Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
jadairiii

Re: Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Carney View Post
There are worse inlets in FL. but Hillsboro Inlet ...
Chad
You got that right, Boca, SI and Jupiter come to mind!
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
anthropisces

Re: Sad Thanksgiving Day news: Woman dies after dive boat capsizes off Fla. coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadairiii View Post
You got that right, Boca, SI and Jupiter come to mind!
Put Boynton at the front
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Wow, really sad stuff, i would have guessed the problem was some ass in a sportfisher and not a "rouge" wave. I wonder if they didn't see the monster crest coming or it was so big that they couldn't ride it over... A stuff is easy if your not paying attention (not saying that's the case because i have no idea) but at the same time rolling over those monsters is pretty easy if you are paying attention.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
underdogII

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropisces View Post
Put Boynton at the front
Kidding right? You guys got the Bahamas blocking the swells most of the time.
SLI is one of the top, maybe SI.They are open to the east nor east to Africa. Ran SLI for 40 years and it gets nasty with a north east swell. You have to be able to read sets and then commit, no turning back till well outside.
underdogII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
sdncdiver

A sad story. Here is an article with information on the woman diver who died.

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-woman-d...112843586.html
sdncdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #21
anthropisces

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdogII View Post
Kidding right? You guys got the Bahamas blocking the swells most of the time.
SLI is one of the top, maybe SI.They are open to the east nor east to Africa. Ran SLI for 40 years and it gets nasty with a north east swell. You have to be able to read sets and then commit, no turning back till well outside.
Not kidding. The inlet has claimed a lot of lives. It is very narrow and has no boulders to absorb wave energy.

On a big north swell the place is on par with Monster Hole.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
FEEL da STEEL->
Chad

All of the inlets mentioned can be treacherous at times. Each has a specific personality. All of these inlets can humble even the most experienced. The way Jupiter & Boynton break all the way across the inlet, Sebastian's standing wave & monster hole, it takes a lifetime to learn all of her different faces....& u better learn or she will break out her stick & learn ya!

Condolences......
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Mind Games

Well said.

This brings up an important point.

I have been on this very boat a handful of times and I remember making a comment to my dive buddy "I have more horsepower on my 28ft boat than this big boat does". I understand catamarans don't need as much horsepower...but still, if the skipper needed more horsepower in this clutch situation...I doubt he had much reserve to rely on.

And the reason I have twin 250's on a 28ft boat isn't to go fast...all boats go fast on the waterway...but to get Mind Games in and out of inlets...nothing substitutes for horsepower when you need it...especially when you're weighed down with diving gear and crew.

RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEEL da STEEL-> View Post
All of the inlets mentioned can be treacherous at times. Each has a specific personality. All of these inlets can humble even the most experienced. The way Jupiter & Boynton break all the way across the inlet, Sebastian's standing wave & monster hole, it takes a lifetime to learn all of her different faces....& u better learn or she will break out her stick & learn ya!

Condolences......
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
DiveGal
Today's the day!

This is so sad. I've dove off the Coral Princess many times with my youth group. We have a rule when diving with the kids. If the seas are over 4', we don't go. Since my accident (which occurred on a FLAT day), I've put this rule at the top of my private list, too. I know, wuss-wuss. But a LIVE wuss-wuss!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 7th wave of a set usually the biggest wave? I heard that and started counting them when out and it seems to hold true a lot of the times.

RIP and prayers to the family.