Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Re: Immersion freediving review

Oz,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the class. I'll be running training trips June 23-24, for certified freedivers. You can bring your gun and dives on the lines as well. We wont' be shooting fish but you'll get a chance to work on your form while you are actually carrying your gun. Cost is $125 and that includes the training and the boat trip. Call me if interested.

Would enjoy diving with you again.

Dive safe

Ted Harty
PFI Freediving courses in South Florida.
US Men's Freediving Record Holder
2012 Captain for USA Freediving Team
See courses in action on my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ImmersionFD

Immersion Freediving
Why choose Immersion Freediving
Speargun training sessions
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 06-29-2012 at 02:10 PM.
ImmersionFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here is a great video review from a private freediver class I ran last week.

This guy has been spearing for 50 years, and had some really funny lines. He had been a life long valsva equalizer, and had never learned to frenzel. When I asked him if frenzel was easy to do, he said it was as easy as breaking wind.

He had 2 friends die from shallow water blackout and decided it was never to late to improve his ability and his safety.

Great testimonial.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 06-29-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here are two video reviews from yet more satisfied Immersion customers. One student had been spearfishing his whole life. Both students learned how to do frenzel via my skype equaling session which is held before class ever start to make sure they have time to master the technique.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 07-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
TEG

I just finished the Immersion Freediving Intermediate course. I cannot even begin to describe how happy I am that I made the decision to take the course, but here it goes. I came into the course slightly skeptical and not quite sure what to expect. After a great first lecture I decided to be a little more open minded and really try and perform everything just as Ted was instructing. After the first pool session I was a believer! I came out of the first day with a new personal best of 4 minutes for my static breath hold, adding a full minute to my old time that first day and felt like I could have gone even longer! The second day I did even better, improving again to 4 minutes and 50 seconds! Ted’s natural ability to teach complicated concepts so anyone can understand is like nothing I have ever seen. I work in the medical field and can honestly say that Ted’s explanation of the respiratory system and it’s relation to the nervous system was without a doubt the most thorough and easy to understand that I have ever heard. Beyond personal bests being set during the course, it was worth every penny I spent if only for the safety measures that I learned during the course. I am still in awe thinking about how unsafe my diving practices were before the course. If you are sitting there reading this and think that you are above taking one of these courses well then I just hope your good luck continues. You may think you are being safe but you really have no idea. Even if you are a diver that is already regularly diving past the beginner course max depth of 66ft, it would still benefit and improve your diving to take even just the beginner freediver course, if that is what you can afford. You will learn the safety and techniques that will open up your eyes to how much you really do not know about freediving. So a big thanks to Ted Harty and Immersion Freediving. I can’t wait to get back down there and dive with you again.
Thomas
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
alyons

I recently attended the PFI Indermediate Freediver course offered by Immersion Freediving. I took time off work, travelled 3,000 miles, hotel, rental car, the whole nine yards. It was worth every minute and every penny. If you really do want to dive deeper, stay down longer and be completely safe all the while, take this course. The instructor Ted Harty is the real deal. He is the 2012 USA Freediving Team Captain and a national freediving record holder. Freediving is not a hobby for him, it’s what he does for a living.
The class is four days of comprehensive training and Ted is extremely thorough. He covers every detail of diving and explains it all in terms anyone can understand.
Even though I'm not in very good physical shape right now and about 25lbs. over weight, I was still able to increase my maximum depth by 30% and added over a minute to my static breath-hold. It's all about technique.
I don't care how long you've been diving or what you think you know, if you take this course you will absolutely learn things you never imagined and become a better freediver, period.

I would highly recommend Immersion Freediving to anyone.

Austin Lyons
Fairfield, CA
alyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Another review from the Immersion Freediving PFI July Intermediate.

This from Sean who had already taken a similar level course in Egypt.

"Ted Harty’s thorough and detailed attention to improving freediving technique coupled with his strong emphasis on safety leaves you with greater confidence and more importantly the ability to go deeper and stay down longer than you ever thought possible. Ted is an emerging ‘who’s who’ on today’s international freediving scene and his leadership has the potential to take the sport and TeamUSA to an unprecedented high. Immersion Freediving is without question among the best freediving instruction programs being offered in the world today. And the results clearly speak for themselves."

Immersion closing ceremonies at the world famous Pirate Bar. Cheeseburgers, spicy pirate balls(fried mozzarella balls) , cold beer and espresso. Everything bad for freediving in one meal. Great way to end the course.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 07-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here is the course video from the Immersion Freediving PFI July Intermediate course.

I wrote a dark/heavy guitar riff the other day and thought it would be great in freediving video.

Used it in latest video. Check it out!

Why choose Immersion freediving?
  1. Currently the deepest diving American freediving Instructor in the US 279 ft.
  2. I keep the classes small max of 5 people no 20 person classes.
  3. I was selected to be the Captain of the US 2012 Freediving Team.
  4. I run the class on my own boat, have a coast guard captain, first aid and DAN 02, just like dive boat but with out the busy schedule, so we get more time in the water.
  5. I teach ALL my students even entry level ones, proper Frenzel technique before the class starts via skype.
  6. I personally teach every class at Immersion Freediving.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 08-01-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here is video from ocean training session last weekend, where any certified freediver can come out and work on skills. Cost is $125 and that includes boat fees and the instruction, open to any certified PFI or FII diver.

Sean came out and maxed the course out with a 132ft dive! Nice job, multiple 100ft dives and as always we ended with underwater black out rescues.

I made some major changes to the introduction, cut it from 21 seconds to 11 seconds, a change that was a long time coming. Check out the video, I think its much better looking now. First time I've ever filmed a seahorse, was very excited to see one out in the gulf stream.

Sean compares his experience with Immersion to his previous freediving class.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 07-31-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
riley's hump

My wife Krista and I just finished a day out with Ted and it was great as I knew it would be from having Ted as one of our PFI instructors several years ago. I wanted a day on the line with some fine tuning from Ted instead of just spearing every day in the 70' rut I was in. Ted helped both of us perfect our frenzel clearing and Krista quickly had back to back 100', 105'. and 108' dives. We have both been spearing in the 50' to 70' range for 20 years but learned an awful lot from Ted about diaphram tension, frenzel, and other facets necessary for deeper diving. The most important part of the day though was a refresher on rescue techniques and watching out for Blackout which is always a possibility whether training in the pool or pulling out lobster on the reef. No one is immune no mater there experience level. Im my opinion you could not hope for any better training than that provided by Ted Harty at Immersion Freediving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44 cuda.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	176337  
riley's hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Sterling,

Thanks for the nice words, its was GREAT to work with you two again. I hope you saw the video that I made with you guys in it, its in the above post.

Hope to work with you two again,

Keep that wife of yours safe!

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 08-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
VA Speara

Ted is a phenomenal instructor and coach, hands down. His Immersion Freediving program combines his principles of superior safety with customized instruction to result in his students' individual bests on each occasion. Through Ted's instruction and leadership, I reached my personal static breath hold best of 3+ minutes and personal depth best of 100 feet - blowing my prior personals bests out of the water! (no pun intended)

In short, I wholeheartedly recommend Ted and Immersion Freediving to those looking to improve safety, depth and duration while freediving in spearfishing, recreation or competition. His intuitive instruction is second to none.
VA Speara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Kelley,

Glad you enjoyed the course so much, I'm looking forward to diving with you and Ben again.

Not sure if you had seen these before but these are clips from your static and your final 100ft dive.

Post some pictures of the fish your getting to my Immersion Freediving FB page.
Dive safe up there!

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
ahoullis

really want to take a class, once i get the money def
ahoullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #29
seadevilfl

I recently completed the November 2012 Intermediate Freediving course with Ted Harty at Immersion Freediving in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Previous to taking this course, I was diving 35-40ft depths comfortably and could do a 2 minute static breathhold. Since taking this course with Ted, I was able to complete an 85ft dive and 4'25'' static breathhold in the pool. Simply amazing!

I never realized how important equalization was at these depths and Ted has a skype session with every student before the class starts. The class size is limited to only 5 students, which is a big reason I took this course over other courses offered. Ted is a terrific instructor and was always focused on everyone's individual needs, providing that “one on one” attention. The classroom sessions focused on safety, techniques and physiology. Safety was also a part of every ocean session and I learned a great deal. I was not a safe diver prior to taking this course, but now have the knowledge to easily adjust my diving style.

We had a lot of dive time in the ocean and even more fun! Ted's dive boat “Sink Faze” was very nice and comfortable and much better than dealing with a big charter dive boat. I am very happy I decided to take this course with Immersion Freediving and can't wait to get back out in the water for further ocean training with Ted.

Jason Rice

Last edited by seadevilfl; 11-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.
seadevilfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Jason,

Glad you enjoyed the class, hope you can make it out for further ocean training sessions. Glad to hear the equalizing on deeper dives got easier the last day.

Here is another review from a student during the same course, who had taken another free diving course before working with Immersion.

"I never learned how to swim. My mother always said I was born with ocean water in my veins. From life guarding in the summers to thirteen years on swimming and diving teams, as well as having been a certified scuba diver for fourteen years, water is my second home. Therefore when I signed up for my first free diving class, it seemed like this was going to be a no brainer. I would just need to train to hold my breathe longer. While the theory and safety aspects of the class were easy to pick up, there was one fundamental skill required in order to be a free diver that completely eluded me. The Frenzel Technique of clearing your ears. All the other divers were able to pick it up so easily. It seems my years of experience actually put me at a disadvantage. Evidently my body had naturally found a way to equalize in the past and I had been using it habitually for 38 years. I found out it was inadequate at depths greater than 15-20ft, and it would be a really hard habit to break. I couldn't believe that I would fail to reach a 33ft dive, which honestly didn't seem that big of a deal, before I couldn't equalize my ears.

There is a happy ending to this story. I completed the class by doing the basics. But the real work started afterwards. I was not left to my own devices, however. I continued to practice but Ted was also there to help as much as possible. Via phone and Skype and with the help of several written exercises he gave me, I was finally able to master the Frenzel. It took about 3 weeks of daily practice. The key was attacking the problem from a all angles. If one thing didn't work, we tried another. It was almost like occupational therapy for your throat and ears. And it worked. 3 months later, Ted coached me through my personal best, a dive to 80ft.

Before meeting Ted, I had taken one other freediving course. It was overcrowded and the instructors didn't seem to have enough time to coach those having difficulties. It turned out that I learned very little from that course. Ted's courses are smaller, more organized and simply more informative. Not only do I feel that I have a good base for continuing my training in freediving. But more importantly, I feel that I could safely handle most freediving emergencies with confidence.

That is why I think Ted offers the best freediving course available. Having tried others first; I can say that this course is the one you want to take. Hands down, the best and worth every penny. "

Heather Stone
11/6/2012

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 11-07-2012 at 02:21 PM.