Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 04-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Mighty KC

carrying a powerhead while freediving

Hello all,

I have been diving for many years and have never carried a powerhead, bangstick, ppd or any of that. I new guys who took them on scuba trips, they had them on a short pole and held it in one hand and the gun in the other, totally impractical for freediving. I have seen sharks over the years, even had them take my fish, but I have never gave the powerhead any thought till my son started diving with me. (I guess its the overprotective father thing) I thought about the ppd sold by Ray Odor, but most of the sharks that I see show up after I have pulled the trigger. (kind of like a dinner bell). Any suggestions? I would rather carry it on a pole, but I need some way to attach it to me to keep my hands free.

Thanks KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
sbh

Re: carrying a powerhead while freediving

I've never used a ph (I've carried the slip on variety but never had to use one) but how about one of those break down sticks that fold up and can quickly be folded out/articulated to full length. I think I've seen pics w/ terry maas carrying one of these on his belt. I have a three yo who has started freediving in the pool holding my hand, so I've thought of this for the future as well. Another thought was the shark shield worn on me...problem arrises if your not right next to him though. Let us know what you come up with!
Brent
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
SeaWeed
Naturally Aspirated

If you have a wood gun or a rectangular-tubed metal gun you can mount one of rays kill spikes on your gun and put one of his PPD's on it.
SeaWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

I have a slip on but don't carry it anymore, if I see a big shark coming at me i wanna keep my eyes on it and gun pointed at it the whole time instead of getting out a ppd and trying to put it on my tip. I figure a shaft in the head will keep him from F'ing w/ me for a few minutes so I can get out.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Ray Odor

K C, I think the Kill Spike would be your best bet, with a loaded,sealed in a plastic bag, PPD in your pocket. That way, if a shark comes around after the fish you just speared, you could fend him off with the kill spike or slide on your ppd and really get rid of him.
Ray

RAY ODOR
Would make a great PRESIDENT
However
He would rather see that you get the shaft
www,spearfishing.cc 813-971-3368
Old 04-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Mighty KC

Ray. the only problem with the kill spike is that I dont use wood guns. I use rear handle arbalete type spearguns (Roballen, Omer, Picasso, Sporasub) and a kill spike wont fit on them. Will your ppd's fit on a 7mm shaft? can you fire the shaft with the ppd on it? some of the old spring type powerheads would go off before it made contact woth the fish if fired on a speargun shaft.

thanks, Keith
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
Ray Odor

I make a plastic bushing with "O" rings on the O/S and drilled out to fit the 7mm. I ger $5.00 extra for the bushing.
Ray