Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #46
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Re: AHH!! How do I know how big a Halibut is when it's burried!!!!!

Safties don't do a damn bit of good on a speargun if something in the mech breaks.

You can tell halibut size by how far apart the eyes are. It's one of those experience things - you look at enough hundreds of them and you'll start to get it.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #47
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

I think this thread got a little off topic. What Dave and others are trying to say I think, is that the safety is best utilized to check the legality of a halibut.
1. Measure safety.
2. Find Halibut
3. Lay gun on sleeping halibuts head, using the safety to gauge the size of its eye and determine if it is legal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	133211   Click image for larger version

Name:	butt2.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	133212  
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #48
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
The use of a safety on a weapon in no way precludes basic safety precautions,
but diving in the liquid environment, with other divers, moved about by currents and flows, moving among kelp, rocks, lines etc. where numerous objects could snag on a trigger causing an unexpected firing could be disastrous-
having that kind of attitude about a basic safety is about as intelligient as walking around with a colt 45 auto on your hip with the hammer back,
and using a gun that is faulty doesn't speak much for your IQ either

'Nuff sed
zeN
How much time do you spend hanging onto the skirt of mother diver when you are in the water??? I really don't spend much time within a 10ft proximity of other divers; and this includes dive meets where there are as many as 100 divers in the water. You can rest assured, successful divers are not swimming around with their safeties on. Fish are an awful lot different than a pig or deer out 100 yards. There is no time to monkey with a safety with fish like calico bass. Colt 45, hammer back; in the holster, with it strapped in??? Safe enough. Not to mention, it's got a rear handle safety that's not engaged unless you're squeezing the handle. I have yet to bother putting a safety onto a gun I build. But to be fair, I WILL admit that I leave the safety on my euro style guns.

I just epoxy them open, so I don't have any " I wish I wasn't like Zen with my safety on and fish gone" moments........

The difference between you, and Richard and I?? You can't argue with success. So quit arguing with us.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #49
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaholic View Post
Well all these replies are related. One of the ways to find out how big a flaty is (probably last option) is to spook it and shoot it on the fly. the only problem is his safety prevented him from being quick enough to put the shaft through the fish. So I told him to get that damn safety off, cause if he is going to be hunting for very long, this will not be the last incident he will have. Do you really think if you come up on a personal best calico bass 10 plus pounds that its just going to sit there while you monkey around with your safety.

You are hunting out there, you are not shooting targets. You need to be alert to all your surroundings and you need to be as quick, efficient, and deadly as you can be when your opportunity arrives.

but like I said, if you wanna keep using your safety and you feel that it makes you safer, than use it.
Actually, anyone Dufus enough to NEED their safety on is a real threat to me in the water, so I have to agree with you; keep the safety on, and in the safe position. You'll keep the fish safe, and I am gonna wing it and add other divers in that mix.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #50
diver pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Actually, anyone Dufus enough to NEED their safety on is a real threat to me in the water, so I have to agree with you; keep the safety on, and in the safe position. You'll keep the fish safe, and I am gonna wing it and add other divers in that mix.
That is the best idea I have heard yet!
diver pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #51
Wind_in_his_hair

"A danger foreseen is half-avoided." Cheyenne
Wind_in_his_hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #52
Fis_Hunter

There is a sharp A$$ tip on that thing which is a danger to anyone if it is loaded or not. If you are diving in conditions which are rough enough to make you want to put the safety on the gun should not be loaded. You should be worring about where the tip is and not weather the safety is on or off. A gun with a safety on when its butt is jammed against a rock and the water is forcing you or your buddy onto the tip is a serious issue.

If you like a safety great but know where the tip is pointed at all times keep it away from you and your friends.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #53
Tom Hall

And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. [John 8:32].
Tom Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #54
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_in_his_hair View Post
"A danger foreseen is half-avoided." Cheyenne
Those Cheyennes were really good with English.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #55
NPRelentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
I think this thread got a little off topic. What Dave and others are trying to say I think, is that the safety is best utilized to check the legality of a halibut.
1. Measure safety.
2. Find Halibut
3. Lay gun on sleeping halibuts head, using the safety to gauge the size of its eye and determine if it is legal
Classic!
NPRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #56
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fis_Hunter View Post
There is a sharp A$$ tip on that thing which is a danger to anyone if it is loaded or not.
Yup yup. SHARP!! I got stuck with my dad's slip-tip on my foot during my WSB scuffle (my fault). That was the 24th and its still not completely healed... It went down to the bone and scraped.

To each his own on the safety topic...

the fish like you with it on though
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #57
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonnell View Post
Yup yup. SHARP!! I got stuck with my dad's slip-tip on my foot during my WSB scuffle (my fault). That was the 24th and its still not completely healed... It went down to the bone and scraped.

To each his own on the safety topic...

the fish like you with it on though
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #58
SC Short Stick
Grill It!

this whole thread can be summed up by not being a dope with a sharp object in your hand....and halibut are difficult to spot, so good luck

SC Short Stick is offline   Reply With Quote