Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
florfreediver

Never Too Old to Learn Something New

Hi All,
Just returned from a trip to the Azores. More specifically the Island of Pico.

Lots to talk about but will start off with a post of some tips/tricks I picked up from a spearo by the name of Pedro Januário. who runs a charter fishing/diving business on the Island.

After close to 50 years of spearfishing, you think you have learnt all the tricks possible. Not so! Probably a lot of you will know these but I did not, so excuse me if it is old hat to you.

Handling Triggerfish.
I was mentoring my grandson (12 years old) helping him load the RA 100 and handling fish with him. Josh (grandson) inisisted on shooitng some Triggers that were pestering my Flasher.
Pedro was watching me try to kill the bloody things before getting bitten. (I got bit twice) He took my knife, turned it sideways and stuck it into the Triggers mouth and toggled it side to side. This effectively cut the Triggers mouth muscles and tendons and it was rendered helpless. So simple!

Killing fish.
Typically I stab from top down (between eyes and slightly forward and hope to penetrate brain. I do not always get it right first time. Pedro showed me how to kill the fish by going up through the gill opening, and pushing the knife upwards and forwards and watching the eyes to judge the killing action. More practical.

Dealing with open cell suit.
My grandson had a open cell suit that was reasonably tight on him. so getting it on and off was a hassle, even with lube.
Tips:
1. Leave the hood in place over the head before removing. Typically it bunches up otherwise.
2. When donning and needing to adjust arms to correct position, blow into the cuffs to inflate sleeves enough to help adjust.

Anyhow just thought I would mention these.

Be safe out there.
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Ryfish

Re: Never Too Old to Learn Something New

Good tips on the trigger fish Mike! How was the rest of the diving?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by florfreediver View Post

Dealing with open cell suit.
My grandson had a open cell suit that was reasonably tight on him. so getting it on and off was a hassle, even with lube.
Tips:
1. Leave the hood in place over the head before removing. Typically it bunches up otherwise.
2. When donning and needing to adjust arms to correct position, blow into the cuffs to inflate sleeves enough to help adjust.

Anyhow just thought I would mention these.

Be safe out there.
Mike.
See;

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=197576

post #5
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Shorediver

Thank you for posting these tips. I already knew these but it is always good to refresh or learn new techniques.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote