Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #91
misfit12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Haleiwa Hawaii
Posts: 35
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

finally got to do a doggie hunt last month...its now an addiction! all i want to do is go hunt these monsters again! not sure if this is an old thread or not....I just stumbled upon it today. These fish are by far the most challenging fish I've had the pleasure of chasing... and all I can think of is going back! got lucky and landed one nice fish...had a few other beasts eaten by sharks! thanks for all of the advise in this thread... i will be switching up tactic on my next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	223423  
misfit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #92
JJohansen
Registered User
 
JJohansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kona, Hawaii
Age: 36
Posts: 394
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit12 View Post
finally got to do a doggie hunt last month...its now an addiction! all i want to do is go hunt these monsters again! not sure if this is an old thread or not....I just stumbled upon it today. These fish are by far the most challenging fish I've had the pleasure of chasing... and all I can think of is going back! got lucky and landed one nice fish...had a few other beasts eaten by sharks! thanks for all of the advise in this thread... i will be switching up tactic on my next trip!
Nice fish!
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #93
misfit12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Haleiwa Hawaii
Posts: 35
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

thanks!!! Im now completely obsessed with getting back out somewhere these fish roam and getting more! by far the most exciting fish to hunt! luckily spined this fish w a Pathos Laser 140. Was using a slip tip, but after reading all this thread I may try and use a heavy single flopper on my next trip! This thread is awesome!
misfit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #94
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor
 
Neptonic Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 637
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

We're a firm believer in static lines integrated with bungee. Check out our 100' integrated Neptonics floatline coupled with either one 3 atmos float or a RA hard float separated by 6' of bungee onto a 3 atmos float. Some opt for 2 x 3 atmos floats for good safety.

The trick with doggies, as many people have said is horsing them off the reef.

Good luck!
__________________
Neptonics Website
Instagram
Facebook



Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #95
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep
 
DABEER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GUAM
Age: 33
Posts: 791
Send a message via AIM to DABEER
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Guam has a few medium sized doggies up to 50 lbs we almost always end up shooting them with a riffe euro 130 with a reel and a flopper shaft, we land most of the fish we shoot by horsing them off the reef with fish bigger than 50lbs more to the 100lb range a reel is useless and you just get spooled so we dont bother. The most important thing is putting a good shot in from close range
__________________
LEAGUES DEEP SPEARFISHING TEAM
DABEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:18 AM   #96
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Hey guys. Sorry for reviving the old thread but after reading all the doggie threads I think this is the most practical knowledge-filled one and the best place for my question.
Can we talk about shot placement? I finally made it to Indonesia. I won't be going after monsters, perhaps max 60 pounders. I have two inflatable floats and non-bungee line. But do you guys aim for a brain shot? Spine? "Wahoo shot" (between dorsal and anal fin)?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #97
virgili
Registered User
 
virgili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,381
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Pioneering dt tuna on a red sea spot..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q7UHCqSo38&t=2s
__________________
info@spearfishingmotion.com
http://www.spearfishingmotion.com

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion/feed
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #98
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Sorry to bump this again but would be great with some specific advice on the above:-)? (Shot placement doggies)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #99
Behslayer
Senior Member
 
Behslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 4,697
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

I'll share my trick. When you encounter Dogtooth's, often you will see a bunch of them. In my experience there is often a Leader of the pack who is the Beast... It's very difficult to land the beast. Then you need to deal with it, carry it around.. and for what? So you can show everyone what a big fish you caught.. Leave the Breeders and take the 20-40lb fish. For these Shot placement is not such a big deal. There is an offswitch on Doggies, like any fish, but it's a really small area towards the head. So my advice on Shot placement is to place your shot on the smaller fish. you'll land them and they taste best.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 AM   #100
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

I like your thinking. Personally, I don't have a wish to shoot monster fish but I still want to reduce the risk of tear outs. I did shoot two nice macks over the last two days. At "just" 10kg each I was still surprised how hard they fight. One almost pulled my 20l float under twice. No issue with being underpowered with my airgun either as I strung the first one on the line and I think the second one, too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #101
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo
 
2fishin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 56
Posts: 3,099
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
I'll share my trick. When you encounter Dogtooth's, often you will see a bunch of them. In my experience there is often a Leader of the pack who is the Beast... It's very difficult to land the beast. Then you need to deal with it, carry it around.. and for what? So you can show everyone what a big fish you caught.. Leave the Breeders and take the 20-40lb fish. For these Shot placement is not such a big deal. There is an offswitch on Doggies, like any fish, but it's a really small area towards the head. So my advice on Shot placement is to place your shot on the smaller fish. you'll land them and they taste best.
I agree with Jon on what he said as its 100% true. Although, larger dogtooth do taste better than smaller. If your goal is to have fun and land a fish, stick with the smaller fish that you can have a better chance at landing.

Along with that, here are a few do's and don'ts in no certain order all in my opinion only:

Have plenty of shafts. For doggies Ive found that larger double offset flopper shafts 8mm and over are best. They have more punching power and put more pressure on a fish after it is shot. For me, sliptips are a no-go.

On reefs, you are going to lose fish and gear. Have double of everything you need.

Don't need double floats. The largest float that can take the most PSI will be best. A 60lb doggie can submerge the largest floats so having one that can be filled to most PSI is the ticket.

No bungie and shortest floatline you can use. I now use a Riffe 75ft.

Shot placement for me:

If shooting fish from side the sweet spot is right behind the head and gill plate right on the lateral line. Also, a gill plate shot is a great holding one that will allow you to control the fish much better than any body shot.

Top down shot right on top of head if you can get close enough to penetrate. If you cant get close enough, you will only poke and the shaft will pull right out.

As soon as you shoot one they will freight train down the reef running their bodies on the reef to try and dislodge the shaft. You must have the best terminal gear you can find. If you crimp line, double crimps without cutting the line while crimping. Don't use tuna clips, use either a Gannet loop or stainless steel shackles. Use the best spectra you can get.

Don't chase the fish. Swim sideways and act uninterested. Don't look at them directly. Swim away from them. They are very curious fish. Go to the bottom and scratch pound rocks sand if in shallow enough water.

If you are diving with a buddy, stay together. If there are multiple fish around normally after one guy has shot a fish, a bigger one will come right to the shot fish and sometimes try and eat it.

Immediately after shooting fish grap the floatline and "try" to stop the fish while ascending. If you can manage to keep the head of the fish pointed towards the surface, you can control it and have a better chance of landing it.

Best doggie spots are the most dangerous diving areas. Pinacles, points, currents and downdrafts are their hangout spots. Be careful.

Fish the tides, watch the moon cycle. Slack tides are worst. The best tides to fish are medium tides 1 hr prior to high to 1 hr after. A low tide change can also be good if the spot is favorable for it. Be in the water and ready at tide change. Don't be somewhere else plucking reef fish then, you will miss the fish. Tides greatly effect the fish, a great doggie spot can look like the worst place ever with no fish or life until the tide change which will bring all the fish in a local area to it.

Even after all the stories you have read and all the preparation you have done, there is no other fish that compares to the power of a dogtooth tuna, full stop.

Have fun and prepared to be addicted.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 AM   #102
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 596
Re: Spearing Dogtooth Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
I agree with Jon on what he said as its 100% true. Although, larger dogtooth do taste better than smaller. If your goal is to have fun and land a fish, stick with the smaller fish that you can have a better chance at landing.



Along with that, here are a few do's and don'ts in no certain order all in my opinion only:



Have plenty of shafts. For doggies Ive found that larger double offset flopper shafts 8mm and over are best. They have more punching power and put more pressure on a fish after it is shot. For me, sliptips are a no-go.



On reefs, you are going to lose fish and gear. Have double of everything you need.



Don't need double floats. The largest float that can take the most PSI will be best. A 60lb doggie can submerge the largest floats so having one that can be filled to most PSI is the ticket.



No bungie and shortest floatline you can use. I now use a Riffe 75ft.



Shot placement for me:



If shooting fish from side the sweet spot is right behind the head and gill plate right on the lateral line. Also, a gill plate shot is a great holding one that will allow you to control the fish much better than any body shot.



Top down shot right on top of head if you can get close enough to penetrate. If you cant get close enough, you will only poke and the shaft will pull right out.



As soon as you shoot one they will freight train down the reef running their bodies on the reef to try and dislodge the shaft. You must have the best terminal gear you can find. If you crimp line, double crimps without cutting the line while crimping. Don't use tuna clips, use either a Gannet loop or stainless steel shackles. Use the best spectra you can get.



Don't chase the fish. Swim sideways and act uninterested. Don't look at them directly. Swim away from them. They are very curious fish. Go to the bottom and scratch pound rocks sand if in shallow enough water.



If you are diving with a buddy, stay together. If there are multiple fish around normally after one guy has shot a fish, a bigger one will come right to the shot fish and sometimes try and eat it.



Immediately after shooting fish grap the floatline and "try" to stop the fish while ascending. If you can manage to keep the head of the fish pointed towards the surface, you can control it and have a better chance of landing it.



Best doggie spots are the most dangerous diving areas. Pinacles, points, currents and downdrafts are their hangout spots. Be careful.



Fish the tides, watch the moon cycle. Slack tides are worst. The best tides to fish are medium tides 1 hr prior to high to 1 hr after. A low tide change can also be good if the spot is favorable for it. Be in the water and ready at tide change. Don't be somewhere else plucking reef fish then, you will miss the fish. Tides greatly effect the fish, a great doggie spot can look like the worst place ever with no fish or life until the tide change which will bring all the fish in a local area to it.



Even after all the stories you have read and all the preparation you have done, there is no other fish that compares to the power of a dogtooth tuna, full stop.



Have fun and prepared to be addicted.


Awesome write-up. Thanks so, so much. The tide info is good, too. As for the moon phase I heard that doggies may like new moon the most (which is only a few days away)? In any case we can't choose the moon phase but we can watch the tides and will do so.
I'm with you on most of the gear, too. Have a properly inflated high pressure float and double crimped mono. Had a short in-line bungee and rigid floatline for the Mack hunting but the idea was always to loose the bungee when we try to go for the doggies.

Thanks again!
David


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com