Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
raldog
spearogobro

Really cold (to me) water wetsuit

I find myself in southern Chile and I will eventually get in the water. Saw some guys diving for mussels yesterday and got the itch. I have been diving my whole life in warm water and 20 years in Key West. Wetsuits were almost always optional and thin enough when needed not to restrict movement. As I contemplate 48F water I realize I know jack shit about thick wetsuits. Looking for recommendations for an all-round suit brand, materials, thickness, ect.. Friend in California informed me that wetsuits have come a long way since we used to play in cooler water in north florida. Thanks

Travis
raldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Re: Really cold (to me) water wetsuit

You’ll want something that is open cell and most likely a 7mm. Polosub makes great custom suits. Off the rack, salvimar, Riffe and yazbek and jbl make nice ones as well. I’ve also heard great things about the suits from Mako spearguns.
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #3
jersymudsniper

I wear a 5mm suit in that temp and so do most of my buddies. 7mm is pretty thick to me but i never tried one personally. I wear 4mm socks and 3mm gloves. Below 50 i get cold after a few hrs. But im ready to get out by then anyway. Lots of good suits as mentioned above. I wear a sea sniper, hecs and mako. Honestly for the money my mako suit is just as good as my others in my opinion. Suits iv had that i think are garbage would be mares.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Definitely a custom made wetsuit as you’ll want it snug to your
Body with minimal water leakage.
Another thing will be to refrain from peeing in your wetsuit as the water will cool down rapidly and you’ll feel cold (that’s why a lot of Europeans have a tube extension between the zipper “pissette” since they dive in colder water.

Polosub have great custom wetsuit N17 or N21), open cell/lined outside is great and pretty durable, especially if diving from rocks/shore. I would go w 7mm for 45-55F water, 5mm for 55-67F, and 3mm for 68-75F

My thoughts...

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
raldog
spearogobro

Thanks guys. Off the shelf seems to be my option here for now. I will look into a custom suit next time I can. Man, cold water really seems to make me think twice about getting in.
raldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
sealark

7 mill farmer john with hooded vest. 47 deg. Is frekin cold.

Last edited by sealark; 05-28-2019 at 04:49 PM.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
nilsonov

If 47 is as good as it gets then you need a 7mm open cell. I dive in a 5mm open cell in northern NJ/NYC in June and July - water is probably around 60-65 degrees. Compare that with an ocean temp chart wherever you are, but unlike the dude above that dives for a couple hourse <50, i wouldn't stand a chance in that water. also, never seen onyone say "damn, wayy too hot in this suit man..."

post up some south chilean fish pics when you get them...

Last edited by nilsonov; 05-28-2019 at 09:58 AM.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:24 AM   #8
sealark

Here travis read this and head it. I was in Panama City when these tables were being developed using Navy Diver volunteers. I declined. Get a dry suit or at least a 7 mil two piece and hooded vest. Or a remote operated camera and stay in the boat.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
frankt
apneist

Mako is what I like and have been using for 4 years now
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote