Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
BlueOcean

Bobcats in RI

anyone ever see one?

My girlfriends's mom just called us and said there's a big cat with high pointed ears and a short puffy tale running around in the backyard. They are backed up to woods in Johnston. There's tons of deer and not so many rabbits lately.
BlueOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
wahlie

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
Re: Bobcats in RI

definitely cats in RI. i've seen them on the beaches. we have tons in CT too. and in ny
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
millarhighlife

There are definitely bobcats in RI, just very rare to see one. She's pretty lucky to have had the opportunity, if that's what it was. Those fisher cats (not really cats) are pretty crazy too, bumped into one of them in the woods a few years ago down in North Kingstown...
millarhighlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
wahlie

Send a message via AIM to wahlie

fishers are nasty critters. I've run into them on numerous occasion in the woods. didn't realize that they slept in trees until this deer season i posted up underneath one. scared the beejeezus outta me.... he almost met the business end of my .270
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Muzzy
Fish Killin' Swamp Yankee

Send a message via MSN to Muzzy

Not only are bobcats in rhode island, DEM has admitted that there are 8 known mountain lions in the state of rhode island. One is said to be living directly behind my house. Another is living in the Carolina Management area.
A well know wildlife artist who lives in Carolina, told me she had one chase a deer across her backyard several years back.
Muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
Proulxr07

Send a message via AIM to Proulxr07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
Not only are bobcats in rhode island, DEM has admitted that there are 8 known mountain lions in the state of rhode island. One is said to be living directly behind my house. Another is living in the Carolina Management area.
A well know wildlife artist who lives in Carolina, told me she had one chase a deer across her backyard several years back.
We have some mountain lions in CT also. A buddy of mine in Ashford had one jump out in front of his car. As far as bobcats go they are very common here. I see probably 4-5 a year. Mostly in bow season. Last year I had a mom with 4 kittens playing under my tree. Then I watched the kittens learn how to stalk turkeys. Pretty cool stuff. My dad actually had a fisher cat step on his boot before it realized what he was. The sound it made was hilarious.
Proulxr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
BlueOcean

I saw a mountain lion in New Jersey. It was in my girlfriend's backyard. She was living in a neighborhood that was near a lot of woods. It was at least 100 pounds, grey/brown in color, and had a long tail. I was in my car and it stared at me for a about 6 seconds before it ran off. I even remember the date (June 22, 2009).

I wrote to a couple of newspapers but it seems like no one really believes me (especially friends and family). I've stopped telling people about it, but am constantly reading similar unconfirmed reports online. All documented scientific evidence states that mountain lions are no longer in eastern states (besides the small Florida population)..... How can this be?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
scrounger

Send a message via AIM to scrounger

they dont like people to know about the big cats, as it makes the population worried. much like how there are all these bear seen but we have no bears here even if they killed your sheep, just transients.
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
millarhighlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
I'm skeptical of 8 mountain lions being in RI. Did the DEM say where and how they were spotted?
millarhighlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
fishyak
Going deeper!

I heard from one of my professors last semester that there are currently 2 bears in RI, one having set up camp a mile or 2 down curtis corner road from the SK police station

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Proulxr07

Send a message via AIM to Proulxr07

CT has lots of bears. Some moose around also.
Proulxr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Crusty Old Dive

There was a bobcat hit by a car in Ledyard, CT last year. The guy that found it brought and it to a taxidermist. From what I understand it wound up at the Pequot Museum stuffed and posed.

Funny story about Fisher Cats... up at Ekonk Turkey Hill Farm in northern CT a few years back a fisher got into the holding pen and killed every turkey in the joint. I can't remember the numbers but I think it was something like 60 or 70 turkeys killed dead. Freaky... which reminds me of a dude in the Navy I knew, Tiki was his name... he was at a friends house/farm and there was a big tom turkey that was f'ing with all the other turkeys. The owner wanted rid of it so Tiki hops the fence, pulls out his buck knife and proceeds to do battle with it. Swear to God... that turkey made Tiki his bitch. Tiki came into the dive locker the next day and had clawed gouges all over his neck, face and arms. (Snackrifice will concur the story). Tiki did wind up killing it with a knife... but that old tom turkey gave him a run for his money. My point is... that if a salty old Navy Diver got f'd by one turkey... a fisher cat that can kill 60 to 70 birds must be one tough-son-of-a-bitch.

Last edited by Crusty Old Dive; 02-23-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Muzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyak View Post
I heard from one of my professors last semester that there are currently 2 bears in RI, one having set up camp a mile or 2 down curtis corner road from the SK police station
There are a lot more than two bears in RI. I have a photo of two of them at my grand dad's bird feeder. I also saw one get hit by a car on Rt 95 back about 10 years ago. That same day, 5 miles away. A Bear was walking around on the soccer field at Exeter / West Greenwich High School.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Muzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by millarhighlife View Post
I'm skeptical of 8 mountain lions being in RI. Did the DEM say where and how they were spotted?
Game cam photos, eye witness accounts, paw prints, deer 1/2 eaten being found in trees. There is also a rumor that one was struck by a car, not verified.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
BlueOcean

It would be biologically impossible for there to be only two bears in RI. There would have to be minimum a breeding population or none at all. Wasn't there one in Bonnet Shores a few years ago.

"deer 1/2 eaten being found in trees" LOL, that's nuts. Are the game cam photos available?