Just kidding

Last edited by oceancurls; 10-04-2007 at 07:17 PM.
oceancurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #33
Daryl Wong

Aloha Guys,

Here in Hawaii it can get very territorial as you probably noticed in past posts on diving off shore of other islands such as Maui, Molokai etc. We don't have the luxury or miles of coastline like our lucky Florida friends. Its nice to go to Florida and see that there are nice sized groupers, hogs, and muttons. All you have to do is know where to look, just like it is over here.
Here in Hawaii we are behind the rest of the states in that we still allow gill netting. I've been diving the same spots for over forty years and have seen the impact with the influx of fisherman using gillnets.
We have a new generation of divers coming in and now they don't know what it was like before. So to see someone or divers come in with what may be an average catch seems like overkill to those that don't know where to go or don't have access to nice spots.
Bottom line is that we should all have fun, enjoy the ocean and be happy when others do well. As long as no fish is wasted and taken in a sporting way, then have fun.
My buddies and I love to spend our dives shooting fish we like to eat. If we have extra, we give them away or better yet, we go to a restaurant and have them cook up the fish for the gang. Its funny how fish always tastes better when someone else prepares it for you.
Here is an Ulua we got on a cold nasty day last Sunday. Should have stayed home, but a bad day in the water is always better than doing yard work. I guess that's why I have weeds that are weed wacked every other weekend. ha-ha Unless you are my good friend Claude.... I asked him to turn around so that he wouldn't be seen hurling in the picture. He is a good diver who over looks getting seasick each time out so that he can spear fish. He's my hero. I'm not that tough.
Here's a picture of Claude with his huge 79 lb ulua he shot a few years back.

Aloha, Daryl
wongspearguns.com
(808) 256-5628
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Claude78#ulua.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	62544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaneohe 2007 36 lbssbjpg.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	62545  
Daryl Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #34
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Very nice Darryl. I will be there next week if you guys have room for another diver.

Eric
Old 10-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #35
Daryl Wong

Aloha Eric,

Give me a call when you get into town. 808.256.5628.
If we can't get out, we an at least get out to bs over a drink.

Aloha,Daryl
Old 12-25-2007, 02:29 AM   #36
Daryl Wong

Aloha Guys,

I Feel for you guys in the cold. It's getting cooler here too. The water was 73 degrees and very cold by our standards.

I went out yesterday with Kaipo,Pete Wolfgramm, Ron Ho, Miles who is Ron's brother and Victor Dong a friend from the bay area.
It was victory at sea and normally wouldn't go out but Vic and Miles visiting were all the excuse I needed to take the boat out. The water was surprisingly clear, but rough. We tried to anchor in one spot that was 46ft and the waves were cresting due to the high winds and swells. So we dove some deeper spots. Victor and Miles were a tad under the weather to put it mildly. Not your typical bay area weather that they both are used to. Its not like AB diving!
I shot a nice yellow spot Trevally which was unusually large. The WR is 16.5 lbs and I set that last year. This one was 15 lbs.
Later while diving a spot for Kumu or goatfish, I saw Ron shoot a nice one on the side of a long ledge just behind the boat. I had just shot a Aawa or Hawaiian hogfish and was string it up on Ron's stringer. Ron was on his way back to the boat so I went down to see if any other Kumu's were there. While trying to decide whether to shoot a smaller one than Ron's, I say a Forked tail go by under the ledge. I had checked that ledge when we first got there and it was empty. After seeing the tail, I swam to the far end where I knew there was a pocket.
When I did my breath ups I went down and did my inverted look under the ledge. I was surprise to see a nice 25 lb ulua come by and just as I was going to pull, I saw another one about the same size and a bigger one behind. I though of getting greedy and waiting to line up both fish, but with only mono and a singe barb I thought better. When the big one passed in front of the first ulua I shot it in the head. I was trying to stone it but my aims not as good as the old days.
I stunned the fish and got it out from under the ledge, but it soon came too and dragged me down and it got back under the ledge twice. Then I got a cramp to make things even more interesting. I looked up and the boat was only 75 ft away so I called to Ron and Miles to bring a gun. Miles got to me first and was able to get a nice head shot. I shot it again with Ron's gun to make sure and we got he fish back to the boat. I have to thank Miles because my line was all frayed and ready to part. A great group effort on all of us! Ron weighed it at 45 lbs.
We have Brandon Casey coming to town and hopefully he'll bring good weather. The onos are in and the uluas are too. We just need nice weather.
Hope you all have a great holiday season! I got my xmas fish early.

Aloha,Daryl
Hawaii
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15 lb yellow spot ulua.jpgFDL.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	66660   Click image for larger version

Name:	miles,me and ulua.jpgSB.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	66661   Click image for larger version

Name:	ulua ride.jpgsb.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	66662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miles,ron, Kaipo, Victor.jpgSB.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	66663  
Old 12-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #37
Christo
Wong spearo

Thumbs up Re: Back in the water

Merry Christmas to you, your family and friends and heres to a happy and prosperous '08!
Christo is offline   Reply With Quote