Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Alexrom1207

3.0CF spare air (too much drag for freediving?)

Okay, just to preface this....I'm not using the spare air for a regular air source, so please don't chime in with "dude don't use spare air to freedive" because that's not what I'm doing.

I want to get a small 3.0cf spare air that I can strap to my lower back when freediving and spearfishing. The air would be there in case I got wrapped up in some line underwater or otherwise entangled. I don't dive much deeper than 40' with most of my diving in 20' or less, so I'm not worried about having enough air to come back from 100'. I figured having the air there would help me to relax and therefore freedive better. But will the drag of the bottle be more trouble than it's worth? Keep in mind I'm not wearing a bc or anything so the the difference will be drag with just wetsiut vs. drag with wetsuit + 3.0cf spare air.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
23six
Kalea Kai

Re: 3.0CF spare air (too much drag for freediving?)

I have had an otterbox strapped to my back freediving with no real problems. You notice it's there at first, but if you relax while freediving you shouldn't be kicking all that hard to begin with. I can't imagine a spare air bottle would be a lot of drag. That being said I would hesitate to encourage any sort of false sense of security. If used as mentioned I don't see the harm though.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

As an analogy, I work seasonally as High-Alt SAR on Denali. A lot of rescues we perform are due to the fact that SAR services are available, and the climber is not up to the task of the climb. Likewise, a Spare Air will give false security, when proper technique and situational awareness is what should prevail. That's why I use mono core on my floatlines, cuts through quick and easy.

Not trying to pick at anyones package, just food for thought.
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Brilliant. Keep in mind the law of expanding gasses.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote