Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
jfjf

Who is Afraid of Bull Sharks?

https://youtu.be/MdlflJoVrbY
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Who is Afraid of Bull Sharks?

Fins not pointed down..
Backs not humped up..
Just curious bulls, what's the problem?
and, a few other observations:
Last video I saw of yours, you didn't cock the bands till you reached the wreck. I found that curious, what had you seen a nice fish on the way down?
This video you cocked the bands IN THE BOAT...I know, I know, some people do that..
Last observation..WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO ALL THE F'n TIME???
Every video of yours...!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Fins not pointed down..
Backs not humped up..
Just curious bulls, what's the problem?
and, a few other observations:
Last video I saw of yours, you didn't cock the bands till you reached the wreck. I found that curious, what had you seen a nice fish on the way down?
This video you cocked the bands IN THE BOAT...I know, I know, some people do that..
Last observation..WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO ALL THE F'n TIME???
Every video of yours...!
What's the problem? Have you seen a pack of bulls go from zero to 100 before? Seriously, have you seen that?

I have and it can get out of control in an instant.

The bulls are smelling the blood from the wounded fish and they almost certainly know the source.
As I indicated, they were patrolling the area. As you correctly observed, they were not being super aggressive or overly excited.

However, when the one did a direct approach and only turned away about 5 feet from me, that spooked me and with at least 4 of them, it was more than I can watch.

The super wide angle of the gopro makes everything look further away and smaller than it really is -
Great for making your spearfishing shots look good, but kinda minimizes the appearance and proximity of big things.

More specifically, I was worried that when I stick my head in the hole and reach in, that I was leaving my legs to be too vulnerable.
And when I pull the struggling fish out of the hole, there is a good chance they could become competitive with each other and me.

It was more excitement than I was willing to take on.

So I fully expected that some people would think I was being too scared (or overly cautious) when they see the actual video.
That's fine with me, if I cared, I wouldn't have posted the video.

If I had someone to watch my back, I might have been a lot braver. Obviously the fish could be extracted, because my buddy went down and floated the fish.

As for loading the gun, it is advantageous to have it loaded as soon as possible- no argument with that. Sometimes I get a little casual with that- especially when the fish aren't so thick.

The talking.. to myself I guess. I'm not sure exactly how the sharks respond to noise and bubbles, perhaps it helps?

To be completely honest, I have not been preparing myself for so much shark activity. I don't even bother with carrying powerheads much anymore.
I normally just stop shooting when the shark(s) make me uncomfortable.

If you are interested, I will sell you my HERO 4 (for cheap) and you will have the opportunity to stick it on your forehead and make a way more exciting video.
It is cheap and easy - anyone can do it.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
...my buddy went down and floated the fish.
to your buddy.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
CatDiver

I'm not sure how excited I would be to get someone else's grouper out in that situation with no one diving with me. I know east coast guys are shooting cobia off bull sharks all the time but not me. And I talk to myself and others underwater all the time. It's usually funny on video.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Sea_Bass

I'm afraid of the bull sharks in Jupiter. I would have bailed too.

SEATUX, you have no idea what you are talking about around this part of town. You lost, boy? Come on over and show us how it's done. My boat personal invite no-cost, I'll drop you solo on my favorite Jupiter bull spots. But you don't dive or spearfish do you? When was the last time you posted a trip report, a pic, or a video?

Thanks for sharing Jim.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
I'm afraid of the bull sharks in Jupiter. I would have bailed too.

SEATUX, you have no idea what you are talking about around this part of town. You lost, boy? Come on over and show us how it's done. My boat personal invite no-cost, I'll drop you solo on my favorite Jupiter bull spots. But you don't dive or spearfish do you? When was the last time you posted a trip report, a pic, or a video?

Thanks for sharing Jim.
Hey, thanks for talking shit, I may take you up on your offer tho.
As for posting pictures and reports,Yea..naw.. I am not an attention whore, so no, I dont usually post pictures...but do I dive? Do I spearfish? REALLY? Can you READ???
Anyway..here is one for you;
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...5%2F8%22+bands

But PM me with details of your offer...
Old 12-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
jfjf

There's too few people left on this forum. Play nice and I'll try not to call people names.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
Chip's Ahoy

I watched the video twice and must say you scared the heck out of me blowing off your five minute safety stop, you could get hurt diving like that .
Chip's Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip's Ahoy View Post
I watched the video twice and must say you scared the heck out of me blowing off your five minute safety stop, you could get hurt diving like that .
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
sway21

Always enjoy your videos keep them coming I learn a lot from them. I thought all spearos shoot cobias off bullsharks and ride them around like ponies... at least that's what the interweb tells me.

Nothing wrong with calling a dive, way too many super hero divers out there that push the limits too often. I think with one bull shark you might have been OK but four is a lot to think about.

Were the sharks around when your friend shot the grouper? Or did they come in after?
Your friend have video footage of him getting the grouper?
sway21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
OBLIGATED

I have a healthy respect for Bull Sharks.When I was younger I had a C card.A lot of guys would get out of the water if sharks got frisky.Back then you could give them a powerhead to the noggin and get some Fish n Chips meat so I killed the aggressive ones and broke them down on the boat.I was trying to make a living so I had no choice.Good weather,bad weather I had to find something to bring home.
Now I dont push it.No fish is worth drowning for or getting bit by sharks or Morays.We get frisky sharks and we move.Four BIG BULLS in hazy water?NO!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway21 View Post
Always enjoy your videos keep them coming I learn a lot from them. I thought all spearos shoot cobias off bullsharks and ride them around like ponies... at least that's what the interweb tells me.

Nothing wrong with calling a dive, way too many super hero divers out there that push the limits too often. I think with one bull shark you might have been OK but four is a lot to think about.

Were the sharks around when your friend shot the grouper? Or did they come in after?
Your friend have video footage of him getting the grouper?
I don't think he saw any sharks in the immediate area when he pulled the trigger. By the time he ascended and I got dressed and back down there - it was probably 12 or 15 minutes - so lots of time for the sharks to sniff things out.

We don't have any more video of that aspect. I might put together a few clips of me shooting some small fish on that trip.

I've shot cobia from sharks while freediving. If you have a group of divers who work together and have a pretty well defined plan of action, we can get most of those cobia up. It seems to require multiple divers to run interference and provide back up and still, there are times when the sharks get too amped up and I will bail. I'm not so sure it is a smart thing to do anyway.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #14
Sea_Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Hey, thanks for talking shit, I may take you up on your offer tho.
As for posting pictures and reports,Yea..naw.. I am not an attention whore, so no, I dont usually post pictures...but do I dive? Do I spearfish? REALLY? Can you READ???
Anyway..here is one for you;
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...5%2F8%22+bands

But PM me with details of your offer...
I'm sorry for what I said.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #15
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
I'm sorry for what I said.
No Problem, We're Good.