Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 11-30-2002, 09:28 AM   #16
Steel Shootin'

Re: Reliable?

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottCarullo
I've used a computer for several years... If everything was as reliable as it I'd be fearless. Never even a hickup. I'm not saying you can't have a problem, but what piece or gear is isn't prone to a problem. Bands, powerheads/speartips, regulators, hoses, bc's fins, masks etc the list goes on.

I received the same advice when recently shopping for a new nitrox computer and decided to go with the AI Suunto Cobra without a backup. Any responsible diver who regularly checks the status of his guages can pretty much avoid the oops, my guage is broken and I'm all out of air scenario in my opinion.

The advantages, in my opinion, outweight the risks. Either way you have to check, you just don't breathe until you can't suck any more... you must look at your gauges while you dive. If I happen to look at my computer and its 'dead' - just surface. Stop about 15 feet and sit there until you use up your air supply. Most avid divers/underwater hunters in open water probably use Nitrox anyway. If you look at the time available in the tables with Nitrox you will se that almost always you will run out of air prior to running out of time.

One last comment about the Cobra... Someone mentioned that it shows the O2 & N2 loading graphs on seperate screens. True, but it shows the one thats limiting your dive profile on the main screen so it really doesn't matter does it?

Non-electronic gauges malfunction too... see them mis-read all the time. I saw one earlier in the week that added about 1000lbs to an empty tank If it can crap out either way you might as well get the most out of it while it works.

Scott - my 2 cents (maybe four)
Scott,

I agree with your points on the Cobra. I did over 50 dives on mine before I went redundant and got the Vytec to go along with it. However, with the Cobra being connected to the HP (not a wireless receiver), I never felt that diving only with that computer was a safety issue. If you look down at depth and it has shut off, turn the dive.

The reason I went redundant was more of a concern that it would quit and I would be the boat bitch for the afternoon, not a roll that I would embrace. Now, if my primary computer was the hoseless AI Vytec, I would always have some reduncancy during the dive. Maybe just a simple SPG. I'd be concerned about it getting stuck on 1000 PSI or something, due to loss of signal (although it is designed to tell you "loss of signal").

Fair point on the O2 exposure and nitrogen loading screens. Plus, you can toggle back and forth during the dive if you wanted to (you either push the "plan" or the "time" button). I was just making the observation that I liked the layout of some other computers that had both. The only other knock on the Cobra is that it can be a little tougher to read at depth than some of the others. The graphs, for example, are not as easy to see as on many other models.

Nonetheless, I have no complaints with Suunto, and I think they use the best software (algorythms) in the business. I don't mind it being a little more conservative.

Scott
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:02 AM   #17
SpearDiverTampa
Controversial User

Send a message via AIM to SpearDiverTampa
Last Question

Thanks alot for all the feedback. I am caught between two models, the cobra and the suunto stinger. The stinger is the model that is a watch, and is everything but air intigrated. What do you guys think? Also, have you ever had a need to use your warrenties? Because if not, i will pay half retail at leisure pro, even though they are not authorised dealers.Thanks alot,

Chris
SpearDiverTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:42 AM   #18
swimndive

If you are interested in a watch sized computer, then check out the new nitek plus from diverite. It's basicly a two gas stinger, running buhlmann software, and backed by a local florida company. ed
swimndive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:55 PM   #19
BobK

i have a Suunto Cobra also. But I carry a backup depth gauge in my BC. If the computer fails, it's tough to eyeball 15 feet :-)
Old 12-05-2002, 12:38 AM   #20
ScottCarullo

Hey Chris....

If you want to get even a better deal than LP try eBay... You can get a cobra (saw two new ones last week) for about $395.

The cobra with the compass already attached goes for about $435 on there.

I just purchased one last week there... a reasonably new (about 6 months old) cobra computer that came with a scubapro MK25/S600 reg package for $700. I'm keeping my other set for my wife, hopefully she will enjoy it - need someone to haul the catch around so the sharks won't get me

Scott
ScottCarullo is offline   Reply With Quote