Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #2581
R.Boonfield

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Orca, thanks for the report - was it fishy at those depths?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #2582
orcawealth

that was the issue not so much. we got a bunch of good size mangrove snapper 4 hogs and a keeper grouper. didn't see as much fish as I was hoping. been my experience that when the viz is good maybe the fish see a little better too...
orcawealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #2583
grock

Out of JP nearly due west Friday. 65 fsw the bottom can be seen 15' down. Bottom temp 82º. Pretty fishy lots of large trigger fish and yellow and french angel fish. Greeted by a large goliath who came out to say hello. Large mangos. Some current and a little spooky with the large clouds slowly making it dark then light. Shot 3 nice hogfish skipping the just keepers in anticipation of the size change to 14".

Second dive in 58 fsw clear then hazy until the last 24' then 25' or so of horizontal viz. Bottom temp 82º. Similar fish with good size mangos flashing around. Tropicals again some ajs. Again skipped the smaller keepers and patiently waited for the bigger male to round out my limit.

Interestingly with the current there were no hogfish of any size on the break. They all came on the top surface of the table top among the sea fans etc

grock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #2584
grey2112

10-15 viz yesterday in 50-60 fsw west of NPR. Skittish gags, did OK with hogs and mangos. Also caught some macks and bonita up top on hook and line. Oh, and had my first Pasco county pole-dancer on board - ROFL.

grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #2585
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Time to learn to freedive:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	234123  
Old 06-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #2586
Reef_Ranger

10-12' viz in 35-45' 6.5 miles West of Longboat pass. Should steadily improve through the weekend.
Water temp 85deg. Very few fish over 8-10".
Wasn't fishing but doing a survey of new material going down.
Reef_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #2587
rowow

Dived the gandry bridge, vis was under 5ft. Anyone know a good time during the summer for vis inside the bay?
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #2588
fishkillapro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
Dived the gandry bridge, vis was under 5ft. Anyone know a good time during the summer for vis inside the bay?
Watch out for bull sharks
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #2589
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
Watch out for bull sharks
I hear everyone saying that, but ive never seen one, nor heard of any attacks or even actual confirmed sights. Ive seen far more sharks 15ft and larger 50ft from populated beaches on the east coast then in Tampa bay. Ill obviously be careful, and to be honest i'm scared each time I enter the water, but has anyone actually spotted them?

But thats why I like to go during good visibility, so a shark wont be up my ass by the time I see it. Do you know anyone or anywhere I can check for frequent visibility reports? I live in kissimmee so its a 2 hour drive, and with no reliable source of vis reports its basically a hit and miss.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #2590
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner

Quote:
Anyone know a good time during the summer for vis inside the bay?
Yeah, winter.

Seriously though, some times it just seems to clear up for no apparent reason about this time of year, but usually summer is bad vis in the Bay. Summer vis does usually improve a couple days after a lot of rain. My guess is the fresh water and tannin that's washed in kill off the algae. On those days, you typically see 10' vis in stained water.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #2591
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinmatt View Post
Yeah, winter.

Seriously though, some times it just seems to clear up for no apparent reason about this time of year, but usually summer is bad vis in the Bay. Summer vis does usually improve a couple days after a lot of rain. My guess is the fresh water and tannin that's washed in kill off the algae. On those days, you typically see 10' vis in stained water.
Thank you! I thought it was the opposite, that due to the rain it brings all the sludge and dirt with it into the bay. Ive heard so much contradictory information I dont know whats right anymore... Ill make a separate thread discussing about this because ive heard so many people say two separate things. Not saying your wrong, I actually think you're right as its been clearer right after a rain, but I dont know. Thanks for the tip though, ill try out on the next rain and see how it goes.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #2592
Basskrieg

27June2017- 25 miles West of Longboat Key, 65' of water, vis was nice, 20-30 horizontal, temp was 86 on the bottom, got some mangos, hogs, and saw plenty of skittish legal gags.

Windfinder said waves were gonna be .7-.5 all day. It was like 1.5-2' in the am, and 1'ish the rest of the day.

Last edited by Basskrieg; 06-28-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #2593
orcawealth

went out Tuesday and Wednesday 10 miles out anclote 35 feet freediving. tues the fiz was 5-7 feet in the evening just awful next day in the morning was top to bottom....go figure. its like the lottery diving in the gulf. both days not very fishy.
orcawealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #2594
Reef_Ranger

Sunday July 2nd: 7miles West of Anna Maria in 40-45fsw
Horizontal vis was 12' at most. Legal fish were scarce.
Water temp 85 deg.
Reef_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #2595
Russell stalk

Sunday out of Hernando beach 20 miles out... viz was crystal clear from the boat! 30-35' of viz. We had no problem finding structure and didn't even need the bottom machine! It hazed up throughout the day to 20' by noon... 3 gags, 7 mangos, 1 hog and 1 Spanish mackerel! Had a jewfish grab my buddy's hand while trying to wrangle his gag. Minor scratches luckily... I swear he was trained by a ninja! He was always there every where we went! Headed back in to homosassa for scallops... got 6 gallons by 3:30. Great day!
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote