Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 08-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Danimal6513

Water in ears.

Whenever I totally invert my head while underwater, my ears flood. It's not a ton, and I can shake it out on the surface but i was wondering if this was normal or if I have something weird going on. I can equalize just fine. It's never been a huge deal, but it's annoying when trying to check under shelves from behind them, and i'm trying to work on my freediving form by streamlining as I swim down instead of looking at the bottom the whole time. Is this just a feeling I just have to get used to?
Danimal6513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Alec

Re: Water in ears.

This happens to me... after 2-3 straight days of hard diving they will eventually clog up and I can't equalize. My ENT doctor prescribed me some steroids to take a couple days before I dive but still haven't found a permanent solution. I'm all ears to anyone that's had these issues and fixed them.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I found that that one drop of super high quality tea tree oil did wonders for my ears day to day diving....its like a little bit of heaven or something
Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
SeaWolf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I found that that one drop of super high quality tea tree oil did wonders for my ears day to day diving....its like a little bit of heaven or something
What does the oil do Tony? I have a bottle here of great stuff and have had similar problems with my ears including a ruptured ear drum following an infection.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
SeaWolf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

The oil does magic and then some.....thats all I have to say about that.

But a few years ago I was lead underwater videographer for a huge multimillion dollar treasure documentary...it was in the shittiest and worst conditions it could have been (Japanese dont know how or when to treasure dive shhhh)

Between the neti pot on the boat and the tea tree oil in the ears and the 12 pack of caprise sun pouches i bought down to drink on the bottom....the documentary would not have happened. Even tho we were doing shallow 4-30 foot dives...it saved us period.

There will be people telling on hereme Im wrong and that I should not tell you to put anything other then a doc recommended drop in my ear. (and for the most part, from a family of RN Dr and PHD i would 100% agree) But if I'm lying I'm dying...there was an old-skool commerical diver named Ray that used a mix of rubbing acho, peroxide and a few other fudged up chems i dont wanna mention, that still couldn't fix his ear issue after the whole boat got sick....I pulled out the tea tree, and gave him one drop at night, one drop in the am, and he was back to his antics ....

Old 08-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
SeaWolf83

Quote:
The oil does magic and then some.....thats all I have to say about that.

But a few years ago I was lead underwater videographer for a huge multimillion dollar treasure documentary...it was in the shittiest and worst conditions it could have been (Japanese dont know how or when to treasure dive shhhh)

Between the neti pot on the boat and the tea tree oil in the ears and the 12 pack of caprise sun pouches i bought down to drink on the bottom....the documentary would not have happened. Even tho we were doing shallow 4-30 foot dives...it saved us period.

There will be people telling on hereme Im wrong and that I should not tell you to put anything other then a doc recommended drop in my ear. (and for the most part, from a family of RN Dr and PHD i would 100% agree) But if I'm lying I'm dying...there was an old-skool commerical diver named Ray that used a mix of rubbing acho, peroxide and a few other fudged up chems i dont wanna mention, that still couldn't fix his ear issue after the whole boat got sick....I pulled out the tea tree, and gave him one drop at night, one drop in the am, and he was back to his antics ....

http://youtu.be/hStq-fE1V0o
Thanks. It's a feaking miracle oil as it is for a number of things. I'll give it a shot.

Video was hilarious.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Something about being unable to patent a plant (ie mj) that makes it a threat to big pharma. I just make sure to buy quality filtered blah blah premium blah.

Between that one kooks and me, the boat was FULL of messed up stuff. There is a thread on it somewhere around here. I was looking at the 200GB drive of it the other day and got all nostalgic n shit... It was great...one of our guys got sick so we made him a rice krispy cake....he ate it all in one setting...Clint...aka Cleatus (and anything that rhymed with every swear in the book) was the human vacuum cleaner...kid would eat the house out and move on to the neighbors ...

He was also called Princess Swami because he is also a yogi master.....it was easy to write in icing too. He had a head light on in this pic because it was late and no one wanted to go 'hand pump' the shit tank, and he was new guy ....I helped him in the AC vent so he could work his way to that part of the boat....He popped out of another hole out and we gave him a cake.. You cant ever say Im not a nice guy

Last edited by kwtony; 08-17-2015 at 05:38 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:43 AM   #8
SeaWolf83

Quote:
Something about being unable to patent a plant (ie mj) that makes it a threat to big pharma. I just make sure to buy quality filtered blah blah premium blah.

Between that one kooks and me, the boat was FULL of messed up stuff. There is a thread on it somewhere around here. I was looking at the 200GB drive of it the other day and got all nostalgic n shit... It was great...one of our guys got sick so we made him a rice krispy cake....he ate it all in one setting...Clint...aka Cleatus (and anything that rhymed with every swear in the book) was the human vacuum cleaner...kid would eat the house out and move on to the neighbors ...

He was also called Princess Swami because he is also a yogi master.....it was easy to write in icing too. He had a head light on in this pic because it was late and no one wanted to go 'hand pump' the shit tank, and he was new guy ....I helped him in the AC vent so he could work his way to that part of the boat....He popped out of another hole out and we gave him a cake.. You cant ever say Im not a nice guy

Looks like great times man. Good way to make a living.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
9x19MdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal6513 View Post
Whenever I totally invert my head while underwater, my ears flood. It's not a ton, and I can shake it out on the surface but i was wondering if this was normal or if I have something weird going on. I can equalize just fine. It's never been a huge deal, but it's annoying when trying to check under shelves from behind them, and i'm trying to work on my freediving form by streamlining as I swim down instead of looking at the bottom the whole time. Is this just a feeling I just have to get used to?
You might want to give these a try.
https://www.proplugs.com/index.shtml

I use them to help me equalize but they cut down or prevent water entering the ear canal.

When I was looking for the link above I found this style.
http://www.sportdiver.com/article/ne...ented-earplugs

I may try these since they look like they may be a little easier to insert.
9x19MdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf83 View Post
Looks like great times man. Good way to make a living.
we were all nearly so poor that we had to live on the boat in terrible slave like condition....no seriously, poor we all traded beer money for wallmart gift cards and were able to eat...might have been fritos and honey buns..but it was food....

So po i used a go pro 2 and a busted ass nex5....pvc handles and zip tied it to my head when I had to actually help dig..

BUT the footage over double the expectations of the Japanese studio TBS, they said something around 20 million views in the first month. And people say a go pro 4 isnt good enough for them
Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
rgs

I have the same issue, and in the past if I dove more than 5-6 days in a row then I would end up with an ear infection, and have to get to a clinic or MD/PA/LPN and pony up for the prescription CiproDex ear drops ($$$) (it does clear things up fast though)

Now, I use Docs pro plugs, I can still equalize well and hear spear guns go off under water/converse with divers on the surface for safety, and combined with an over the counter "swimmers ear" drop that is just Alcohol I have thankfully avoided the ear infection issues, but Im going to try the Tea Tree Oil...Im not surprised that works, prob better than the ETOH...
rgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

If you are prone to getting ear infections like I am this helps me.

I get the swimmers ear that you can get at walgreens cvs and a dump out half of it, and then fill other half up with vinegar. I use that in both my ears every time I get out of pool or ocean. The problem I had for a long time was remembering to use it because I'm forgetful.

I finally found a solution so that even I can remember to use it. I put the drops in my mask box so every time I put the mask in my the box I see the drops and am reminded to use it. I have never get a ear infection if I remember to do this. Earlier this year I ran out and didn't put a new one my mask box and got an ear because I wasn't using it.

Hope this helps.

Ted Harty
PFI Freediving courses in South Florida.
US Men's Freediving Record Holder
2012 Captain for USA Freediving Team
See courses in action on my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ImmersionFD

Immersion Freediving
Why choose Immersion Freediving
Speargun training sessions
954-324-4444
ImmersionFD is offline   Reply With Quote