Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #16
Grizzlestomp

Re: Mid-Handle, 2+ Band Blue-Water Roller Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
I will get back to this later , you don't know how to post pics off a phone do you, every time I try it won't do it .
I have the same problem with my phone. I'm no help.
Grizzlestomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #17
Fox55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlestomp View Post
I have the same problem with my phone. I'm no help.
I would guess your file on your phone is too large and it times out try turning your resolution down
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #18
Grizzlestomp

Regarding compound rollers, I noticed some people "invert" their bands (i.e. on the Alemmanni it is an option). I.e. they have larger diameter bands on the bottom of the gun with smaller diameter bands on top of the gun. Supposedly to reduce recoil.

To me this sounds counter-intuitive. If you have two split bands on the bottom of a gun and one on top, it seems the same diameter band should be used, or even a thicker one on top. Otherwise, it seems like the top band will be stretched far more than either of the bottom bands.

Anyone have any experience using different diameter bands in a compound roller?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original_3-e8cb63192d52fcd52eac0d06d9bce61b.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	226434  
Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #19
jstiver09

On that inverted roller ^^ spectra goes back to the sharkfins, not bands...leaving for a cleaner sight picture and less drag through the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #20
Grizzlestomp

I think it's just a matter of labels. Their gun with the pullies they call "Demultiplied" at least in the English translation of their website, as in the 130 Vela in the first picture below with the pulleys.

They also offer a version of their traditional compound roller where they offer different band diameters for the single bands that stretch to the sharkfins and the split bands on the bottom. See second picture (my buddy's 130 was configured with 14mm front bands and 16mm back bands).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original_vela_130_1-c32e5acb3a140d1dbbdb9a6e155e24ed.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	226435   Click image for larger version

Name:	original_3-e8cb63192d52fcd52eac0d06d9bce61b.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	226436  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #21
jstiver09

Mid-Handle, 2+ Band Blue-Water Roller Build

I see that now. I always thought "inverted" rollers had bands on bottom with long wishbones on top.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
gspearguns

Inverted means that bands are stretching in opposite direction than on the classic spearguns.
Inverted bands with reduction from two to one band has thin dyneema rope (0.9-1.2 mm) through that single band to limit it's streching to some particular coeficient, for example 350%. Without that single band would be more stretched that double bands.
It can be used one to two bands of same diameter but usually it is one smaller OD to two pieces of bands with larger OD. I used to make inverted band with 14 mm to two 16 or 18 mm bands, usually softer.
For single band do not use small ID because rope need space when contracting.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...ight=gladiator
gspearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #23
Grizzlestomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspearguns View Post
Inverted means that bands are stretching in opposite direction than on the classic spearguns.
Inverted bands with reduction from two to one band has thin dyneema rope (0.9-1.2 mm) through that single band to limit it's streching to some particular coeficient, for example 350%. Without that single band would be more stretched that double bands.
It can be used one to two bands of same diameter but usually it is one smaller OD to two pieces of bands with larger OD. I used to make inverted band with 14 mm to two 16 or 18 mm bands, usually softer.

Genius. That way the top band can be small outer diameter and keep a clean line of sight but not be overstretched and lose its power/wear out quickly. I like that idea a lot.

When you use this setup, what would the load order be. Would you release one of the split bottom bands, load the top band, then reload the split bottom band? Or would you need to release both bottom bands before loading the top band?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #24
jstiver09

Gspearguns, thank you for the education. Your guns seem very well designed, both rollers and standard setups. Do you see a noticeable increase in power in your roller guns vs say a 2 or 3 banded conventional gun? I think you may be more qualified than others to make that judgement. Do you see an improvement using small ID bands with both types of guns?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #25
gspearguns

Quote:
Genius. That way the top band can be small outer diameter and keep a clean line of sight but not be overstretched and lose its power/wear out quickly. I like that idea a lot.

When you use this setup, what would the load order be. Would you release one of the split bottom bands, load the top band, then reload the split bottom band? Or would you need to release both bottom bands before loading the top band?
Like on every other rollergun bands stays pretensioned after shot and you have to release one of the bottom bands prior to loading the gun. It's impossible to load a gun with both pairs od bottom bands catched. Order of loading is top band then second bottom band which was released.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #26
gspearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Gspearguns, thank you for the education. Your guns seem very well designed, both rollers and standard setups. Do you see a noticeable increase in power in your roller guns vs say a 2 or 3 banded conventional gun? I think you may be more qualified than others to make that judgement. Do you see an improvement using small ID bands with both types of guns?

Increasing of power is significant. For example, mono roller 90 with double bottom bands and 7 mm shaft have power as 2 band classic 110 speargun.
Moveable pulley roller 110 with three bottom band pairs (every band is 23-24 cm long) and 8 mm (or 8,5) have more power than classic 130 gun with 3 x 16 mm bands. That shaft reach 5 m from the tip in less than 0.2 seconds.
Recoil is much, much smaller and because of that accuracy is better.. Whole gun is smaller and easy to move.

Last edited by gspearguns; 05-27-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Grizzlestomp

Quote:

Would you recommend something like this to run inside the 14mm top band?

http://www.spearamerica.com/speargun...-25mm-50m.html
Old 06-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #28
Behslayer

Mr. G, are simple 2 stage Rollers outdated? I haven't made one in a while, but I was considering it. How would a simple 2 stage Double roller using 2 continuos 16mm bands compare in power and range to these more complex systems?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
gspearguns

Quote:
Would you recommend something like this to run inside the 14mm top band?

http://www.spearamerica.com/speargun...-25mm-50m.html
It's ok, but I preffer 1 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Mr. G, are simple 2 stage Rollers outdated? I haven't made one in a while, but I was considering it. How would a simple 2 stage Double roller using 2 continuos 16mm bands compare in power and range to these more complex systems?
Not outdated but these 'more complex system' as you named it shows better performances. If you build classic double rollergun you could still make invert bands. Recoil is even less than on continous bands. You could make one continous and one double invert band. That's 3 stages loading instead 2 you have mentioned but give more power espetially with thicker shafts.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #30
Grizzlestomp

Quote:

Quick question on how to rig up the top band with 1mm line inside. I assume you the pull the line through with a wire or something and push the extra line inside the band. Then tie the knots with constrictor cords and leave looped wishbones. My only question is whether loops for removable wishbones made up of only 1mm line is strong enough to handle the forces involved in loading these guns.