Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #1
MarkD

Question Need Advice on Dive Knives

I have a small, blunt knife that I carry but now that I getting into spearfishing I need a pointed kill knife. I know there are a large number of choices so I am hoping you guys can give me a few suggestions to narrow down the field. Looking for something to strap to my leg. Should I go with titanium or stainless? Cost is not a big issue, looking to spend between $50 and $100.

I am heading to the Bahamas this weekend for some diving fun so I won't respond until Monday. Looking forward to see what suggestions you have when I return.

I was thinking of buying one through Mac's, to support their effort to bring Kevin in for the seminar. If you know what they carry that might help too.

Thanks in advance, Mark
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:33 AM   #2
swathdiver
Conservative

Send a message via ICQ to swathdiver Send a message via AIM to swathdiver Send a message via Yahoo to swathdiver
I used my navy mk3 for years until I left it on the bottom. I like the Deep Sea knife that's double edged and pointed tip, very easy to completely disassemble for cleaning and a decent sheath. I was in dive retail for years and except for my mk3 that was my 2nd choice. It's also sold under many different names, Comp being another at Divers Direct. Do not like titanium as a wind up cutting myself way too often with them, too sharp! IMHO wearing them on your leg is for amatuers, on my chest upside down is the way to go. Mounted on my BCDs left strap very close to me in event of entanglement and upside down for easy and quick withdrawl
Old 11-07-2002, 08:40 AM   #3
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

Anybody use the Riffe knife...it's about $45. I'm thinking about buying one.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:43 AM   #4
dothanfrogman
Locker Room King

Send a message via Yahoo to dothanfrogman
I have an oceanmaster titanium double edge. We have a hover craft wreck up this way that has a thick rubber skirt on it, I have stuck a spear in it and the only way I could get it out was to borrow buddys knife which was same as above and it went through it like butter so had to have. $110.00
dothanfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:34 AM   #5
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

I just hate paying $100 for a knife that I could loose .
Old 11-07-2002, 11:48 AM   #6
frogman

Look at the OMER "Flat hunt" (about 57 bones). It is pointed and not too sharp. It has no plastic on the handle making it very...flat (duh). I like a low profile knife so that it does not get entangled. You can wear it upside down on your arm.
As far as the Riffe goes I heard it is a good knife but has crappy holster (as most of you guys know, a good, easy to use holster is just as important as the knife). Maybe somebody else may know better.
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:36 PM   #7
MarkD

Thanks for the advice guys. I currently have my short knife mounted on my BC, left shoulder. I will take a look at the ones you mentioned as a good starting point.

BTW, the diving in Freeport Bahamas was excellent. Huge grouper and snapper. Stuck my head under the port side of Theo's wreck (it lays on the port side in about 105') and came eye to eye with about a 35 pound grouper. My trigger finger was itching, but no shooting is allowed.

If you ever get a chance to go there, do it, great diving within 30 minute boat rides of the Xanadu dive center.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote