Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
ShootnReel

Re: A response to the IUSA statement on Ca Sheephead

Great post Dave thank you. I set a pole lets keep it bumped.
ShootnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
diligaf

This is a very interesting topic and there are very many good posts. I normally wouldn’t post on a California topic, but the train of thought all seems to go in the same direction and maybe I could offer a different perspective.

First let me start out with a disclaimer – Sheri is a friend of mine – but in no way do I speak for her or the IUSA. They only thing that I can say about Sheri’s opinion is that she is very impressed with the passion and respect of the posters on this thread.

From my perspective, let me start out by saying it is a very big leap to think the state of California will decide or make decisions on any rule or ruling of the IUSA. Governing bodies make decisions on the best available science and unfortunately political influence.

With that said, fisheries issues are always coming up and rightfully so. We need to manage our resources and as they come up the correct decisions must be made to preserve the resource and the eco-system.

The days of showing up in mass at hearings and having 100 people come up and say “It is my right to fish” or “My son just wants to be able to shoot a fish in his backyard” will not work anymore.

For the fisheries to sustain and to preserve the right to fish – we must be able to offer real solutions that work in the best interest of the fish, the fisherman, and economics. If viable solutions are not offered, the state either forces the fisherman into their compromise or enacts their proposal in its entirety.

The dive industry has always had a policy of “self-regulation”. If anything the IUSA is setting an example of “self-regulation” and if an issue comes up, the argument can be made that spearos have already self-regulated and there is no need for state intervention. However, when push comes to shove and regulation is on the horizon, spearos will be coming from a point-of-reason and their solutions will be well received.

Anyways… like I said it is just my perspective and I wish you the best of luck in your fisheries issues!
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Thanks for your input diligaf. you may be suprised to find that i agree with your statement that we should "self regulate".

The issue here is that self regulation is not warranted nor needed in this case. were it needed, you would find that 90 plus percent of the community would support it instead of 90 plus percent opposing it as is the case with sheephead.

In this case, it is not about self regulation, it is about a couple iusa boardmembers misleading people like sheri for their own personal agenda

Last edited by ralphthehalibut; 10-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
FIT4FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligaf View Post

The dive industry has always had a policy of “self-regulation”. If anything the IUSA is setting an example of “self-regulation” and if an issue comes up, the argument can be made that spearos have already self-regulated and there is no need for state intervention. However, when push comes to shove and regulation is on the horizon, spearos will be coming from a point-of-reason and their solutions will be well received.

Anyways… like I said it is just my perspective and I wish you the best of luck in your fisheries issues!
The idea of the industry or dive community and Self regulation is extremely subjective, hence this entire issue......... Also an argument can be made as well that the spearos have self regulated so the state must intervene... I know FLA has some issues as well, but believe me ,CA plays dirty!!!
FIT4FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #20
Huntersmoon
The Creature

I agree with Diligaf on this, mostly because IUSA is a spearfishing organization, "international". They do not speak for or represent spearfishers, but rather an organization you can choose to be a part of...or not. You have to pay to be part of this organization...I would bet most people here are not members. My suggestion is become part of the membership, run for a position on the board, then become part of the decision making process.
Another point to consider in "scientific" studies...the facts are subject to interpretation...this is where "theories" come from.

Last edited by Huntersmoon; 10-11-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Huntersmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #21
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
In this case, it is not about self regulation, it is about a couple iusa boardmembers misleadind people who like sheri for their own personal agenda
Refresh me on that personal agenda. Did the Packard Foundation buy Joe Farlo a yacht so big that he could put his present big boat on it as a dingy? What the hell does he get personally out of pissing so many of you off?

Or is his "personal agenda" his honest opinion, just as your agenda reflects your opinion.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #22
Spearforfun

Well reasoned and to the point. Thank you Dave. I agree wholeheartedly.
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:57 AM   #23
HeadlessHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Refresh me on that personal agenda. Did the Packard Foundation buy Joe Farlo a yacht so big that he could put his present big boat on it as a dingy? What the hell does he get personally out of pissing so many of you off?

Or is his "personal agenda" his honest opinion, just as your agenda reflects your opinion.
Can everyone just ignore this post from Bill? It doesn't make sense to rehash the long list of reasons making it very clear a personal agenda is at play. I only hope the Fathomiers and IUSA saw a few of the posts about witnessing unethical activity. If so, I am sure the question of suitability for appointed roles will be discussed.
HeadlessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessHunter View Post
Can everyone just ignore this post from Bill? It doesn't make sense to rehash the long list of reasons making it very clear a personal agenda is at play. I only hope the Fathomiers and IUSA saw a few of the posts about witnessing unethical activity. If so, I am sure the question of suitability for appointed roles will be discussed.
+1

Bill, if you want to rehash it, start another thread. Better yet, call me. We can meet for a beer tomorrow and ill tell/show you in person.

Deal?
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote