Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Kyack

Jax/Fernandina Winter Diving

Anyone know what the viz is typically like with the colder water temps? Went out to AH on Sunday and the viz was horrible. There was a lot of particulate in the water. Is this common in the winter or is the bigger issue the northeasterly wind that stirs things up this time of year. Just trying to extend the dive season, but not if you can't see anything. Thanks.
Kyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Jrob

Re: Jax/Fernandina Winter Diving

I know there are plenty of people that dive during the winter months. I think the Viz is typically good but it's probably stirred up right now with how rough it has been. November and December are the biggest months for grouper and cobia here I believe.
Jrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
troutdiggler

It can be hit or miss with weather systems in the winter. The deeper you go, the warmer and clearer in the winter.
troutdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Kyack

Thanks. I am sure all of the n/ne winds the last few weeks hasn’t helped. I appreciate the input.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdiggler View Post
It can be hit or miss with weather systems in the winter. The deeper you go, the warmer and clearer in the winter.
Exactly, you pretty much never know what you are going to get when you go out there.

I have yet to figure out why, how, what or when the water turns crappy. I have never been able to correlate it to winds, weather or storms. I have been shocked with crystal clear water after a nasty storm and shocked with crap after calm weather, which is pretty much every mini season.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Aqua dog

Like trout diggler said I would try deeper.Elton Bottom.All the reports lately say it’s crap all the way out to 40 miles.10 ft seas last week didn’t help
Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Kyack

I was trying to figure out some kind of rhyme or reason but it sounds like you just have to make a run and see what it is like. Summer patterns seem to be a little easier to gauge.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Aqua dog

Viz was decent at BR on Saturday.we were gonna run out deeper but 4 ft seas every 5 secound didn’t allow that.30 to 40 ft viz.moved in to SS and it got a little worse,maybe 10 to 15 ft.Cobias are in.didnt see any grouper yet.Water must still be to warm.68 degrees on bottom
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Kyack

Awesome to hear. 68 ain’t too bad and that vis sounds pretty good. Might have to try another trip.