Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #226
CuzzA

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

Some progress before I head to Costa Rica. Cabin entry installed. Like I mentioned before, going three inches into the cabin gave me the under deck storage for the generator.

As you can see here. The step will be attached to a removable hatch.

Cooler is done. Still have some minor finishing to do. The lid will open to port and I'll put a 1/2" Starboard divider inside.

The fish box divider is tabbed in. Just need to cabosil the top edges. Lids are cut, but still need to be laminated. Forward lid will open toward the bow to act as a back stop when dinner gets tossed through the pilot house.

Aft lid will open toward starboard.

I'll be fairing when I get back.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #227
CuzzA

As I'm sure some of you Floridians know, we have some serious hot air on us right now making this kind of work borderline unbearable. But, no excuses, I gotta get it done. But first I needed a better work/boat storage area on my property. So I dug and spread some dirt. Hit it with a plate vibrator, formed out a pad mainly for the stern and trailer tires, plus some space for a small shed. Poured it on Tuesday and have been watering my concrete every several hours. The wife looks at me funny every time I tell her I'm going to water the concrete. Haha. Not my best concrete work, as I had a hell of a time with all the obstacles. But, it's a boat pad and it's good enough.

I still need to cut a joint. I'll also need to extend and raise the canopy as this boat is much bigger than my last one. But at least I now have a solid place to do some work out of the sun and use water without the area turning into a swamp. Stay tuned, more updates to come...

That spot on the bottom left is the kid's hand prints, I didn't screw it up that bad. Lol

Old 07-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #228
CuzzA

Helm chair is done. Just need to pop some snaps into the frame. Berth and benches are getting templated tomorrow. As a reminder, I built this seat to lay flat so I can open the scuba tank bench lid.

I think it came out pretty damn good for a one off purpose built seat.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #229
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Impressive job on the seat Jim, really looks good.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #230
CuzzA

Thanks, Dan.

It's not a luxury shock absorbing Stidd, but it should get the job done. I didn't want it to be so comfortable I'd fall asleep on auto pilot.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #231
CuzzA

I just want to put it on the record that fairing a boat f'ing sucks.

I'm about 3/4s the way done sanding the entire inside of the hull. It's hotter than a frying pan cooking your favorite fish. It's muggier than a back alley in Queens. Wetter than diving, but without the pleasure. I'm itchier than the aftermath of that one night stand you had back in the day. But on the plus side, I should be back to my playing weight by the end of the week. Would I do this again for a bigger boat? Yep. I find myself sitting at the helm during breaks picturing a cool breeze, a bloody deck and starring into the chart plotter choosing my next spot. Maybe one day...

Anyway, I figure another couple weeks and the inside will have gelcoat.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #232
Eibwen

Checking in James to see how the project is going. Boat should be close to done if you kept pace from last year. Looking forward to an update

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I just want to put it on the record that fairing a boat f'ing sucks.

I'm about 3/4s the way done sanding the entire inside of the hull. It's hotter than a frying pan cooking your favorite fish. It's muggier than a back alley in Queens. Wetter than diving, but without the pleasure. I'm itchier than the aftermath of that one night stand you had back in the day. But on the plus side, I should be back to my playing weight by the end of the week. Would I do this again for a bigger boat? Yep. I find myself sitting at the helm during breaks picturing a cool breeze, a bloody deck and starring into the chart plotter choosing my next spot. Maybe one day...

Anyway, I figure another couple weeks and the inside will have gelcoat.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #233
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Yes...go on. There's a story here.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #234
CuzzA

Alright y'all, the project is back on track. Work begins Monday with an estimated two month completion of all glass work. Throughout this process I have acquired most of my rigging, including having all of the cushions done. Basically all I have left to purchase is power and electronics. I feel confident she will be in service for the 2021 season.

First order of business this week will be some odds and ends, the cabin deck and then the pilot house.

I bought a new truck and may as well paint the boat the same color as the truck. So Ram's Maximum Steel it is. Fitting for a spearfishing boat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	3378
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	245847  
Old 07-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #235
jfjf

Cool - keep us updated!
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #236
CuzzA

There may not be anything worse in life than grinding fiberglass in the Florida summer heat. I am itchier than Bill Clinton's mistresses.

I got the anchor locker bulkhead tabbed in today. The underside of the transom box tabbed in. The gunwale tops grinded and the pilot house walls grinded. Walls will be tabbed in tomorrow. Then I need to tie together the forward deck with the windshield.

I also started a new boat project. You can read about it here. https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...t-rebuild.html

Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #237
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Pantyhose works good for removing fiberglass from your skin. You got to rub it on the skin...not wear them.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #238
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Pantyhose works good for removing fiberglass from your skin. You got to rub it on the skin...not wear them.
Haha. I'll have to try that. I bought one of those fluffy scrunchy whatchamacallits the women use to try and clean glass out of my skin in the shower.

Today I tacked the pilot house walls up. This picture is before cutting and bending them to fit the hull profile a little better. She stands a little tall, but there's always trade offs in boat building. Raising the deck 3 inches increased my height. But a dry self bailing deck is important. Once the windshield, windows, forward deck and rail is in I think it will look much better. Nevertheless I am happy with how it turned out so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	245892   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	245893   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	245894  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #239
CuzzA

More work completed today. I don't think I'm going to keep two threads going on this project. So if you want to follow this build to competition follow my thread on The Hull Truth.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...am-25-a-8.html
Old 03-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #240
CuzzA

I'm still working on the B25 project. Pretty much ready to paint the hull and rig, but in the meantime I did finish another project that I splashed today. Cool little beat around the bay and rivers boat. Thought you guys might like to see the transformation.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...t-rebuild.html