Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
sharpshooter

Out of JP 8-20-19

Late start. Left JP at noon. Seas were less than 2'. Depth: 74'. Bottom water temp.:84 F. Horz. vis: 35'. Fish in the box: 1 decent gag and 2 mangoes. On my one and only dive. I saw lots of under size and almost legal gags, hogs and mangoes. If a fish looks barely legal. I give it a pass. I now have the fish sizes marked on my gun. I measure it. Before, it goes on my HOD (hoop of death). Just letting you know. Once, you string up that fish. It's "possession". I don't need to surface and find FWC, Marine Patrol, etc.. aboard the boat. Or telling me to hand them up my fish into their boat. If you have a short fish. It's $250 and you're in their system on a 5 year watch. I was on a boat this summer where it happened. No, it wasn't me. Also, we just beat the late afternoon rain storms by a few minutes tying up at the dock.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
zackistre

Re: Out of JP 8-20-19

The harvest or possession rule because it's on your stringer. This rule makes no sense just for spearing and isn't written clearly in the law. Thousands times more fish caught by longliners and fisherman in deep water are thrown back dead daily. Commercial spearfisherman have to fill out a bycatch/discard sheet for NOAA data. This is exactly what this is for. I believe a lot of the fwc guys might be enforcing a incorrect law saying that because it's on your stringer it's harvested. Almost impossible to measure a fish underwater correctly. From my understanding harvested is the fish in your fish box cooler ice box etc. On your stringer it's no different than putting a fish on the deck to measure after getting caught by hook.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote