Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #61
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Re: Bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Ditto the respect right back at you Mike....You def make the top five list of people I haven't dove with that I'd like to dive with someday! And IMHO you're qualified to do just 'bout anything on any dive boat anywhere............
Dan, Thankyou.! and yes for sure we need to dive together at some point that would be awesome.! I just am not very good at putting fish in the cooler.
I am good with a scrub brush.

Dago.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #62
SME116

We ran into that shrimper and exploratory vessel two weeks ago about 26 miles West of John's Pass. Fortunately, we never got a chance to drop in before we were hailed and made aware of what they were doing. The Captain explained that the cable was for seismographic testing and that the force of the air blasts was dangerous to divers. We decided not to hang around - Glad you guys are safe!
SME116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #63
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Amazing trip once again Dan. Thanks for sharing it with us through your stories and pictures.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #64
inletsurf

Quote:
Just wanted to clarify something..the #14 picture of that big sink is 139 meters (not feet) deep. Had gotten a couple of PM's about diving it. It's probably 460 feet at the top edge....700-800 down in the hole. I should have switched the scope to feet before taking a picture.
Do you fish it?
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #65
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf View Post
Do you fish it?
You ever wonder whats hoverin in the water column over an 800 ft sink hole?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #66
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
You ever wonder whats hoverin in the water column over an 800 ft sink hole?
I do now!!! Big jacks and big sharks???
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #67
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by inletsurf View Post
Do you fish it?
Steve, it was actually around midnight when I ran over it....I was really way out there looking at a very deep wreck and was headed towards shallower water and ran over that sinkhole. No, we didn't fish it.....I was way too beat to tangle with the size of the stuff I saw on the recorder anyway!

As far as diving it...you'd have to plan on the low 500's to spear on it....a conservative plan would easily require 3 hours (or more) of staged deco...and that depths out where the really big mako's play. I could dive it..but to spear on it, at least for bottom fish sounds like a little too much.

Now, I'd love to and probably will some day, go back and fish it!
Maybe we could chum something big up shallow enough to stick it with some buoy gear..now that'd be fun!

I saw swim bladder echos on that spot that looked kinda big....interesting spot to keep in the back of my mind though.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #68
RichT

Good report Dan and interesting info about the seismographic equipment. I have never heard of that stuff being out here before but it may just save some divers hearing.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #69
inletsurf

Cool stuff Dan! Do you have an electric reel? I bet that thing would smoke an armature on a spot like that!!!! I've been trying some golden tile spots in 600 ft over here lately, and that's in ripping current. If that spot has little current, I'd bet it would be smoking on an electric setup.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #70
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Quote:
Steve, it was actually around midnight when I ran over it....I was really way out there looking at a very deep wreck and was headed towards shallower water and ran over that sinkhole. No, we didn't fish it.....I was way too beat to tangle with the size of the stuff I saw on the recorder anyway!

As far as diving it...you'd have to plan on the low 500's to spear on it....a conservative plan would easily require 3 hours (or more) of staged deco...and that depths out where the really big mako's play. I could dive it..but to spear on it, at least for bottom fish sounds like a little too much.

Now, I'd love to and probably will some day, go back and fish it!
Maybe we could chum something big up shallow enough to stick it with some buoy gear..now that'd be fun!

I saw swim bladder echos on that spot that looked kinda big....interesting spot to keep in the back of my mind though.

How do you tell what a swim bladder echo looks like? Never heard anyone say that before, now I am curious.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #71
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill shot View Post
How do you tell what a swim bladder echo looks like? Never heard anyone say that before, now I am curious.
KS..the fish shows on any depth finder are all showing a return from the air in the fish's swim bladders. No air equals no return show from any animal on a screen. The bigger the fish generally means more air and a bigger show on the screen. I have heard that sharks, which have no swim bladders, can still sometimes still show a return from the size of their teeth...don't know if thats true or not..just something a pretty salty guy swore to me once.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #72
Teh Wicked

Scounting a wreck out past a 139m Sink hole huh? Sounds to me like someone is thinking about making another Warsaw trip in the future? Would deffinatly be cool to see you guys in action one day on video, I was deployed when you Speargun Hunter shows were played so I have yet to see them.
Teh Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #73
FredT

Quote:
I have heard that sharks, which have no swim bladders, can still sometimes still show a return from the size of their teeth...don't know if thats true or not..just something a pretty salty guy swore to me once.
Teeth might show, but the density change of the stored oil in the liver should give a better bounce back. The is used in place of the swim bladder in some sharks, but since the smaller density difference of the oil compared to air it is not as good a reflector as the air in the bladder though. in any case it would take a pretty massive toothy boneless critter to show up beyond the signal rejection filter in the sounder either way. That filter is set generally to prevent you seeing multiple layers of bottom when looking at sand/mud over a hard substrate.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #74
Moving Target

Quote:
No additional spots spotted, so I turned back to the dark spot I was shooting toward. Whoooaaaaa...the dark spots moving.....that ain't good. The last thermoclines breaking and the dark spot comes plainly into view......it's a massive sawfish. And I'm heading right at 'em. I don't use the word massive too often, but trust me, massive doesn't do this thing justice.
Great report and amazing stuff.... Truly an experience to remember!
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #75
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
Teeth might show, but the density change of the stored oil in the liver should give a better bounce back. The is used in place of the swim bladder in some sharks, but since the smaller density difference of the oil compared to air it is not as good a reflector as the air in the bladder though. in any case it would take a pretty massive toothy boneless critter to show up beyond the signal rejection filter in the sounder either way. That filter is set generally to prevent you seeing multiple layers of bottom when looking at sand/mud over a hard substrate.
FT..thats an interesting thought....I'd never considered that possibility...sure makes sense after thinking about it. I always enjoy your post ..your experience is obvious and brings a lot to the board.