Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Re: Urt Lob Off Sponsored by OC Spearos/Spear America/Maverick America

Anything non-powered can be used. You have 2hrs to swim as far as you want and return.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
FreediveCA

Anyone register for this? If so, how? I went to the website and couldn't find much. Basically a flyer.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

I was yesterday at the club's meeting and it looks like a lot of people will be at the dive. The meeting had over 80 people. It was a zoo

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #19
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
I was yesterday at the club's meeting and it looks like a lot of people will be at the dive. The meeting had over 80 people. It was a zoo
Really? That is small territory for 80 people.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #20
Myrran
Myrran McKeen

So if you are having problems signing up for this tournament this is the link where you can make it happen.

http://urturt.com/product/urt-lob-of...orona-del-mar/

Go there and add it to your shopping cart. When you check out you will fill in your billing address and info. Pay and your in. A list of registrants will be at the check in.

At the moment you will have to do this on a PC. The website is not optimized for your phone.

Last edited by Myrran; 10-16-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Myrran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Or show up early and sign up in person
Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Time to start scouting
Old 10-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #23
Myrran
Myrran McKeen

Last bump for this thread. Tournament is tomorrow. If you are interested in this get on a PC and go sign up now.

See you at the beach.
Myrran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #24
tailsurfer

would be fun, but I am going after wahoo and Dorado again on Saturday.
1 wahoo, 2 dodo so far...
Old 10-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #25
Perchunter

Congratulations to Spearthebigones. He pretty much kicked everyone's arses with his impressive catch.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #26
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchunter View Post
Congratulations to Spearthebigones. He pretty much kicked everyone's arses with his impressive catch.
Haha thanks Perchunter

Here's a pic of the winning catch. A 4.3 pound day lobster. Biggest day bug I've ever caught

The line in the sand has been drawn and the excitement keeps building as we wait for the call.

It's go time!

LOB on Duty, who needs a lifeguard anyways?

Big thanks to everyone involved in setting up this event
www.ocspearos.org
http://urturt.com
http://www.spearamerica.com
http://maverick-america.com

Sign in table with hand painted lobster trophies + URT clothing for sale

URT made this epic hat for the event and everyone that signed up got one for free!

So stoked! I won a lobster competition! "Urt Lob Off" to be exact, held in Corona Del Mar: hosted by the www.ocspearos.org + http://urturt.com Sponsored by http://www.spearamerica.com + http://maverick-america.com I almost didn't sign up, but Fernando and Myrran kept taunting me about it. Which got me motivated to fork over the $25 entry fee and head on down to this event.

The rules of the competition were pretty simple. Everyone starts on the beach and after they say go you get 2 hours to look for lobsters. It was kinda exciting waiting down the minutes as we stood side by side on the beach staring out to the sea. The sun was shining down on us and there wasn't a cloud around. It made for a rather warm October day. Too warm if you'd ask the divers, as their faces were already dripping with sweat like they'd just got out of a shower. I was laughing at the sight as they baked in their full body wetsuits. But since every minute counts, no one wanted to take off their wet suits as the time quickly approached.

1:10pm hit and it was go time! Everyone rushed to the sea. I pulled up the rear dragging my kayak across the sand slowly making it in to the water only to look up and see the waves had kicked it in to overdrive. Big sets were rolling in, but no time to wait them out, I gotta get out there! My impatience was king of the moment and it didn't take long for a big wave to hit my kayak in a roar, flipped it over, and dragged me back to shore. Now my yak was partly filled with water a bit, but not enough to stop me. A few more sets of getting knocked back and I was past the the breakers!

As I headed out to my spot I had one goal in mind, don't get skunked! Day dives just aren't my thing for lobsters. I always go at night. So today I was just hoping to have a chance at grabbing something.

Hit the first spot and the visibility was great! 12ft at least, which is more than you need for bug diving. I started working the holes and in no time I grabbed my first lobster! It looked legal, but measured short. So slightly disappointed I chucked it back and went looking for another hole. But before I got the chance those big sets rolled in and they came in strong! A torrent of water pulled me up and smashed me against the rocks ripping a hole in my wetsuit, bruising my leg, and churned up so the sand so much the area went from 12ft to 2ft of visibility. Swimming away from the rocks I waited and waited, but the vis didn't improve and the thought of those waves coming back got me a little afraid. So I jumped back on my yak and headed to the next spot.

Hopped in the water at the second spot and within a few dives I found another lobster. Shone my light straight at it and knew this guy was legal. My arm reached out and pinned him against the rocks. Lost a couple legs in the tussle, but I pulled him out! Felt pretty stoked at this point cause I hit my goal of not getting skunked. But with plenty of time left I figured I had a good chance of getting more!

A few dives late and I felt my heart sink when I let a similar sized lobster slip through my grasp. I had him gripped on the back, but I didn't squeeze hard enough and with a few frantic kicks of its tail the bug freed itself. Disappearing forever in to its dark home. I thought, "Well great Daniel. That could have been your winning combo of lobsters." But there was still time so I continued the search.

Peeping my head in to one hole and saw a monster orange face sticking back at me! This lobster was huge compared to anything I'd seen today! But all I saw was its face. His main body was still inside a narrow crack in the back of a hole. And I could tell he was poised to scurry away at a moment's notice. Without waiting I bolted forward. By the time I reached him he'd backed his body completely inside the hole. But not his antennae and that's what I grabbed! Got a good grip as he fought and subsequently pinned all of his legs against the rock. He didn't want to come out, but after a moment to adjust my grip and calm my nerves I yanked hard as hard as I could and freed the beast. Only a couple legs lost in the process. Backing out of the cave I was pretty stoked to catch this sucker! This clinched my win. And if anyone could find something bigger they'd definitely deserve it. But I thought this was it! This was the one that could win it. And luckily it was

Last edited by spearthebigones; 10-26-2015 at 04:50 AM.
spearthebigones is offline   Reply With Quote