Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Butcher

Re: Southeastern US White Shark Encounter Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
Very cool. How far south of Sebastian/can you give an approximate location? Any chance you managed to get a picture?
It was just north of bethal buoy area. I was on the front of the boat headed out and could clearly see it. We went right over top of it. I knew right when I saw it that it was a white. Even if I had a camera I wouldn't have had time to get a shot.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Pyrofish
Nonnipotent

Surprised I didn't see this in a thread here somewhere. Tagged 14' Great White off Daytona according to her satellite beacon.
http://www.ocearch.org/profile/katharine/
Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Themasochist

Send a message via AIM to Themasochist

How does OCEARCH address this? http://www.whitesharkvideo.com/ocearch-the-enemy.html
Themasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Pyrofish
Nonnipotent

How would anyone here know how Ocearch addresses anything? Sheesh, it's just a post about a verified great white in our diving waters... from the looks of the signal, pretty darn close to some of the artificial reef sites too.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
Themasochist

Send a message via AIM to Themasochist

That is some interesting logic, it clearly is harmful to these animals but you don't care cause you now have a fancy map showing "where they are." They have been there the whole time, you needed a map for that?
Themasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #21
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themasochist View Post
First and foremost, this thread is not here to serve as a bashing thread for OCEARCH and their efforts. It is promoting a completely separate White Shark Encounter Database we have set up at the University of North Florida to document and record white shark sightings by the fishing/diving/boating community.

That said, without going into this at length (because it's a pointless debate that has no end...and you have already tried to engage in this debate on a previous thread...it is also clear you have your mind made up) OCEARCH has addressed this. That link you posted has been disputed over and over, and the injury to that shark is not the result of OCEARCH's efforts. I am not a spokesperson for OCEARCH myself, just basing this off of my personal observations and conversations with numerous colleagues within the shark research community.

No research effort is perfect, but having been out on the OCEARCH vessel for the tagging of Lydia off Jax and Betsy & Katherine off Cape Cod, I can say that the best interest of the shark is paramount! Anyone can take clips from a video to make it look like the sharks are in danger, hurting, etc... But if you watch the whole videos, or witness it first hand (as I have), then you will see that the vast majority of the negative media attention is bogus.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #22
Money $hot

Mike
Went out of St Augustine yesterday. 1st dive of the day 9 AM at Taylor Reef, 72* temp on top, vis 30-40'. 3 divers, all three seen approx 10-12' what looks like great white. Caught on go pro, watch around video will be out soon, it's already on Matt and Adams Facebook page. I'm sure they'll post here. It's the 3rd GW we've sighted at this same spot in 4 years. It's Matt and Adams 2nd underwater encounter at this spot. Keep up the work.
David
Money $hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #23
stillinscrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themasochist View Post
That is some interesting logic, it clearly is harmful to these animals but you don't care cause you now have a fancy map showing "where they are." They have been there the whole time, you needed a map for that?
You are on a Spearfishing website. What's your position on a steel shaft through a fish?
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #24
pirate_diver
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money $hot View Post
Mike
Went out of St Augustine yesterday. 1st dive of the day 9 AM at Taylor Reef, 72* temp on top, vis 30-40'. 3 divers, all three seen approx 10-12' what looks like great white. Caught on go pro, watch around video will be out soon, it's already on Matt and Adams Facebook page. I'm sure they'll post here. It's the 3rd GW we've sighted at this same spot in 4 years. It's Matt and Adams 2nd underwater encounter at this spot. Keep up the work.
David
Thanks David. Yea, I saw the video posted on FB. I already talked to Adam and got the info on this most recent encounter. I'll hve to ask him about the past ones though.

That's some AWESOME footage, hell of an experience!

-Jimmy Barnes
- Jimmy Buffett

4/24/78 - 2/18/10
Old 02-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Mike, whats the status of the acoustic sensors and will we get a similar location update.Not that I will stop diving but I might try a different area

Capo-A6-Taylor-Moody-Drydock-HG-Casablanca-Powerful-EEF-BR-Anna...all that 100' or so corridor and all have sightings....WTF could they be eating?Rays or other sharks?I assume whale and porpoise inshore but offshore the finfish seem kinda small to support that mass.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #26
Butcher

Great white, 170 ft, due east of Sebastian, 12-14 ft.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #27
Butcher

Not the best video but you can see the fin towards the end of the video.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #28
Trailrunner

Very interesting vid, thanks for posting it. Nice to see something truly interesting that is shark related without some dumbass creating safety issues for others in the future.
Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
pirate_diver
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Mike, whats the status of the acoustic sensors and will we get a similar location update.Not that I will stop diving but I might try a different area

Capo-A6-Taylor-Moody-Drydock-HG-Casablanca-Powerful-EEF-BR-Anna...all that 100' or so corridor and all have sightings....WTF could they be eating?Rays or other sharks?I assume whale and porpoise inshore but offshore the finfish seem kinda small to support that mass.
The receivers we deployed offshore last year detected 2 whites over a 1-2 month period. One shark, was dected 3 days (one day on the Anna, the next day on the powerful, and the 3rd day on the Spike)...then left but came back 1 month later to the Spike. This was from late Feb/early march - late March.

The other was around (also in late March) on the Powerful for a few days before leaving.

We just deployed another 4 receviers inshore (1 off Nassau Sound, 2 off the SJR Inlet, and 1 off St. Augustine Inlet) at the end of last month. They will be out for about 2 years. We will be downloading the offshore receivers again sometime this summer.

As far as what they could be feeding on, there is a lot of speculation about this. Originally it was assumed to be the Right Whales, which is still a possibility though it is not likely they are actively hunting healthy whales...more likely taking sick/injured ones or scavanging dead ones. Another possibility, inshore, would be dolphins and large drum (evidence of both). There is also thoughts they may be taking larger turtles, as many of the aerial sightings are often within a short distance of groups of turtles. Of course, anything is posisble for a large shark...they could eat whatever the feel like, whenever they want.

Have you had any recent sightings?

-Jimmy Barnes
- Jimmy Buffett

4/24/78 - 2/18/10
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #30
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

So has anyone been tracking this beauty? Her name is Katherine, here is a link (one of hundreds) on the Great White that passed through West Palm, Ft. Lauderale, Miami, and into the Keys...I saw another bit on CNN of all places, guys have been spearing in Vero and Sebastian, and was harassed by a Great White...he actually filmed it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/1...katharine.html
Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote