Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
seaspearo

Spearfishing buddy needed Algarve, Portugal, Oct 2018

I will been in Vilamoura, Portugal from Oct 4 to 23. I had been diving in Northern California and Mexico for past twenty years, very experienced cold water freediver. I will try to bring some gears, also plan to buy some like speargun from Scubastore.com Any suggestion what size of the gun to buy? 75cm or 90cm. I have a car there and plan to dive as many days as possible, both shore dive or boat dive.​
If you ever come to San Francisco, I will definitely return the favor. I have a 14 feet inflatable, kayak and know the water here very well.​

Thanks!

Victor
seaspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Spearfishing buddy needed Algarve, Portugal, Oct 2018

Victor,

I am from the north of Spain and I am just back from my vacation. I drove my van all the way from Bilbao to Portugal (Atlantic coast, Alentejo) and then drove south to the Algarve.

I had been there before. Mi experience (shared by local and spanish spearos) is the following:

Atlantic/west coast: Rough seas, dirty water. You will usuall y be fishing in the waves, with 2-3m visibility shooting breams (sargos) and sea bass (lubinas). For this trip I took a 100 and 82cm guns. I used the 82cm gun exclusively. The 100 could have come handy if someone had taken me on a boat, to deeper, cleaner waters for stalking.

Soutch coast (Algarve): Much cleaner waters, but you may find strong currents AND the boats are a real problem. Maybe not so much in october, but they definitely are something to consider during the summer months. The scennery is great, sea caves, cliffs, nice beaches, lots of string bikinis... BUT I don't think you will be fishing much if you don't get on a boat.

Regarding which size to buy. I would suggest you stick to two sizes. A 82-86cm single band gun for dirty water and 100-105 for clearer waters (strong single band or two thinner bands). That should be plenty.

Scubastore works fine BUT make sure to order your stuff in advance. Sometimes they show something as IN STOCK, but the truth is that they don't really have it. It is in the manufacturer's warehouse and need to receive it first. It happened to me twice.

So again, order WELL IN ADVANCE.

Also, do things RIGHT and get your fishing license for portugal in advance as well. You can do everything online and only requires payment, no need to attach any insurance receip, or medical certification or anything. If you need any more directions about HOW to do it, just let me know!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
seaspearo

Re: Spearfishing buddy needed Algarve, Portugal, Oct 2018

Hi Mikel
Thanks for your information! I will get a 82 or 90 cm gun. Can you tell me how to get a fishing license online? I heard need to go to port authority office to get it.

Thanks!

Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Victor,

I am from the north of Spain and I am just back from my vacation. I drove my van all the way from Bilbao to Portugal (Atlantic coast, Alentejo) and then drove south to the Algarve.

I had been there before. Mi experience (shared by local and spanish spearos) is the following:

Atlantic/west coast: Rough seas, dirty water. You will usuall y be fishing in the waves, with 2-3m visibility shooting breams (sargos) and sea bass (lubinas). For this trip I took a 100 and 82cm guns. I used the 82cm gun exclusively. The 100 could have come handy if someone had taken me on a boat, to deeper, cleaner waters for stalking.

Soutch coast (Algarve): Much cleaner waters, but you may find strong currents AND the boats are a real problem. Maybe not so much in october, but they definitely are something to consider during the summer months. The scennery is great, sea caves, cliffs, nice beaches, lots of string bikinis... BUT I don't think you will be fishing much if you don't get on a boat.

Regarding which size to buy. I would suggest you stick to two sizes. A 82-86cm single band gun for dirty water and 100-105 for clearer waters (strong single band or two thinner bands). That should be plenty.

Scubastore works fine BUT make sure to order your stuff in advance. Sometimes they show something as IN STOCK, but the truth is that they don't really have it. It is in the manufacturer's warehouse and need to receive it first. It happened to me twice.

So again, order WELL IN ADVANCE.

Also, do things RIGHT and get your fishing license for portugal in advance as well. You can do everything online and only requires payment, no need to attach any insurance receip, or medical certification or anything. If you need any more directions about HOW to do it, just let me know!

Mikel
seaspearo is offline   Reply With Quote