Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
Chadms04

Spearfishing Arizona

What’s up I am heading over to Arizona over Xmas and New Years and plan on spearing the Colorado river above Lake Mojave for stripers I have looked into it a bit in the past but anyone have any info or tips on it?? Where to look for them, do you troll and look for marks then dive on it, look for structure?? I have read they don’t like any noise so I am guessing just laying on the bottom may be the best. Anyway I will have my boat and if anyone is over there hit me up and we will slay some fish especially if you can show me the ropes of targeting these fish. Thanks

Chad
Chadms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Spearfishing Arizona

...Depends on the flow of water released from the dam if you are diving below the dam...probably best, is to have someone operate the boat behind you and just drift down from up toward the dam...off Willow beach is some good striper territory...hit the deep holes but, watch out for cables, sharp branches and mono fishing line tangles...definitely carry a knife...it gets dark in the holes but, they hold some big stripers...If they release a lot of water from the dam at some point, the current can get pretty swift and slam you into something..caution is the key to survival...
...Most of the river area is 15 to 20' depths except for the holes...used to be a decent hotel at Willow Beach with a restaurant and nearby launch ramp....not sure if it is still there...Saw a mountain lion up on a cliff there while drifting down during the Nevada State Spearfishing Championships one year. It was a fun, scenic event but, they stopped inviting us when we won all their trophies and prizes three years in a row....
...As far as lake diving, often the fish are suspended out in the lake offshore a ways..Depends on the time of year and water temps...If I recall correctly, the lake record for stripers taken by spear, was about 55 pounds...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 12-15-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Chadms04

Thanks Bob!! I am going to be taking my old man too so hopefully we see some wildlife as well I heard sometimes there some goats up on the hills. I have Jetskied lake Havasu with him and he got a kick out of the cliffs and how cool it is through there.

Yea I was planning on launching from willow and have herd that area is pretty good. And that in the winter they tend to be a bit shallow due to the temps.

Chad
Chadms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
battleborn702

Good luck keep us posted on your results.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
battleborn702 is offline   Reply With Quote