Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #16
Mendicant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 67
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Accidents on under size fish happen more than out of season fish. The laws on fish lengths keep increasing all the time. The opposite happened with a friend. He threw back 2 gags that were almost 25". He thought this season, they had to be 25" instead of 24". If you "accidentally" get a out of season fish or short. Then, puncture the gas bladder. That way the fish sinks and becomes larger fish food. Hook and liners do it all the time. They have no control on what gets hooked. The guy should of got a warning for being honest and the boat within regulations. Just like cops. Some are ok and others are jerks.
Which tool is best for puncturing the gas bladder? I usually don't have a long, sharp, pointy implement with me, and am digging around with a knife to find it.
__________________
Baltimore's Best Spearo
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!
 
Tyson Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,861
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
Which tool is best for puncturing the gas bladder? I usually don't have a long, sharp, pointy implement with me, and am digging around with a knife to find it.
It's called a "venting tool" and this is one example: https://smile.amazon.com/Anglers-Cho...h+venting+tool

It's useful when fishing in waters deeper than say 40' or so, and it's actually legally required equipment for people who are bottom fishing in Florida.
__________________
< this is a "sherpa."
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #18
Mendicant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 67
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
It's called a "venting tool" and this is one example: https://smile.amazon.com/Anglers-Cho...h+venting+tool

It's useful when fishing in waters deeper than say 40' or so, and it's actually legally required equipment for people who are bottom fishing in Florida.
Huh. You don't say.

So far I've learned from this board that Florida law requires a venting tool and a transom strap.

What other devices that I do not own are legally required to fish with in Florida?
__________________
Baltimore's Best Spearo
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!
 
Tyson Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,861
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
Huh. You don't say.

So far I've learned from this board that Florida law requires a venting tool and a transom strap.

What other devices that I do not own are legally required to fish with in Florida?
A dehooker tool!
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...words=dehooker

But the dehooker and the vent tool are only required if you're bottom fishing for "reef fish" like snapper/grouper.
__________________
< this is a "sherpa."
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
CatDiver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 126
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Actually venting tool requirement went away (you can still do it though of course)

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...sh-gear-rules/
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #21
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!
 
Tyson Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,861
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDiver View Post
Actually venting tool requirement went away (you can still do it though of course)

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...sh-gear-rules/
Oh wow, thanks for that. Had no idea.... I had heard that there was new research that showed the mortality wasn't as much improved as they thought.

But don't forget the circle hook requirement, Mendicant!
__________________
< this is a "sherpa."
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican
 
grey2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey FL
Posts: 1,476
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

I can't believe no one told you cold beer is also a requirement to fish in Florida
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #23
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!
 
Tyson Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,861
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I can't believe no one told you cold beer is also a requirement to fish in Florida
I'm sure he knows about chapter 68B-5 "MISCELLANEOUS" subpart 007 "BEVERAGE REQUIREMENTS" in the Florida Administrative Code https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Chap...?Chapter=68B-5 . THat's common knowledge
__________________
< this is a "sherpa."
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
cldomson1
Converted freediver...
 
cldomson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Age: 49
Posts: 854
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

A good lawyer will get the perpetrator off easily for this one, unless he admitted to shooting the fish. Otherwise, how do they know it was him?
If a speared fish is floating offshore, is the closest boat with a speargun on it responsible??
If had fish tear off on the bottom in deep water, then find the fish floating on the surface 15 minutes later. Luckily it was a big female MG hog and I gaffed it and threw it in the fish box!
C
__________________
cldomson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #25
CuzzA
Registered User
 
CuzzA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 536
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Seeing the trail of floating death of juvenile fish following hook and line boats is a little disheartening. Considering that is the next years harvest.

Venting is not very effective. Instead try this technique FWC is advocating.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer
 
Gary H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Age: 62
Posts: 1,049
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

I made my own I can add or subtract weight from as needed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0727_LoRes.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	238429  
__________________
When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #27
Mendicant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 67
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Oh wow, thanks for that. Had no idea.... I had heard that there was new research that showed the mortality wasn't as much improved as they thought.

But don't forget the circle hook requirement, Mendicant!
Perhaps I am misinterpreting. Stabbing holes into fish was supposed to help the fish?

And what is the circle hook requirement?
__________________
Baltimore's Best Spearo
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #28
Mendicant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 67
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
A good lawyer will get the perpetrator off easily for this one, unless he admitted to shooting the fish. Otherwise, how do they know it was him?
If a speared fish is floating offshore, is the closest boat with a speargun on it responsible??
If had fish tear off on the bottom in deep water, then find the fish floating on the surface 15 minutes later. Luckily it was a big female MG hog and I gaffed it and threw it in the fish box!
C
In the OP, "One of the individuals admitted to spearing the fish."

I think the real lesson is to neither confirm or deny anything.
__________________
Baltimore's Best Spearo
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #29
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!
 
Tyson Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Age: 36
Posts: 1,861
Re: So, question on spearing undersized or out-of-season fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
Perhaps I am misinterpreting. Stabbing holes into fish was supposed to help the fish?

And what is the circle hook requirement?
Hollow needle into air bladder allowed the fish to swim back down, otherwise they die on surface if they are unable to descend.

In Florida if you're fishing with natural bait you have to use circle hooks to prevent gut hooking: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...sh-gear-rules/
__________________
< this is a "sherpa."
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com