Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
Brandiego
Team Fii

Destin Visit

Hello to all in the upper gulf coast. I'm visiting Destin from 4/22-4/29 on a family vacation from Colorado. It is my first visit to the area and I was hoping to find someone that would like to spearfish or line dive. Even if you can't make it out, if you'd like to point me in the right direction for spearfishing in the area, It would be greatly appreciated.

I personally was an FII instructor for several years until moving from California to Colorado made it pretty prohibitive for me to keep my teaching certification.

My family is making the trip with me and I'd like to find some in-shore places for my kids to shoot some sheepshead.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Brandon
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Alec

Re: Destin Visit

Get in contact with Mike Pooler @ Benthic Ocean Sports, he might be able to get you in on a trip or line dive. Joe D'agostino is the instructor for the area and is a great guy as well. He runs emerald coast freediving, try shooting him an email
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
OMFS

I hope you have some success! I was down visiting over Easter. It was like a ghost town in the bay. Dove five different sites and didn't pull the trigger once. Love the sheepshead -- usually they're plentiful. I do some inshore diving with John Oja while I'm there -- you can find him at Benthic as well.
OMFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Brandiego
Team Fii

The trip went well overall. John, Joe and the rest of the guys at Benthic are top notch and a pleasure to work with. They bailed me out in a large way!

The first day on the beach with my family, I decided to kick out to see what the sand bars held. While out there, one of my fins broke. Benthic hooked me up with some of their carbon fins and they are fantastic.

I did a couple of shore dives and stayed away from the bays. I got a spanish mackerel one day and missed a small cobia another day. Conditions weren't great 10-12 feet of visibility, but good enough for someone normally landlocked.