Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Greg4339

Spearfishing Travel Advice Sought

I'm 11 months away from retirement and I'm super stoked about it! I intend on spending my first few months traveling to spearfishing locations mainly and just enjoying the sport I do not do frequently enough.

I'm looking for some advice on places to go during the fall and early winter next year. I spend 90% of my time spearfishing in La Paz w/Palapas Ventana and Baja Adventure Company so i'm pretty dialed in on Southern Baja. I've been to Panama once ("Hooked on Panama Lodge") and the Channel Islands off California a couple of times. Other than that, I'm pretty clueless about other places.

If you have some thoughts and ideas, I'd love to hear them. If you're comfortable being specific (what is the name of the company? what is the name of the good guides? where is a good place to stay?), I would greatly appreciate that as well. I'm also open to advice on spearfishing travel guides and/or companies that organize trips. I'm fortunate enough to not be restricted economically, so I can go pretty much wherever I want. I'm not married, so I can pretty much go wherever I want...

Thank you much!
Greg4339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Spearfishing Travel Advice Sought

Here's a great deal for ya!

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=199349

I hear GREAT things about that area...

"WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?"
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

If you havent tried a florida keys trip you definitely should. An absolutely awesome guide who goes out of palm beach or the keys depending on the time of year is Chad Palin with killshot spearfishing charters. If you get down to the keys you should also do a wahoo day or two with JP (Castronova on spearboard) who has started doing wahoo charters.

Winter is nice down here with water temps from 70-72 degrees. Weather can be iffy but you can usually get out often if you can stand a little bouncing around.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:37 AM   #4
hydroid

Have you thought about going after Dogtooth Tuna over here in the South Pacific? I am hoping to make a trip to Bali next year if possible. I would like to do a live aboard for a few days when I go.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
Mantarrayo

Come to Baja, theres simply no other place like it! Fly into la Paz in Baja Sur, then head South to la Ventana. Lil town has great reef & bluewater spearfishing! Or while in la Paz, contact one of the local spear charters that take you to Bahía Magdalena. Or, rent a car and go North of la Paz, follow the coastal roads and get to Loreto area for yellowtail season. A lot to do right here amigo!
Mantarrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Greg4339

Thanks all for that input:

SEATUX: I've never been that far up north in baja. San Evaristo is the farthest north I've been and the spot was great. Thanks for that!

SEA ARCHER: I like the input for stateside locations. There are a lot of great places to go right here. I checked out Killshot Spearfishing Charters. They don't have a website but they have 45 5-star reviews on Trip Advisor. Enough said there!

HYDROID: I've watched a lot of dog tooth tuna spearfishing videos and they are a trip! Super hot fish, can be frustrating and challenging, and they've taken a lot of good gear in their day. Thanks; that's a good tip.

MANTARRAYO: I'm headed to La Ventana in 4 weeks to fish with Palapas Ventana. Great outfit; I always have a blast! I'll always go back to baja. It will be my main place to go. But, I'm looking to spread my wings a little bit too..

Thanks all!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Mantarrayo

"MANTARRAYO: I'm headed to La Ventana in 4 weeks to fish with Palapas Ventana. Great outfit; I always have a blast! I'll always go back to baja. It will be my main place to go. But, I'm looking to spread my wings a little bit too..

A friend of mine, Pepe Urbalejo, has a spearfishing charter with outposts in remote areas of Baja. He has a damn beachfront palapa in the middle of nowhere in Mag Bay, runs his own boats and the striped marlin run is about to begin amigo! Good luck!!

Instagram = @baja_azul
Mantarrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Greg4339

Thanks! I've heard of him and I believe I've seen his videos before.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
Have you thought about going after Dogtooth Tuna over here in the South Pacific? I am hoping to make a trip to Bali next year if possible. I would like to do a live aboard for a few days when I go.
I second this. This would be my first choice. And hydroid message me if you find out about liveaboard trips. I think every day about getting back out there.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote