Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
sos26

TANKS what ya think

Well, just got some of my steel HP100's filled at my LDS ... He now tells me that if i let the pressure fall below 350lb. he will need to do a another Vis in order to do a fill.......WTF.....
Last year he tried to tell me that when i let the pressure go below 500, that will let water into the tank and that is why there was a little surface rust in my tanks ... ????? I said, you gota be kidding me .... noop he meant it .... So now I'm not sure if he is a bullshitter or a moron ??? But he or anyone else will NEVER convince me that can happen ! Even with 5lb. or even 0lb. with the valve closed .... Now, if that valve is left open for a period time with many warming and cooling cycles to allow humid air to enter ,, THEN it may be possible ...... but unlikely .... BTW, when tanks are vised , is the humid air purged out as it is being filled ?? What about when being hydroed ? they fill with water ,,, do they always dry it perfectly ? we will never know... Sooo maybe i'll looking for another shop.... Besides, I get tired of begging and the need to kiss his ass to get a good solid fill. At LEAST to 3450 !
Old 01-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
diverlen

Re: TANKS what ya think

I would never visit that shop again, the guy is simply bonkers
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
sealark

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
I would never visit that shop again, the guy is simply bonkers
Thats correct. There is no law that says you need a vip. Dive shops are in business to make money. Some get carried away with it. A vip is a good idea when you get a hydro. I would tell you a lot more but my house would probably get burndt down. Go tell that shop if he wants your business to cut out the shit and just fill tanks or you will go elseware. If he wants to talk about it have him post or PM me. Any odds on me getting a PM.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Go tell them to pound sand. Total sham. Call them out and make them defend their assertions. I see you live in an area of limited competition. If you want to patron their services, apparently, you'll have to develop some diplomatic skills if you want to get your way there.
I've sucked my tanks dry before and never had any problems.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
popgun pete

Take your business elsewhere as you are being told a load of bullsh*t.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
sos26

What stinks is I still have like 12 fills on my air card and it would be inconvenient to go to the next shop. My diplomatic skills don't seem to be working on this one.. I came down this season hoping he would be gone (they go through a manager about every-other year)...
But there he was... I tried to be nice , and thats the first thing out of his mouth,bummer...

No wonder a guy was trying to sell me his air card !
Old 01-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
sealark

Name the shop I'll bet he gets a lot of phone calls see the owner not a worker that probably get a couple dollars for every Vis they get.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
sealark

Go tell the owner you are gonna buy a Bauer Compressor and fill any tank friends bring to you for free. Nothing wrong with a friend dropping a 5 on his way out. Bet the owner will treat you right.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #9
sos26

I have thought of that , but I dive too many places to be worth it (Fl. Del. NC )...... but if i only dove here, i would have one !
Old 01-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
Wood Guy

I would speak to the owner of the dive shop, tell him what's going on, and see if he supports the manager, or sees it as a problem that needs addressing. If he agrees with the manager, ask for a refund on the unused dive card fills (you probably won't get it), and move on. Word of mouth travels fast over water, and the dive shop owner probably knows that if he's been around awhile.

In my opinion, you need to make sure the owner knows what's going on, and see if it's store policy, or the policy of a rogue manager, then make your decision. When I was doing focus groups years ago, we found that 80% of dissatisfied customers say nothing, they just move on, and the people who can change things often don't ever know about the problem.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
sos26

That's a good point ,, like a restaurant,, few complain ,, people just stop coming in....

I made that call today,, couldn't get him but they said he would call me,,,,,still waiting ........
Old 02-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
sealark

Deleated

Last edited by sealark; 02-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.