Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
brandon cadalzo

New knife

Folks I’m looking into a new dive knife. It has to come out of the box very sharp. My old knife, the salvimar ST blade was awesome but I’m looking for something new to try. Anyone try the RIFFE Wrangler series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: New knife

Depends on what you want, but I've had enough of dull rusting knives! If the S.S. is high enough grade not to rust it wont hold an edge. So I went with this one;

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-sqtkets...&utm_campaign=[ADL]%20[UM]%20[Shopping]%20-%20Generic%20Level&utm_term=1100502012356&utm_cont ent=Generic%20Level%20-%20Product%20Type&adlclid=ADL-cd8df99c-ea86-4abe-9626-4abfeec73c08
Titanium, sharp, one hand gets it in and out of the sheath, and NEVER RUST AGAIN! Honestly, damn cheap for what you get. I carry two, one on my BC inflator hose, and one on the back of my computer consul. That way I can always reach one or the other, and if I drop one I have back up, and that is important.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
popgun pete

Although not a general purpose knife some time ago I bought an Aldi ceramic kitchen knife for about 5 bucks, mainly because it was sitting there on the sale table. Sometime later I had to cut up heavy duty cardboard cartons and boxes to pack in a recycling bin and on an impulse decided to try out the ceramic knife. There was a huge pile of thick wall boxes and the ceramic blade went through them all like butter. Thinking that I had probably done for the blade I washed it off and then tried it out on cutting a tomato for a sandwich for lunch. To my amazement the tomato cut like I was using a razor, so these ceramic knives are hard and sharp! Also brittle unless you buy a 200 buck zirconia reinforced ceramic blade, but these things should be great for slashing kelp and there ain't nothing to rust. Just need a sheath of some sort as the supplied scabbard is just a blade cover.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Mantarrayo

The IST K21 knife and the Aquatec Thor are the same and a very good knife. I like that the knife handle snaps into the sheath securely and the quick release needs a solid squeeze. Knives like the riffe stubby or Mako Kona kill knife are low profile and of the perfect size, but i already lost a couple of them because they are held with the degradable rubber ring and lost both during dives without noticing..

Last edited by Mantarrayo; 11-01-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Mantarrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #5
Mikel_24

Out of the box sharpness shouldn't be considered a good indicator of knife quality. If you are into knives (or even if you just used them) you should be able to get them sharp.

Titanium will not corrode no matter what but edge holding is poor. Which means that you will have to sharpen the knife often. RC hardness (which affects edge holding, even though is not the only factor) is very low.

On the other hand, generic (read, cheap) uber-stainless steels will not hold an edge either and will be truly hard to sharpen.

My suggestion is to go Spyderco H1 or LC200N or Riffe Wrangler.

Plenty of info here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...knife.1683832/

Some say the Fish Hunter from Spyderco (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB40YL/1055) has poor sheath retention, but if you go the bungee-cord-through-the-lanyard-hole-and-over-the-sheath-end solution (highly recommended) the non-retention-ess of the sheath becomes a non-issue. Or you could make a kydex sheath yourself.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
diveincanada

I got the Riffe Stubby(gray version) and it's great. It's on sale on the Riffe site @38$. Mako has a knife that looks the same @29$. The Riffe Wrangler is longer but I don't think it needs to be longer unless you wanna use for something else than braining the fish. Longer might not be ideal depending on where you wear your knife. Mine is attached to my shoulder on my weight vest. I take good care of my knife and my Riffe still shows a bit of rust near the handle. Hope this helps.
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Marco

I've been using the Cressi Killer for years and I love it. I have two spares...

It holds the edge pretty good, but you have to re-sharpen it every now and then. It also rusts a little if you don't wash and dry it after each use, but that's normal with high carbon steel.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
popgun pete

Here is a stand-by knife that could be kept as a back-up, it just folds up.
https://spearfishing.com.au/collecti...c-rescue-knife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC knife.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	244367  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #9
fredfoes

I took this one and I'm going to make him a kydex case

https://www.couteauxduchef.com/coute...inox-18cm.html
fredfoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
sacha58

My choice, tough , sharp, no rust. http://www.missionknives.com/shop/in...&product_id=15

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote