Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #211
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Re: Carbon Fin Reviews

Quick input on the C4 300 pockets. They are really hard to put on mostly just because the opening is smaller. You can take some scissors and trim around the opening and they will be easier to put on. Start small - 1/8". If your wearing them barefoot you will want to burn the edge with a lighter and then smooth out the materiel. I've done this to a few pairs with success.

Side note - Molchanovs carbon blades (pathos version) on the Cetma pockets has resulted in the least leg burn for me on 40m dives.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 AM   #212
Fat Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAndrew View Post
Quick input on the C4 300 pockets. They are really hard to put on mostly just because the opening is smaller. You can take some scissors and trim around the opening and they will be easier to put on. Start small - 1/8". If your wearing them barefoot you will want to burn the edge with a lighter and then smooth out the materiel. I've done this to a few pairs with success.

Side note - Molchanovs carbon blades (pathos version) on the Cetma pockets has resulted in the least leg burn for me on 40m dives.
How do you find the Cetma pockets?
Fat Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 PM   #213
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayFK View Post
I’ll add:

C4 volare HT medium stiffness in C4 300 foot pocket:

I’ve enclosed a photo, side by side with Alchemy V3 and Bleutec Spearo.

Those are the best fins I’ve ever tried in my option, (mind you, I’ve had the chance to try diveR innegra, cetma, deep apnea and other top brands).

The foot pocket is crazy ! Reminds me of my road bike shows. Perfect fit and extreme responsiveness. Bit of a pain to put them as the foot pocket doesn’t stretch like some of the others

Blades: Their responsiveness is incredible. I got to dive with them to 105ft vertical drop, and while I love and trust my alchemy V3 for deep drops, I didn’t get leg burns like the alchemy. Horizontal swims: similar aspect, less effort for the same distance travelled... probably a 15-20% improved efficiency in my depth and breath hold , whether it’s the mental aspect or gear performance or combination of both....

The only downside is that they are quite long and hard to find a bag that will fit them. Also not the cheapest fins...

I’m predominantly a Spearo around structures such as rigs and wrecks so definitely I’ll have to be extra careful around structures.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
which stiffness alchemies V3s are these?
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #214
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Larry View Post
How do you find the Cetma pockets?
http://formulafreediving.com/cetma-c...tpockets-pair/
Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #215
Fat Larry

Quote:
Sorry, its a question meaning what do you think of them?
Fat Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #216
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Larry View Post
Sorry, its a question meaning what do you think of them?
Ahh, gotcha. They are a great pocket for me. They fit me perfectly. Somewhat average shape. Seems like they won't fit feet with a really high arch - based on what I've seen with customers. They are nice and firm on the bottom yet easy to wear without socks. Super short tendons not adding stiffness via rubber to the blade. They seem durable. Easy to glue on blades. I think they float in the water - which I prefer. Not very hard to get on.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #217
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:

Thanks for this tip on the C4 300 pockets. It worked well--a pair of very sharp scissors cuts the material easily. I spent about 10 minutes with scissors, fins, and booties carefully checking contact points and trimming just a bit off at a time to make sure it wasn't too much. End result was a very comfy pocket that I could slip on in a few seconds and have a secure fit even without fin keepers. I have high arches so took very little off the front edge of the foot opening but nearly half an inch off the back part that slips over my ankle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #218
growingupninja
Lance

MEANDROS X-PRO

Dove yesterday with these for the first time, courtesy Spear America Southbay. Medium stiffness, Pathos pockets...

Wow, really nice fin and looking like these will be my new favorite. Loads of speed and thrust. With no pools available to test in I got on the line and knocked out 22 x 32M drops in morning training, wearing 5mm suit, to see how they'd perform.

First impressions were that they're among the fastest fins I've recently worn with great instant acceleration and torque, and a very traditional blade angle which I really appreciated after diving Cetmas for so long. I'd say the Meandros run on the stiffer side--not necessarily a bad thing and the medium stiffness would be excellent for deep spearing and currents in a heavy wetsuit, but for going up and down a line in a streamline it was borderline too much torque. Most warm water divers would probably be fine in the soft blades. After 22 drops I had to stop because the training group was ready to go in and eat but legs still felt great. Nice to see that kind of response and top end in a fin that feels good even after a lot of solid kicking.

Downsides? Well, pricewise are right up there with other top tier performance fins. The more traditional blade angle plus relatively short length definitely favors a diver with good ankle flexibility and a well developed kick. At this stiffness the fin shines brightest on vertical dives as opposed to surface kicking.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote