Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Divefresh
IN YOUR HEAD

Re: Diving with Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_dude View Post
Funniest shit I have ever seen.

boonandcrockets@gmail.com

Check my videos out here.....

http://http://vimeo.com/26251075

http://www.youtube.com/user/typical250

Last edited by Divefresh; 09-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Divefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #32
Oscarroos

This has been an interesting, and revealing thread. I've had some very good spearfishing discussions with Bill in other forums and did not sense ANY nastiness or other behavior that has been attributed to Bill on here IN THIS thread.

So I started searching and went back to when Bill was active here and found something rather interesting: first off, Bill is an active experienced Freediver who STILL dives and happily gives good solid advice. Where he seemed to get banned (more on that in a minute) was in a NON spearfishing area that frankly IMHO has no business here (P&R). His responses in the P&R threads, those I found, debunked what to a normal person recognizes as pure undulated caca.

So, in my research, He got banned for trying to correct the nut cases conspiracies with facts - and got in trouble for that when his real spearfishing responses were helpful - sorry this makes no sense on a Spearfishing forum.

In regards to "banning". Not sure what the medium age is here - but asking an experienced spearo to present his responses to someone for approval before being allowed to post - feels like grade school behavior of like in Singapore where you could speak in public AFTER the government censored your speech. Singapore is not democratic and I thought free speech was a given - personal attacks, of course these should not be permitted, but a discussion of diverse opinions is - but the real question in my mind after some digging - is why is an experienced spearo banned while the crazy non spearfishing stuff allowed and in such abundance? Being treated like a grade schooler IS banning - who with principles would post under those conditions? Better to say thank you have a good life. This doesn't hurt Bill but does deprive newbies from good solid advice based on REAL experience.

Do these guys that post on P&R dive? What s their purpose here? Why is that even allowed? It's mostly way out in lala land stuff that most normal folks KNOW is caca - sorry just does not make sense here.

Just saying.
Oscarroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #33
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarroos View Post
Just saying.
Yes, you are just saying - because your little amount of research missed a whole lotta facts. The history is big, and there is no point in trying to resurrect it all again. Too bad this thread had to get started. Bad memories need to just be bygones. His drama is better left in the dustbin of history. Suffice it to say, he has a hard time discussing ideas without attacking people and exposing personal information. That is the source of the trouble.

And yes, all of those who posted in the P&R section spearfish - a lot - as much as Bill does, or ever did.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #34
tommy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarroos View Post
This has been an interesting, and revealing thread. I've had some very good spearfishing discussions with Bill in other forums and did not sense ANY nastiness or other behavior that has been attributed to Bill on here IN THIS thread.

So I started searching and went back to when Bill was active here and found something rather interesting: first off, Bill is an active experienced Freediver who STILL dives and happily gives good solid advice. Where he seemed to get banned (more on that in a minute) was in a NON spearfishing area that frankly IMHO has no business here (P&R). His responses in the P&R threads, those I found, debunked what to a normal person recognizes as pure undulated caca.

So, in my research, He got banned for trying to correct the nut cases conspiracies with facts - and got in trouble for that when his real spearfishing responses were helpful - sorry this makes no sense on a Spearfishing forum.

In regards to "banning". Not sure what the medium age is here - but asking an experienced spearo to present his responses to someone for approval before being allowed to post - feels like grade school behavior of like in Singapore where you could speak in public AFTER the government censored your speech. Singapore is not democratic and I thought free speech was a given - personal attacks, of course these should not be permitted, but a discussion of diverse opinions is - but the real question in my mind after some digging - is why is an experienced spearo banned while the crazy non spearfishing stuff allowed and in such abundance? Being treated like a grade schooler IS banning - who with principles would post under those conditions? Better to say thank you have a good life. This doesn't hurt Bill but does deprive newbies from good solid advice based on REAL experience.

Do these guys that post on P&R dive? What s their purpose here? Why is that even allowed? It's mostly way out in lala land stuff that most normal folks KNOW is caca - sorry just does not make sense here.

Just saying.
You didn't read enough of Bill's posts both in the Cali section and the Pand R sections.... I could give examples but where would that lead to....? Bill was warned several times to not reveal personal information about another board member but he ignored those warnings.... I'm sure that when the board can trust Bill, he will loose the leg irons
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
randkauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Too bad this thread had to get started. Bad memories need to just be bygones.
Yes, too bad a thread was started regarding spearfishing and a trip report with a positive outcome to boot.
randkauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #36
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkauf View Post
Yes, too bad a thread was started regarding spearfishing and a trip report with a positive outcome to boot.
The problem wasn't the spearfishing trip report with a positive outcome. The problem was the drama queen that was at the center of it.

I am glad Bill got a fish. I am glad you got to go and have a positive experience. Just understand that this guy is polarizing and controversial to say the least - and you can thank Oscarroos in post #6 for the turn the thread took - but it was inevitable - if not him - somebody else would have taken it that way - just because of who Bill is and what he has done.

The guy is a lightening rod, by his own design and because he likes it that way, because it gets him attention - and attention is what he thrives on. I am not going to give him anymore - I just wanted you to understand why things are the way they are - it is because Bill likes it that way, and does what he can to keep it that way.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #37
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
And yes, all of those who posted in the P&R section spearfish - a lot - as much as Bill does, or ever did.
I seriously doubt that
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #38
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb Re: Diving with Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy7 View Post
You didn't read enough of Bill's posts both in the Cali section and the Pand R sections.... I could give examples but where would that lead to....? Bill was warned several times to not reveal personal information about another board member but he ignored those warnings.... I'm sure that when the board can trust Bill, he will loose the leg irons
This exactly true. History shows I was a huge defender of Bill (remember the Red Baron Dive Club attacks on him?), but I finally gave up and Bill got what he wanted - a warped martyrdom status after committing board suicide. Bill's parting posting comment was about how his head was hitting the keyboard late at night as he was falling asleep as he continually posted a political enemy's personal information over and over. Imagine if Bill's seething anger was directed at yourself when you express your dismay for the loss of Bill.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #39
pauliex
Pauliex

P&R section makes no sense on this forum, it's like a ghost or UFO sighting section...

... brings out the crazies!
pauliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #40
MF_Jones
mitch jones

Quote:

The guy is a lightening rod, by his own design and because he likes it that way, because it gets him attention - and attention is what he thrives on. I am not going to give him anymore - I just wanted you to understand why things are the way they are - it is because Bill likes it that way, and does what he can to keep it that way.
no offense northstar but i think Bill posted a lot more valuble stuff than you ever did.
MF_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #41
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Re: Diving with Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliex View Post
P&R section makes no sense on this forum, it's like a ghost or UFO sighting section...

... brings out the crazies!
That statement implies the "crazies" are already on board.

Just for historical clarity since you have not been a member long, here is the first post I made in setting up that forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
I have decided to set up a new experimental forum on Spearboard. There has been some very good recent debate on the merits and problems of having a special place for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects. I would like to try this idea out and see how it works. We can always merge back the threads and delete the new forum if it does not work.

Basically, the way it would work is if the subject is political or religious in your opinion, please start the thread in this forum. There would be no changes to the way new posts show up on the new posts section at the top of the board. I will move some active threads from the recent past here now to kick this off and see what happens. I personally have no issues with political or religious debate and like to see it happen, but I know some members would like to see it in a separate forum. We may decide this does not really change anything or matter, but I am willing to try it out. Please bear with this experiment.
The basic principle is people do not have to look in that section of they wish to avoid that sort of discussion which was thus isolated. Billy Mac was a huge contributor to that forum since he is a political animal through and through. I personally stay out of it. The choice is yours and yours only. If you have trouble not looking at accident scenes on the highway, then it may be more difficult.

Carry on.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #42
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Jones View Post
no offense northstar but i think Bill posted a lot more valuble stuff than you ever did.
No offense taken, Mitch. Anybody with 35,000+ posts is going to post more stuff, and more stuff that someone finds of value, than I have, with only 3,000+ posts. So I agree, he posted a lot more valuable stuff than I did - at least, it was of value to the So-Cal folks.

My posts have been about PNW spearfishing, and of value to those who spearfish up here, his are So-Cal WSB/YT stuff that is of value to people down there. His posts are of little value to me and those up here, and mine are of little value to him and those who spearfish down there. That's just how it is.

I did make a lot of positive comments on his fish reports through the years just to show him some support. He never commented on one of mine that I recall. I really didn't care if he did or not.

But there is some crossover in equipment, and that is where I profited from his posts.

I have even asked Bill in a PM for information on a piece of equipment and he graciously responded with helpful input.

So yeah - he had a lot to contribute, if he could just keep his attitude and ego in check. Sadly, he couldn't. Everybody, including him, lost out as a result.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #43
ediggity

Great write-up (original post)... I too had the honor of diving with Bill a couple of times. He's a wealth of experience and a great guy... but most importantly for this type of environment, he's open, approachable, and down to earth. There are people with 1/4 the experience he has, that get frustrated with new divers, basic questions, etc. They put up answers like "do a search" or are not willing to offer a lending hand. Bill always took the time to share... and it seemed as if he genuinely wanted to help you... probably because he did!

This community is not what it was without him... shame...

Edwin
ediggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #44
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post

Like Ethan and mainphrame and a few others have experienced, Bill was put in the moderation queue which means posts have to be approved by a moderator like me or zenspearo. Ethan, mainphrame and others have emerged from that status by simply showing they can behave.

heck yeah, i learned how to behave too!
NihilisticMisanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

now if i could only get bill to dive with me

again

Last edited by NihilisticMisanthropist; 09-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.
NihilisticMisanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote