Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #31
AlexTheKid
Alex Hughes

Re: The Only Way to Clean an Abalone Shell

I more or less followed this method and produced some nice shells - although some didn't come out that well. I took lab-grade HCl at ~12M and diluted around 5-fold. Still very nasty stuff so don't take chances with this. Luckily I could use a proper fume hood at work. Coated with lacquer - I actually like the shiny look. Next time I'll try to use a pressure washer and/or soak in detergent beforehand to get rid of some of the harder calcified stuff - whether or not this can be removed seems to dictate how well the shell will come out. These will make great christmas presents, thanks for the tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abalone4Small.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	140138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Abalone6Small.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	140139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Abalone9Small.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	140140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Abalone10Small.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	140141  
AlexTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #32
fishmustdie
Power's on!

Thanks Kirby, one of the best Cal SB info threads ever, it deserves a resurrection.

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #33
riff
><>

I personally like to go into my closet with a dremel and snort the fumes- YOLO baby

serious note: awesome post. My girlfriends father was asking me how to do this. Now I can impress him and seem smart to the 'ol lady - Boom
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #34
mikelb

Kind of a question or thought: Is it potentially harmful to inhale the dry shell dust? Julian, chime in. Chronic cough never hurt anyone......
Old 04-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #35
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelb View Post
Kind of a question or thought: Is it potentially harmful to inhale the dry shell dust? Julian, chime in. Chronic cough never hurt anyone......
Hi Mike, The dust is extremely hazardous (think snorting silica powder). A respirator should be used during the entire process from acid etch to any drilling/sanding. If you can smell the wonderful "burnt dog hair", that's bad.

I use a big cooler to contain the acid, rinse, slimy stuff, and work inside the cooler with the Abs on 2x4 pieces, respirator and Playtex gloves.

The medical bit is...the "Ab Dust", if inhaled, will travel to the sinuses/bronchus/lungs. Some will be ejected by coughing and phlegm conveyor. Some will embed or migrate to the lower lobes of the lungs (primarily the right side) and accumulate. Silicosis is very distinct on radiographs (x-ray images)...not a good thing to find.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
mikelb

And that would be why I posted. My friend is anal, he is very knowledgeable about many things especially shells and abalone. He is extremely detailed and careful when cleaning the abs. He has his process which includes using our friend's contained sanding blasting machine. In the attached photo the condition of the shells is due to their age and not damage in the cleaning processj. They are very, very large abalone shells.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abalone trophy.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	204042  
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #37
surfer349

Is there a difference between lacquer and polyurethane? Anyone have a preference?
surfer349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 AM   #38
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer349 View Post
Is there a difference between lacquer and polyurethane? Anyone have a preference?
Lacquers will dry very quickly. (5 minutes to 30 minutes.) Lacquers, when shot onto other lacquer layers, actually 'wet' the lower layers, and become truly monolithic, single layers when dried.
Lacquers will fade over time, become chalky a little, when exposed to sunlight. Certain cleaning compounds and chemicals will dull a lacquer finish very quickly and irreversibly. Lacquer cleans up with lacquer thinner; but it leaves a chalky residue, which is extremely dry. When re-shot with a lacquer, it will come crystal clear.

Oil based Polyurethanes, and true spar varnishes have very long dry times relative to lacquers. Think 2-6 hrs. of wet time, vs. 5-20 They gloss over better, and the finish is pretty impervious to almost anything you throw at them, s long as it does not stay soaking on there for a while. They clean up when wet with paint thinner, mineral spirits. These WILL yellow and age over time. Faster in direct sunlight.

Water based polyurethanes, and pure acrylic enamels are the hardest finishes available. They do not yellow over time appreciably. They are almost impervious to solvents and cleaning solutions. They dry faster than oil urethanes, but slower than lacquers. (Think 20 minute to 45 minute wet times.) They clean up WITH WATER. They tend to dry perfectly clear, but lack the 'depth' of an oil based polyurethane. They gloss well, but in a 'sharp' finish, not in a 'flowing' finish. he biggest drawback is getting a spray gun which will apply it very smoothly. It tends to not always flow like an oil, and though it looks much like a lacquer, it does not wet itself to previous layers. Meaning, if you want to get a deep finish, you often have to stay set up to second and third coat within 1hr. of each other, or the coats will be layers, not monolithic, and the coats in some cases can actually not bond well when you get to final topcoats- and it's not real easy to sand an abalone shell between coats to get a better surface to adhere to.

Final option is epoxy. 99% as hard as a water based urethane, all the wet time of oil urethane, the depth of oil urethane, less yellowing..... and all the complications of all 3 other topcoats with regards to clean up and working time. And..... the most expensive option.

From a rattle can, lacquer is my favorite. Keep it out of the constant sun.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:45 AM   #39
Bob Ballew

I have ab shells that are over 40 years old and look like new...wipe a coat of mineral oil (from drug stores) inside and outside the shell every 6 months to a year, after wiping off dust/old coating first...this keeps the pearl moist and it doesn't turn white or crusty...often, plastic and lacquer type coatings tend to turn yellow from light exposure after a few years and make the shells look odd..mineral oil is a great preservative and doesn't cause any color changes...I also dilute the muratic acid with water so it doesn't fast burn a hole in my arm if it gets splashed accidentally....well done post, by the way....
Safety tip: NEVER pour water in acid...pour the acid into water...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote